• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

possible towers

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So the wife and i keep looking at different towers. Keeping the price low is a big factor, but we want to purchase once and be done. So we are looking at a package deal.
We want the tower, bimini, speakers, and racks.
I am interested in forward swept towers and coates black. Just a matter of preference for this boat i guess.
Ok, one option we came across just recently was the "cuda" from big air. Looks like a strong tower, although perhaps not as edgy as some, but comes with all the pieces for 2k.
http://www.wakeessentials.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=C-BA-CUDA1

Next up is the Aerial free ride. Nice looking tower, love the large bimini and even talked about putting the bimini on other towers.
http://www.h2osportswarehouse.com/v/vspfiles/wakeboard-towers/aerial-wakeboarding-freeride-bk.asp

I believe we have all seen the monster mtk. Several ss's have put this on. Nice tower. Package gets you everything except bimini, but with that added on you basically get to 3k as well.
http://www.monstertower.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=PAC3

Sorry if the links aren't perfect. Doing this from bed on my phone and having issues linking it all.
I will be searching out more options, but with those there, i certainly go for anything more than 3k for a package price.
Let me know any experience or advice! This isn't my first time looking and wanting to buy, but the timing and money are a little better this winter.
Wish me happy shopping!

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If it were me, I'd stay away from the universal towers. I've been told their joints are points to constantly retighten and they shake more than custom ones. You can get a Samson tower loaded with everything for not much more, and they build it solid to your specs. They'll discount packages like you are looking for so don't get scared away. I priced a reverse arch, with two racks, wired, with tower speakers and amps for around 4K in the spring...the speakers and amps were a lot of that 4K

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The Skylon ones just didn't give me that edgy sexy appeal I guess. I did look at them. One forward swept arch, and it has a funky bar on top. I'm sure it's fine, just not for me, ya know?
Samson towers, are expensive. Like, I do love the look of that Switchblade one, but over $4k for just the tower?! Holy cow man. I'm sure it's beautiful. But when I can get some of the others for a grand more, I just don't see why exactly. Maybe I'll get one of them and not be happy, I dunno.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think the Ariel tower looks the best (the other towers look like standard towers mounted backwards) but the combo deal on the Cuda can't be beat. A few things I would be concerned with on any of the combos:

1. The quality of the speakers, if they suck you can always replace them and reuse the enclosures (for an additional fee).
2. Scratching the powder coat off of the tower. My tower doesn't get a lot of use but takes what I consider to be standard abuse from things bumping into it, rubbing against it, etc. Sometimes ring wearing guests use it as a handle and the bottom of their rings could easily wear through power coat in just a few minutes a cruising.
3. Lack of a rear view mirror. There are less expensive options that mount to the window frame but if you want an integrated look one mounted to the tower is the only way to go, for $150 to $300 more. Lately I've been using the mirror more often especially in high traffic situations. I took the swiveling wakeboard rack the came with my boat when I first got off it and haven't remounted it since (this was a full two season ago now but I've found that the floor ski locker will hold up to three boards so I use it instead of a rack).

It's all relative but the best towers I've seen are the stock ones from master craft, zero flex, or so they are advertised but they are also the most expensive towers and accessories I've seen at $6k+ for the tower and $800 per wakeboard rack (swiveling and locking with no bungee cords), probably more now as I priced these items years ago.

Have fun shopping.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Ronnie the abuse factor s something i didn't comsider, at least not in that way. Since i have kids you would think i would! This makes me wonder which would be better, powder coated or paint. Powder coat chips would not be cool. I assume you need to strip the whole tower and re do it. I can have my father in law do it, but i pay for product and then owe him favors. Paint i can do myself. Can't be any harder than painting my (sold) 66 mustang!
So now there are more things to consider

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Actually, I am advocating the SS look or consider getting it in SS than powder coating or painting it. Before you decide on either search for the long term results of those here and on yjb . I'm sure a few guys have powder coated or painted their 242 or AR towers, I've read at least one string comprehensive string on the subject. As I recall, he powder Coated it black but since he just did it he couldn't draft a long term review. It cost him around $300 but he went onto describe some of the pros and cons as well.
I will post a link if I can find it.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hmmmm, i wonder how durable it is as well, but i do love the black look!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Love the look of that Aerial Tower!!! The MTK tower on @trace boat looks great on the SS as well!!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I guess a mock up on my own boat will help figure it out. Perhaps have it mounted a little further back? The drawbacks of a forward swept tower I guess!
So what do you guys think about the placement of the bimini for wake surfing? I guess worst case I don't put it out while we surf?
@jcyamaharider @buckbuck @sx210owner ?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yes, it really has so little windshield. It's kinda cool like that! It's like tall heels on women; sure it's not practical in any way shape or form, but it sure looks good!
See, I did see the pictures, but we had figured on getting the new bimini with it since ours is getting pretty ratty. The way they have done it, it goes right inside of the tower. That could maybe be doable and save money.
But the location they have it is farther back than I figured, but it would probably work no problem for wake surfing there. I don't know if if's feasable to even have it further forward or not.

The real question is if this guy has seen our site or not, lol

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know if it would get in the way our not , sorry man

Kross

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So what did you get!? And if you did, pics please!

We are shopping now for a tower. Overall the FreeRide by AerialWakeboarding looks the best to me. Any "lessons learned"? My only concern is that I want to mount the tower towards the middle of the boat (below the glass windows on the side of the boat, instead of mounting it directly behind the windows) and I'm worried the height won't be enough to walk comfortably. Any thoughts from anyone? Thanks for this post, very helpful so far.

- Kross

richardp1557

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I searched months last year for a wakeboard tower. One important feature for me besides quality was the ease of collapsing so that it would fit in my storage shed. The one thing which kept me away from the Aerial towers w/ bimini tops was that the bimini top wasn't collapsible. Once it was on the only way to fold it out of the way was to take it completely off. I ended up w/ the Samson Razor Tower which is amazingly easy to fold. The quality is fantastic, the metal they use does not get hot in high temperatures and the thickness of the tower makes it strong. Hope this helps. 20140809_141616.jpg

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If it were me and I had to have black, I'd get a stainless or aluminum and then coat it with Plastidip. Plastidip is removable, forgiving enough to be applied by amateurs (me) and still look good and can be touched up, unlike powder coat. I'm pretty much done with powdercoated anything... Every powdercoated product I've had has eventually flaked off, which the exception of Yamaha motorcycle rims. In a marine environment, I wouldn't expect powdercoat to last more than two years without flaking. Just my opinion, might be worth considering.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Still haven't purchased as the funds went into a 2016 bimini trip fund.
Probably going with the freeride tower. Sign up for the emails and they give great deals!

wschmidt05

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, now I am wondering for you wake surfing guys, would the bimini on the Aerial tower be any problem?

http://www.h2osportswarehouse.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BT-FRTWRBIM-SS

I have this tower on my 2005 230 and the factory bimini will not work with it. The tower narrows considerably at the top. I'm still looking into a custom collapsible bimini b/c the Aerial one looks like a PITA if you don't want a full time bimini. No offense to whomever owns the 212ss from earlier in the thread, but that tower looks mounted way to far back. Kinda goofy looking...