• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question about water in the bilge and the cooling system.

Nightmare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My last outing was back in November. The boat has been on dry land since that trip, but I start it every month and run both engines for about 8 minutes.

I assume any water in the bilge (and other areas that I can't see) should have evaporated in 6 months.

I moved the boat yesterday in prep to go to Lake Perris Ca. Lake Perris has a required muscle inspection and the whole interior of the boat must be dry (engine compartment, Ski locker, Anchor Locker, etc). As I move the boat I find a fair amount of water in the bilge area.

The middle section, between the engines and the rear section where the actual pump is located. No water in the small front section with the 2 plastic drain plugs.

Bilge.jpg

I assume this water is from running the engines on the hose. Is it normal to get some water in this area, or do I have a leak somewhere in the cooling? The water isn't spraying into this engine compartment, because it only showed up once I moved the boat.

Had it rained recently or since the last time you took your boat out? It could be from the cup holders in the boat leaking rain water into the bilge.

You should not get any water in the bilge from running the engines on the hose unless you have a leak in the cooling system.

I have the Yamaha deluxe mooring cover on the boat. It had a big puddle of water even with the poles setup. I guess it may have leaked at a seam or something.

There is only one good way to get it all out and that is on the trailer with the bow jacked all the way up on a 6 x 6 block of wood, pull the drain plug. That got all mine out.

You can only get some of it out while on the water. To do that make sure the pump is on and drive your boat to a speed just before planing when the bow is highest. Hold it there. All the water below in the real bilge will flow back to the pump above and be picked up and seen coming out the starboard side bilge thru hull. Oh, and don't lose your hat while looking back.

But the trailer method is the only way to "dry" the boat out.

I have a small section of road by my house with a hump. I use my oil change ramps to get the back of the truck as high as possible. It still doesn't get all the water out.
I'm going to find a very steep hill in my neighborhood (maybe my neighbor's driveway) and see how much more water I can get out.

Back