• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possible Project to smooth and coat jet pumps

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is really cool stuff. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What's the measurable benefit? I'd want at least 5mph to make it with my time. Seems like a lot of work for a possibility immeasurable gain.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What's the measurable benefit? I'd want at least 5mph to make it with my time. Seems like a lot of work for a possibility immeasurable gain.
According to industry testing coated pumps are around 7% more efficient they also last longer in harsh environments. Perhaps a couple of MPH on top of what a what the boat would otherwise do in optimal condition.

For me there is a benefit of refurbishing old pumps which I would like to do anyway plus I might gain a little on top.

If I were buying a new boat I would consider the coating as a way to protect the pumps.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmm. Are you saying 7% better mpg? Under all conditions? That would be huge.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmm. Are you saying 7% better mpg? Under all conditions? That would be huge.
This article discusses a 6% increase in efficiency and 12.5% decrease in energy usage for a new water utility pump https://esemag.com/water/polymer-coatings-can-significantly-improve-water-pump-efficiency/ .

I have read other articles that talked about larger increases in efficiency in used pumps.

Of course our pumps are used differently so until someone (possibly me) tries it we will not know what can be accomplished.

@swatski, do you have thoughts on this?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce I think any performance enhancements would be an unforeseen plus. The real benefit I can see here is abating premature wear on the pump and impeller. Due to the way our pumps are used, it would be terribly difficult to document any gains in efficiency.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This article discusses a 6% increase in efficiency and 12.5% decrease in energy usage for a new water utility pump https://esemag.com/water/polymer-coatings-can-significantly-improve-water-pump-efficiency/ .

I have read other articles that talked about larger increases in efficiency in used pumps.

Of course our pumps are used differently so until someone (possibly me) tries it we will not know what can be accomplished.

@swatski, do you have thoughts on this?
I'm not sure that correlates well due to scaling issues. Their pump runs over 4400 gallon/minute.

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What type of cavitation are we dealing with ? It seems to me that since the pumps operate in a wide range of water inlet conditions that create varied inlet velocities the coatings would be as previously stated more of a preventive measure to reduce the results of cavitation and not eliminate it.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is exactly what I have learned! It is impossible to make predictions with our pumps, it is all empirical. IMO.

That said, anything that seals the air out will help.

--

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Chip F., I am having difficulty finding Belzona 1341. Do you know if your supplier sells it? My thinking is that I might use 2/3rds of the $350 500 gram package on one coat of the pumps.

Perhaps @Jim Robeson will find that one of the 3M Scothkote products would be perfect for us.
@Bruce Are you referring to something that would be a direct replacement for the Belzona product??

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce Are you referring to something that would be a direct replacement for the Belzona product??
Yes, I am unsure if any of 3Ms products are marketed to compete with Belzona 1341 but it seems likely that 3M would produce a similar polymeric coating.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, I am unsure if any of 3Ms products are marketed to compete with Belzona 1341 but it seems likely that 3M would produce a similar polymeric coating.
I'll do a little research on Belzona and see if we have something comparable and let you know.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Chip F., I am having difficulty finding Belzona 1341. Do you know if your supplier sells it? My thinking is that I might use 2/3rds of the $350 500 gram package on one coat of the pumps.

Perhaps @Jim Robeson will find that one of the 3M Scothkote products would be perfect for us.
@Bruce ... haven't forgot about you, just been busy. We are taking on some new products and have had my hands full lately. I did look at the MSDS on that Belzona and we have some, if not all of those raw materials in the plant. Just need to locate the engineer that has responsibility for those materials. Then I should be able to tell you if we have something like it or better.