• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pre-2016 horn replacement - banish the duck!

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The ridiculous quacking device that Yamaha called a "horn" pre- about 2016 gave out at the start of last year. Made due with an air horn at hand and kept meaning to replace it the whole season but a pain to do with the boat on the lift.
Ordered the newer version (which is a Fiamme horn rather than the piezo of before) but the shape is wrong and the size of the grill is different (smaller).
Turns out that all you have to do is widen the hole a bit and the new one will fit! It bolts to the outside of the hull so no contortionist required - and fewer fiberglass shard cuts.
Yeah, the grille is a bit smaller but by careful placement and a couple of new screw holes, the new grill covers the old screw holes and fits in nicely.
The hole for the original is circular and for the new one you'll need a rectangular (offset!) one. This is one of the worst hole cuts I've ever done but jigsaw died about 30 seconds into it so hand cut, deliberately small and then enlarged with a rasp to make sure that the end result was centered on the horn depression.
Oh, I cut the wires and attached them to the new horn with new spade connectors. The original horn leads extend about 10" into the hull where they are connected to the boat wiring with spade connectors - too far in to attach to the new horn with the boat wiring. Easier to just cut and add new connectors.
I must say that I was tempted to replace them since the black wire was badly rusted. (hard to see in this picture). Cutting it back a bit farther I got some decent clean wire.
End result:

And, for the sound effect:

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So what horn is this?

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Great, thanks! The one on my 2013 works fine, but it's a white plastic and it has yellowed and cracked, so I've been looking to replace it. This looks like it will be great.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought about replacing mine with a air horn, but my son loves to just blow it for now reason. So the quiet one is perfect.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great solution for a horn that is still mounted from the outside.

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Many thanks for your write-up. I purchased this horn and installed it this weekend. I was super nervous making the appropriate cut for it, but once it was done and installed it looks and sounds phenomenal. I couldn't be happier!

CaptainBill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Many thanks for your write-up. I purchased this horn and installed it this weekend. I was super nervous making the appropriate cut for it, but once it was done and installed it looks and sounds phenomenal. I couldn't be happier!
Funtacular, could you post a pic? I also have 2008 AR230. What was your experience with the mounting holes?

Thx!!

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can take an installed pic but cant remove as I put a bead of clear silicon around the outside. Just had to cut the hull enough to fit the new unit down inside. Aside from the cut everything was a straight forward swap. Edit: upon re-examination of the original post I believe I lined up the cover to fit over the existing holes and then drilled in new holes to match the new cover.

Last edited:

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Msavold's installed pic is exactly what mine looks like.

CaptainBill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great, thx. As long as the old holes are covered, I am good.

Pewaukee Dave

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If anyone is looking for one of these newer horns, I have new one sitting in the garage.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If anyone is looking for one of these newer horns, I have new one sitting in the garage.
I have been holding off replacing mine, as the old style just craps out so quickly. Maybe these new style will last longer. What's it worth? I see what Amazon wants for them. (ouch)

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How did you cut the fiberglass or what should I use for best results?

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a jigsaw running slowly. I put some tape over it first. (My jigsaw died half way through so I switched to a (hand) hole saw and a rasp to square it off.
And the recommendation when drilling the screw holes is to make them the same size as the screw (not too tight), running the drill in reverse to avoid splintering or splitting the fiberglass.
Secret to happiness is to take your time and work slowly. In the end it's covered by the grill so complete precision isn't essential - as long as you don't go past where the grill goes!