• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Price of rebuilt 1.8 for our SX240

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
could water have gotten in the intake filter housing while you were sloshing around trying to get the drain plugs out or was the water really that high ??

Spaggs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just released the water this past Sunday.

Spaggs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Water was that high.

Spaggs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the bottom of the filter was in the water and it wicked up to saturate the whole filter.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so the big question is, was the water high enough to drain down the air intake into the cylinders,
just because the plugs were dry doesn't mean you don't have water sitting on top of the piston,

if you try to run the engine with the spark plugs installed and there is water in the cylinder, it can't compress the water and then it bends/breaks the piston rods and then your talking big money,

if you crank the engine with the plugs out and there is water in the cylinder it will just push it out the spark plug hole with no damage,

you're still probably ok but I wouldn't gamble my engine at this point of the process especially since the air filter was wet,

Spaggs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your statement is sound.
Since the engine won’t start, I’m guessing that turning the engine over with no spark is ok to do without the water hose. Ok/not ok?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it's ok,

at this point you doing two things,
making sure the electric and starter are still working,
and if they are cranking the engine over blowing any water out of the cylinder,
I would think 3-4 starter cranks would be sufficient if you don't see any obvious signs

This point is very important,
you NEVER turn on the water hose without the engine running

it's ok to run the engine engine at idle for 1 minute without the cooling water

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Scott, you are giving this guy the best advice in the world. It's as if you had broke the the ice and sunk a 4 stroke snowmobile in a lake before! (smile) It's exactly the process one should follow for a flooded engine bay.

It sounds like the major crisis has been averted as long as that engine is not cranked over with water in it. I have seen plenty of engines get submerged and live to tell about it, if they avoided the dreaded hydrolock.

I giggled when he responded about the price of the air filter. If I were in those shoes, I think I would be counting my blessings at that price if those two engines fire up.

To the OP, what is your location? Bringing up water in the bilge and lack of winterization, is a non issue, unless you live in my neighborhood. -40f will turn your hull into the largest ice cube tray you have ever seen (smile)

Spaggs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Northeast Forsyth county, GA.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Northeast Forsyth county, GA.
Ya, your location is a non issue for freezing and you don't winterize. You prepare for long term storage as noted in your manual. The only procedure probably missed was pulling the plug when you put it on the trailer. That's hindsight now, you probably won't forget that one in the future. Or you will leave your bilge pump on if in the water.

Spaggs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Noted and filed. I’m making up a
cheat sheet that will be laminated and stuck to my forehead. My wife agreed to using a hammer.

Spaggs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IMG_2607.jpeg
About to crank it up (without spark plugs), but before I do I wanted to install a new air filter.
I just received the filter on the right as a replacement for the one on the left. The surface area is roughly half of my old one.
I called Partzilla and a guy named Bobby verified that Yamaha has changed the filter.
Should I send this back and go naked or install it?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't speak to the filter replacement,

for your testing purposes today, cranking with the spark plugs out and if all clear, replacing the spark plugs and running the engines for 30 seconds you don't need an air filter on ( unless you just had a tremendous amount of dust/debris that might get sucked in)

Last edited:

Bubba7827

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think you meant to say "cranking withOUT the spark plugs". Didnt ya?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Spaggs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just got done cranking without spark plugs in. Port sounds ok. Starboard has a tick to it.
Ok to replace spark plugs and run them with the garden hose attachment?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The big thing is, if you cranked it and there was water in the cylinders, it literally would have sprayed out the spark plug hole. There could be small amounts of water, but the likelyhood is minimal.

Big question, was that air filter wet? It looks like it has some sort of moisture on it. If that engine had been run with water in the cylinders, hydrolock would have happened and catastrophic failure like a bend/broken rod. You would know. If you are hearing a slight noise, I would bet it's just from being cranked out of the water.

I would bet you are ok, and as noted, unless the environment is dirty/dusty, not having the air filter for that short of time would not be an issue.

Good luck,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
just to recap,
port side was the engine with the wet air filter ??

great that they both crank,
no water is visible coming out the cylinders ? if not water then;

I would replace the spark plugs and run one engine at a time for 20-30 seconds, we want to make sure each engine is capable of running,

if they will crank and run, then I would run them one at a time with the hose attached for maybe 2-3 minutes just to see if you hear anything unusual, then check the oil level and color,

if everything seems ok I would run them for 10 minutes on the hose (individually), check the oil again and if no problems I think your good to go (other than the airfilter)

remember;
1. get thee engine running
2. then turn on the hose water
when your ready to stop
3. turn the hose water off
4. then turn the engine off

Spaggs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Scottintexas,
Just got done with the different stages you provided. Oil looks clear without any loss.
So, I guess we are ok?
Both engines sound like a lot of racket, but it is a consistent racket. I guess I’ve never heard the engines running while out of the water.
Thanks for all your help. If you are ever in North Georgia, please give me a pm and I’d be glad to treat you and yours to a steak dinner.
Take care.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do like steak !!

glad to hear so far everything is good

I might take it to the boat ramp with no expectation than idling around the dock area for 20 min and if everything is still normal a 5 minute high speed run and then check the oil again

after that I’d be confident all is well

glad that you found us and hope you keep posting about your outings