• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question from a newbie about boat fenders (Babz v. Mission Sentry)

kdlopez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Hey everyone - new boat owner here (Yamaha 252xe) needing some advice. This past weekend a larger boat tied up to me and we had some decent sized roller come through and I've now got my first scratch. I was using the regular rubber bumpers I see other folks use, but with the cleat placement on in the middle of the boat, it's hard to tie the bumper there in a way that allows the thickest part of the bumper to be in the correct area.

Anyway, through research on this forum, I've seen people recommend the Mission Sentry fenders as well as Babz fenders. Can anyone that's run into a similar issue provide clarity on the best option between these two? It seems the Babz would provide great protection but I wonder if they would make it more difficult to walk between boats when tied off since they're so large (will they fit under the seats while inflated). The Mission Sentry seem like a good option but it looks like some people have had issues with them coming untied. I've also read you can't position them very low from the cleat if needed. Any help is much appreciated1

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I have the Mission's, so I can give you some input there.

I like them, but if you don't lock them firmly, they can come loose and drop down. So not a foolproof option. But I do like a lot about them, including the hole in the middle. You can run your line through the hole--then even if something comes out of adjustment, the fender is always between your boat and what you are tied to.

I also have a set of Taylor Made (normal ones) that are tied to a little bracket thing: Amazon.com: Davis Instruments Tender II Fender Clips, White (393): Automotive
The bracket will fit on the window or on a bar, so I am not limited to just the cleats (in fact, I put the back one on the grab bar, not the cleat).

Best advice I have seen when rafting like that is to use some of the larger ball-type fenders to keep the boats apart. I generally don't raft at all, but when I do it is in very calm conditions. When I raft, I try to also make sure I am tied off forward and aft, and we both put fenders out which gives more protection. I would not worry too much about the boats being too far apart to walk between. It's summer! People can swim... :)

Anyway, hope some of that helps.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Can't beat babz when rafting up, Everybody else loves them and always asks where I got them. They get the job done and are very easy to inflate/deflate

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Go Babz, Exile, LetsTieUp if you want maximum protection (which should be what you look for in a fender). It won’t look as cool or stylish as a Sentry fender but if you want to keep scratches off your boat or at least give your boat a fighting chance in rough water then the large inflatable fenders are where it’s at.

I switched to the Exile ball fenders a few years ago when I got the new boat and I’ll never go back to any other fender.

D24BF779-3EC8-494C-8970-EAF9CAE5DA50.jpegE83BE8CD-869E-4E05-B587-2D252C67247B.jpeg

kdlopez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Awesome thank you all for the advice. My wife is normally the one in charge of putting the bumpers out so she's apprehensive of the babz, but maybe I can order them and we can try the inflate/deflate at home and send them back if she hates the idea.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can't beat babz when rafting up, Everybody else loves them and always asks where I got them. They get the job done and are very easy to inflate/deflate
I always get comments about the big babz at the dock! I have four, two deflated in the head compartment and two inflated and tied off in my slip. I use spring lines and bow and stern lines in the slip.

Babz go in at beginning of season and come out when done in October.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Awesome thank you all for the advice. My wife is normally the one in charge of putting the bumpers out so she's apprehensive of the babz, but maybe I can order them and we can try the inflate/deflate at home and send them back if she hates the idea.
Just fyi, they get easier to blow up after a few uses and stretching out. They are kind of stiff at first, now we don't even use a pump, it's quicker to just use your mouth 🤔😁

Last edited:

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love the mission fenders - I love mission products in general as they are so well made. I have the Sentry Fenders and can vouch for them for local dock tie ups and slips. They are a bit small for rafting IMHO. I love them for 90% of docking though and they store easy. If I was looking for rafting options - I think the Babz would be a good option - I don't raft off ever though - If I rafted off alot I would go with something like this from Mission - the Titan Mission Titan Tie Up Fender

I have the reef mat and it is worth every penny - I don't have the Titan but it looks awesome for tie ups if that is your thing.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I bought the large, inflatable (just initially, they stay inflated otherwise) black fenders off of Amazon. Pack of four, we only use two. Both of them store under the rear starboard bench just fine. The rope that came with them only lasted one season, I replaced them with some thick black fender rope.

For placement, we hang one from the tower, and one from the front grab rail. That leaves the cleats open for bungees or dock lines. This is for temp docking only though. If it's overnight they go through the front and rear cleats. If it's overnight and bad weather or boat traffic is a concern, I just pull the boat out of the water.

VaMarine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey everyone - new boat owner here (Yamaha 252xe) needing some advice. This past weekend a larger boat tied up to me and we had some decent sized roller come through and I've now got my first scratch. I was using the regular rubber bumpers I see other folks use, but with the cleat placement on in the middle of the boat, it's hard to tie the bumper there in a way that allows the thickest part of the bumper to be in the correct area.
First mistake you made was tying someone up to your brand new boat. There is no reason someone needs to tie up to your boat.

But with that said, where did they put their fenders? Please tell me you weren't the only person with fenders out. I would have suggested your fenders at front and back cleats (just like you are docking) and they place their fender at the middle cleat...

Generally the newer/more expensive boat determines if 1. someone gets to barge (if your the one set, its always your option, if your not set you choose to ask or not) 2. Where fenders go, and 3. Where you are in relation to other boats. (ex. If I'm against the dock, and someone wants to barge, I always give them the dock and I move to the outside, no reason to risk my boat being scratched twice.)

Last edited:

Heizen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I first saw this MISSION fender at a boat show I really wanted one. At that time there was a long lead time so I didn't buy one. The old white fenders I have on my boat don't stay in place very well. The strap system on the Sentrys is very easy to use, just push on the top when you get it in the right position and it locks in place. It seems to lock very well. We did a tie up with a lot of waves/boat movement and we had no problems with them coming loose.

Last edited:

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go for BABZ best and last fender you’ll ever need.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I don't think models or names matter - correct use and placement is key to protecting your boat. I often see people tie them too high or too low which defeats the purpose of using fenders. I use several plastic Danik hooks which allow you to instantly adjust the placement of the fender for the dock height.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Would you say Babz for dock too? Or is there a better option. I will not be tying up to other boats.
I have used two babz at my slip now for two seasons. It’s a running joke about my big black balls. They work perfectly in a slip. Especially if you use spring lines.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I use standard Taylor Made Fenders - 4 white and 2 blue. the blue ones have Fender Tenders on them and we use them to dip to the seal on the window frame. This makes it easy as everyone know exactly which fenders go where. We also tie a white one to the bar grab rail, and if needed another to the tower. This seems to provide good overall protection for the boat. When leaving it I the slip, we tie one fender to the middle cleat and call it good. I have a 10' wide slip with absolutely 0% chance of waves.

Yamaholic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have used two babz at my slip now for two seasons. It’s a running joke about my big black balls. They work perfectly in a slip. Especially if you use spring lines.
Hello Mark and @Crob83, I’m curious what you think about my situation. I just got a 12 foot wide slip. I need good fenders because my slip is at the beginning of the dock system such that I essentially have to dock and then pull into my slip (nice in a lot of ways, actually). I’m convinced Babz will be great BUT my boat (212s) has an almost 8 1/2 foot beam. This means I’ll only have 21 inches on each side of the boat, and potentially slightly less. I noted the Babz say max inflation is 24 inches and normal 22 inches. Obviously (at least I think) the fenders won’t be placed at the absolute widest point of the boat because they’ll hang down, but I’m wondering if it will be too tight of a fit. I’m also thinking it COULD be perfect. The slip has a lift as well. Any thoughts/insights? Thank you!