• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Questions about possible AR192 purchase

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
So we currently own a '92 Ski Nautique (Closed bow). We love the boat, but would prefer something we can use in salt water and that doesn't have a non-trimmable drivetrain hanging below the boat.

Our friend has a 2012 Speedster 150 that we go out on when we do hit the salt water. We love the boat, but not the lack of storage. We would love a Challenger 210, but they are hard to find and I'm not sure how I feel about buying a boat that is no longer being made by the original manufacturer.

So we started looking into smaller jetboats for under $40K new and seem to be settling on the AR192. We have yet to test drive one as our local dealer doesn't have any in stock.

My understanding is the 2012 has a 210HP motor. Some questions:

Does this boat have enough oomph to pull a wakeboarder with 6 people in the boat? My experience with a SeaDoo 180 said no way.

The storage looks decent, but was curious as to what owners actually thought.

Gauge cluster seems very sparse. Anything I would have to add after purchasing?

Any maintenance issues?

Any other issues I should know about this boat before I spend $$$?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I do more research. Thanks for your help.

LTM1964

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I have an SX192, same mechanicals as AR192.

I think it would pull a wakeboarder, tube, or someone on two skis with six people on board. Getting up on a wakeboard or two skis puts almost no burden on my boat. I wakeboard at around 18MPH so that isn't difficult regardless of the load in the boat.

There is a lot of storage space in the boat, my only complaint is having to remove the cushions to access most of the storage capacity.

The gauges are sparse. There is a lot of information available but you have to scroll through a display to see one function at a time.

Maintenance on the boat is easy. It isn't very fuel efficient but we don't go that far. We spend most of our time anchored in a cove.

If I thought I would have six or more people on board more than 25% of the time, I wouldn't buy a 19 footer. It would be very crowded and you would have to go full throttle for quite awhile to get on plane. I have only had four people in mine and having two females sitting in the bow made low speed steering much less precise.

Our SX192 is very comfortable and practical for my wife, the dog, and me, more people are OK occasionally.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
4 adults and 3 kids on my SX192 is getting crowded. It has plenty of power, but you loose a lot of speed if anyone sits in the bow.

I wouldn't get a 19' for 6 adults.

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Would love the 212, but that's pushing $48K. A bit more than I want to spend on a jetboat.

Our current ride is 2400 lbs with 285 hp. 6 adults and a wakeboarder and she still pulls like a beast. I understand the prop size and location make a difference, but I certainly don't want to sacrifice too much from what we already have performance wise.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have the NON-supercharged AR190 and although I can pull a wakeboarder with a full boat, I have to agree that more space inside would be preferable. The 19' is good for our growing family of 4, but when we have 4 adults and 2-3 kids its tight as all hell and slightly claustrophobic. Bad situation to buy and boat to find out its too small.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I almost got the 192 but once I got in it with my wife and 2 kids I saw the space issues coming. Went and sat in the 212 and bought it on the spot. Now that my son is 16 and invites a friend and usually a couple girls the 24 would be really great but Im "planning" on sticking with the 212. Remember its only $$ and that can be replaced, time cant be.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As you will hear, buy your second boat first. Or in your case, your third boat second. Do not waste your money on a new Yamaha as soon, there will be bargains to be snatched up all over the country. Mechanically the boats are flawless. Very dependable. Turn key. Little maintenance except for the annual oil change and winterization. Buy a used, twin engine for 20-30K. More likely a 230 than a 212, as the 212's are harder to grab - but keep looking in the fall and winter, they will appear. Probably on this site. When I moved up from an LS2000, I was looking for a 212, or maybe a 230, and ultimately decided to buy the first deal which appeared. I picked up a perfect 2008 SX230, with 26 hours on it, warranted until March 2015 (you don't need a warranty) but this still had one as it was bought as a dealer leftover in 2011, for 23,900. You will regret shelling out for a new single engine which after one season and cramped quarters and no power in comparison to what you are used to, and you are trying to sell it on the secondary market for what is is worth with very little bites. Go used. Go Twin. Go 230 or 212 in the 20-30K range. As Evil Sports says, you will also thank me later. Guaranteed.

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Storage is great. It should do the pulling you need with 6 adults. I got up sunday on a slalom ski, and there were 7 adults (varying in size) in the boat. It worked for it, but got the job done. When we tube I limit it at 5 because I can give a much more exciting ride without the extra weight in the boat. Overall these smaller boats are weight sensitive, but capable. Only other note is the 192's are thirsty. I've had zero problems and I have over 90 hours on my 2013. I do the maintenance myself. Piece of cake.

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Good feedback. Thanks. I'm still concerned about the power and overall livable space with 6-7 adults. I need to run to the local dealer and check one out. We've looked at the Regal 200ESX and love it, but it's not cheap and used ones don't exist. Our next choice became yamaha. I'd love something like http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2012-Yamaha-212x-Jet-Drive-102489525

I think it would address many of my concerns about power and space, but then I'd like to know if there are any concerns about having 2 engines in regards to tuning and performance issues have 2 of everything.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My first twin boat, so far I really like it and have no issues.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have a 192 and love it. It has more than enough power than I ever need. I don't however tow with 6 -7 adults on board. But I feel like it's strong enough to do so. I was playing around with ballast not too long ago and had about 1100 lbs worth in the boat, along with 450 worth of people and had no trouble getting on plane. Storage is adequate for what I tend to bring along. Miles ahead of my previous Bayliner 175. It looks awesome, I often spend more time loading up at the end of the day answering questions from admirers, than I would normally just loading up.

All that being said, I had the opportunity to spend some time on @buckbuck 's 212x a few weeks ago and it's hard to compare the size difference. Not even close. Still very happy with the 192, and am in no hurry to upgrade, but do have a plan to do so, in 5 seasons or so.

Side note with the twins, I had the opportunity to see Buckbuck's wake with and without the Wake Wedge installed and the difference was night and day. The wave was awesome with it, and I was able to let go of the rope a little my first ever attempt surfing:winkingthumbsup"

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Storage is adequate for what I tend to bring along. Miles ahead of my previous Bayliner 175
I could totally understand that. It sounds like everything was a step up from your previous boat. For me the 192 is a step down in every way compared to our current boat in both length and power.

I plan on heading up to the dealer this Sat to see a 192 and I may go check out that 212x as well.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I could totally understand that. It sounds like everything was a step up from your previous boat. For me the 192 is a step down in every way compared to our current boat in both length and power.

I plan on heading up to the dealer this Sat to see a 192 and I may go check out that 212x as well.
A 192 is certainly a step down in power and a few inches in length (and in a different league regarding the quality of the wake), but I'm pretty certain there is a good bit more room in a 192 than a 90's model closed bow Nautique. I had an 80's Malibu Sunsetter (21' open bow...bigger than a closed bow Nautique) that I don't recall feeling any roomier than my current 192.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't think you will find a more spacious 19'er on the market. I have been very pleased with mine. I have had 6 adults on board and pulled up boarders with out too much difficulty, but you are reaching towards the upper limits there (but she'll do it just fine). I have to agree with LTM1964 on his complaint that the seats would be far better with hinges and gas assist. The seat vinyl material could be of better quality too. They are covered in pretty thin vinyl. Those are really my only issues. Maintenance is extremely easy to do yourself. Make sure you drive it in the waters you are going to boat in before you buy though. I have noticed with mine that it is so light weight that it gets beat up pretty hard in heavy lake chop, but that is very different from ocean waves so I don't know if that would be an issue for you. The 192's are a blast to drive!

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
A 192 is certainly a step down in power and a few inches in length (and in a different league regarding the quality of the wake), but I'm pretty certain there is a good bit more room in a 192 than a 90's model closed bow Nautique. I had an 80's Malibu Sunsetter (21' open bow...bigger than a closed bow Nautique) that I don't recall feeling any roomier than my current 192.
I'm not sure I agree with you on the measurements. My current 196 is 4" longer than the 192, plus I have an additional 18" of teak platform so it's almost 2' longer overall. I think I maybe a few inches narrower, but storage on my 196 is pretty decent with the closed bow, side cargo nets and rear underseat storage. I can always use more though.

I plan on going to look at the 192 in person this Sat. I'm also going to check out the 212. The biggest issue for me with the 192 is still the single engine 210HP. I would prefer more power.........I've drievn my friends Challenger 180 with the 210 or 255 HP motor and it was a pig with a wakeboarder on the rope and 5 adults inside.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
That Nautique, like my Sunsetter has a v8 sitting right in the middle and unlike my Sunsetter, zero seating in front. I guess we'll have to disagree on room. Good-luck what ever you choose.

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
It was meant to hold 6 adults and is does so quite comfortably. 3 in front, 3 in the rear with plenty of legroom and storage. I was simply stating the obvious differences in size between the 2 boats. I can tell you're very happy with your 192, I'm just not sure it will have the power I am looking for. Again, that's why I am going to look at one Sat. Who knows, I may fall in love??????