• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question about the new Snap in full boat Sea Dek Yamaha uses in their new boats.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks guys for all the info, Very helpful. Do you think over the coming years Yamaha will include the glue down stuff in the entire boat right out of the factory? Or would probably never happen?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not likely. Yamaha had that opportunity when they saw the success of our product and the penetration into the market. I could be wrong....

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I never removed mine all season last year and experienced no issues with mold. I play hard and put her up wet after every outing.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
One of the first things I did to my boat when I bought it was to fully replace the factory snap-in carpet with seadek from @JetBoatPilot. I can see where there could be a specific use case for the snap in stuff, but it just doesn't apply to me. I want as few maintenance items as possible, and anything that could negatively affect comfort in any way (the snaps) needs to go, if possible. I also added a number of pieces above the standard seadek kit, and had a few pieces cut special even beyond that. Doing that with snap in mats would be much more difficult. Before I bought this boat, I had no idea about seadek, or the difference between the glue down and snap-in carpets. Now, if I bought a brand new 2018 tomorrow, glue down seadek would be the first purchase, without a doubt.

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have the old school snap in carpet, and I leave it snapped in all summer at my dock. I take it out in the fall when I 'winterize', because past experience has taught me that's when they get moldy. I also leave them out until I change the oil; I'm not super neat and a few drops on the floor are OK, but I'd be bummed if it was on the carpet. If I changed to a seadeck product, I would want to remove it for those reasons.

SandfleaDDH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Love mine, and haven't had any issues with them..... HOWEVER.... last weekend, I pulled them out to clean them real good, and when I laid them all back in the boat to snap them down, I somehow forgot to actually snap down the ream most ( and largest ) pad. Thing went flying out of the boat going down the road and I didn't realize it until I was at the ramp. Called the wife who was on her way and she miraculously saw it on the side of the freeway! Not a scratch or tire mark on it, and it didn't cause an accident. SO THANKFUL! But yeah... remember to snap them back down, lol.

jburt26

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2019 212 ltd s with both, the rear platform steps are glue down while the rest of the boat is snap in type. While they are both very comfortable to the feet and a major upgrade from previous carpets...my limited experience would lean towards the snap in. The seadek on the rear steps is scuffed and stained, while the snap in looks brand new. To be fair, I am the 2nd owner but I know the previous owner did not remove the snap in while using. So unless the steps were subject to much more abuse, maybe boarding with shoes...? I would lean towards the snap in at this point. Curious on other's thoughts about dogs, scuffing, and general longevity? Also, the table has glue down and that is also scuffed.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2019 212 ltd s with both, the rear platform steps are glue down while the rest of the boat is snap in type. While they are both very comfortable to the feet and a major upgrade from previous carpets...my limited experience would lean towards the snap in. The seadek on the rear steps is scuffed and stained, while the snap in looks brand new. To be fair, I am the 2nd owner but I know the previous owner did not remove the snap in while using. So unless the steps were subject to much more abuse, maybe boarding with shoes...? I would lean towards the snap in at this point. Curious on other's thoughts about dogs, scuffing, and general longevity? Also, the table has glue down and that is also scuffed.
The snap down material is the same exact material used on the swim platform. It's just laminated with three layers and a binding is sewn around the perimeter to make it look more like a snap down product and trimmed out. The odds are that in your case the traffic was constant on the swim platfrom over the years but the interior pads may not have been used as often. Many choose to leave them in the garage on days that they are concerned with staining like fishing days for instance.

The snap down has its own set of issues though. We've found that it tends to expand and contract in various temperatures, making it look great at times and at other times it looks like it does not fit well. It also requires cleanup beneath the pads on occasion which adds to your work load. But the biggest issue we've seen is snaps that won't snap without immense force or snaps that rust together and break when you try to pull the mats up.

For these reasons we've opted not to pursue the snap down option in this form. We have on the other hand created a snap down tile product for the SeaDoo Switch, but it's a radically different scenario there so not applicable for this conversation.

PatrickKolby

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The “new stuff” is made by MarineMat. Our 2021 212 has nearly 400 hours and the stuff still looks new.

jburt26

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Syntec I believe is our snap down, it is all very nice! Those tiles for the Switch are very impressive.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like about 50/50 my vote is for the snap in. While on fresh water lakes I’m always doing maintenance wiping things down keeping the boat clean and detailed. The mats will get unsnapped dipped in the water and wiped down It’s amazing how much dirt comes off even when they look clean. They dry quickly in the sun if left draped on the swim deck allowing air to flow. The snaps do need some maintenance if your on salt water take chapstick, uncolored and apply a little to the snap receiver this will prevent them from tearing through the Matt if pulled to hard. If you find one stuck get a snap removal tool it has a fork shape that allows leverage to pop it loose.