• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Pulling Pump On Newer SVHO W/ CJS

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Over the weekend we made our first trip in the new boat (2021 195S) down to Greers Ferry Lake in Central Arkansas. We launched the boat and upon take off the boat would rev up, make terrible clanking noises, and barely move. This was the first time out with the Cobra steering so I was afraid I had messed up the install. We limped the 50 feet back to the trailer and pulled out the boat. I discovered a chunk of wood lodged in the impeller and was unable to remove it. I didn't have my service manual so I was trying to google the correct procedure to pull the pump on the newer boats while a group of anxious passengers stood by. I found a post on here where someone said that on the new boats you have to remove the CJS steering, disconnect the steering linkage, disconnect the bucket linkage, remove the nozzle/impeller assembly, and finally remove the jet pump unit. This is the procedure I followed to gain access to the impeller. I have a few questions regarding this procedure and wanted to post them all together in case someone else also finds themselves in a pickle.

1. Is there any procedure I should have tried before pulling the boat and pump? For example, full throttle reverse to possibly dislodge the wood?

2. I removed the bucket linkage by removing the two bolts that connect the linkage to the shift bucket. Is this the easiest/proper way to disconnect it?

3. It appears that if the bolt/nut for the steering linkage were turned the opposite way then the CJS system would not have to be removed in order to remove the steering linkage. It seems this may require some trimming of the cobra fin. Has anyone done this?

4. The factory service manual shows the procedure to remove the jet pump unit as follows: disconnect steering linkage, disconnect shift cable, remove 5 bolts holding jet pump unit to transom, then insert a flathead screwdriver into the gaps between jet pump unit and transom plate to separate them and pull the entire unit out. I'm not sure how you are supposed to reach a screwdriver between the transom plate and jet pump unit as there is very little room. I ended up prying upwards on the jet pump just enough to to break the sealant then pulled outwards with my arms. I'm concerned that prying on the underside could potentially cause damage to the driveshaft or parts on the other end. Does anyone know exactly how you are supposed to pry between the transom plate and jet pump unit?

In the end, I was able to remove the wood and we enjoyed a solid day on the water.

Attachments

Good man! Pulling the pump right there at the boat ramp. That's dedication. Nothing is gonna stop you from getting on the lake. Sorry, just giving you a pat on the back, not familiar with the new boats.

You did pretty good.

#1 i would say if it was lodged in so toght tou couldnt pull it out then reversing down on it would not do anything.

#2 you dont need to do that. No tools required. Its a spring loaded ball joint. Pull back the retaining sleeve on the cable and the cable falls
Off the ball

#3 you can install the steering bolt from bottom to top so you dont need to remove the cjs. Blue loctite it when you reinstall.

#4 just a stubby flat head works if its pulled often and not all corroded together. If you need more oomph then you drop the ride plate under the pump and you jave open acess to the whole pump

Usually if you get a piece of wood in the impeller you go up from under the pump through the intake grate and work it loose or break it up with a long screwdriver or tire iron and you do not need to pull the pump as for the linkage bolt you can install it upside down if you want. and worst case you just pull off the intake grate and get up in there lots easier than pulling the pump

Usually if you get a piece of wood in the impeller you go up from under the pump through the intake grate and work it loose or break it up with a long screwdriver or tire iron and you do not need to pull the pump as for the linkage bolt you can install it upside down if you want. and worst case you just pull off the intake grate and get up in there lots easier than pulling the pump

If I would have had an extra long screw driver I think I could have pecked it out from the under side. Would you recommend wrapping the end of the screw driver to reduce the risk of slipping and scoring the impeller or wear ring? Also, I’ve read some people are hesitant to drop the grate. Is this primarily because they don’t have the proper sealant on hand to reseal it? I could have definitely gotten the wood out with the pliers I had if the grate was off.

You did pretty good.

#1 i would say if it was lodged in so toght tou couldnt pull it out then reversing down on it would not do anything.

#2 you dont need to do that. No tools required. Its a spring loaded ball joint. Pull back the retaining sleeve on the cable and the cable falls
Off the ball

#3 you can install the steering bolt from bottom to top so you dont need to remove the cjs. Blue loctite it when you reinstall.

#4 just a stubby flat head works if its pulled often and not all corroded together. If you need more oomph then you drop the ride plate under the pump and you jave open acess to the whole pump

Awesome thanks for the info. I’ll need to find a little stubby flathead to keep in my bag.

This is what I used to pull my pumps or similiar, the first time. It was a bitch to remove my stbd pump, Yamaha had so much sealant on it. I would advise anyone to pull there pumps off at home with a beer first. If they were sealed like mine ,doing this at the launch with friends ready to go out would be very stressful. I also didn't re-seal with no ill effect, been out 8 plus times without sealing and still breaking 50+mph. My 2017 Ar190 never had sealant on the pump mounting face not sure if they started doing that on 2018 or newer but they didn't spare any on my 2020.

Back