• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Questions after having a potential sx230 purchase inspected.

ItsMike1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hey Guys,

I had a 2006 sx230 I was considering buying inspected today. One of the engines came back with bad compression. The four cylinders came in at 152,178,171, and 168. Mechanic who inspected it said the cylinder will probably drop soon and the engine will need to be rebuilt. The boat is a stupid good deal and the owner said he'd consider a price drop because it may need to be rebuilt.

Now, upon doing some research I learned that doing a compression test on a cold engine could be seriously flawed. The engine was not warmed up prior to doing the test. Is it at all possible that is enough to create the compression difference? If it did need to be rebuilt how much would it cost to have done?

Im still considering putting an offer on this boat but trying to figure out what id have to pay to justify the risk.

Thanks for any help.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Those numbers cold don't scare me at all. Barely out of spec in fact. Particularly from what I gather is from a boat that has been sitting for awhile. If I was a gambling man, I'd wager the numbers will be well within spec when hot.

As for rebuild guesstimate- a cheap used ski is typically the best route to go for an engine replacement. Figure on a $3500 worst case scenario, many times you can find em cheaper.

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I totally agree. Those numbers from a cold engine that's been sitting for a while wouldn't scare me either. Did you run the engines or just a comp check?

Last edited:

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree it could be okay if cold and dry (no oil added to cylinder). A warm/wet compression would really be needed to know for sure. When looking at "spare engine" options, I also found a ski with the same engine for $3500 that would have done the trick. Then I could repair the bad one in the off season and have a boat and a wave runner when done (yippee). In the end, I didn't buy it since I decided to take my chances on a DIY block repair/patch for a small crack. So far that has been working well and I am now at 305 hours. That reminds me. You may want to look at the block around the #3 cylinder underneath the exhaust manifold for signs of a crack (rusty/yellow stains down the right side of the engine case). Your block will probably be painted unlike mine. It is VERY rare but seems to be a trend related to casting line quality in some of the 2006-7 vintage blocks (like mine ;) They are still AWESOME engines and boats!!! Good luck!
IMG_1754.JPG

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Guys,

I had a 2006 sx230 I was considering buying inspected today. One of the engines came back with bad compression. The four cylinders came in at 152,178,171, and 168. Mechanic who inspected it said the cylinder will probably drop soon and the engine will need to be rebuilt. The boat is a stupid good deal and the owner said he'd consider a price drop because it may need to be rebuilt.

Now, upon doing some research I learned that doing a compression test on a cold engine could be seriously flawed. The engine was not warmed up prior to doing the test. Is it at all possible that is enough to create the compression difference? If it did need to be rebuilt how much would it cost to have done?

Im still considering putting an offer on this boat but trying to figure out what id have to pay to justify the risk.

Thanks for any help.
If that is the boat from the other thread, it has been on the market for a while - if you can get it for 12k or under that would indeed be a stupid good deal!

--

ItsMike1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I totally agree. Those numbers from a cold engine that's been sitting for a while wouldn't scare me either. Did you run the engines or just a comp check?
They were both started, one engine had a delay in throttle response so he pulled the plugs, shined them up and the delay went away. Maybe ran it 3 or 4 minutes total. The compression numbers on this were something like 180,189,190,200 (not exactly this but close). The second engine was the engine in the post.

@swatski same boat
@veedubtek Crap. Totally second guessing myself. The mechanic didnt exactly exude confidence either. I got the honda mechanic working on a ford vibe. Seemed to know what he was doing but definately not an expert on the boat he was working on.
@Seadeals thannks ill certainly check that out if I reconsider the boat

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SBT sells rebuilt MR-1 HOs for $2,400 and supposedly brand new engines for $3,400.

Swapping the engine would be a DIY job for most.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
SBT sells rebuilt MR-1 HOs for $2,400 and supposedly brand new engines for $3,400.

Swapping the engine would be a DIY job for most.
Sbt doesn't sell new mr1s. Their reputation is terrible. They charge 100/ week if your block is bad until you provide a new one. You can't buy a new engine from Yamaha. I have a bad mr1 with oil water mix and 195, 100,165,205 cold compression. I bought a fx140 ski to swap, with 95hr and it's only running on 3 cylinders. Unless you like screwing with engines, think long and hard about this. I wouldn't have bought an mr1 boat if I knew you can't buy Yamaha engines.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jgorm is right, if an engine fails, you need to rebuild locally, and if the block fails, you need to find a good one to start with. New engine replacement is not an option. I had a SeaDoo with twin 717 engines, and this has been the case for years too with that model. New engines are just not available after they go out of production. This can be mitigated by paying someone local in the "know" that can source and rebuild. the challenge is finding this local magician if/when you need to.

However... The 1.8 engine also has its risks (Timing belt issue seems addressed in newer boats now, time will tell), and if you were to need an engine repair I would bet if you were willing to pay you might get your 230 boat running before the 240 was repaired under warranty, so the alternative is less than optimal also when compared in $$/Value.

It's a B.O.A.T (Bring Out Another Thousand)

There are many MR-1 engines still running strong. Anything can fail at any time resulting in loss of time (and possibly expense) It about what it is worth to you and what risk you are willing to bear.

Best of Luck!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After the initial comp test the mechanic should have squirt some oil into the low cylinder and run another comp test. If the compression came up considerably that would indicate a ring job (expensive, complete teardown). If the compression didn't change much that would indicate valves which would be much cheaper. The engine wouldn't need to be pulled and you could remove the head yourself and bring it in for a valve job.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sbt doesn't sell new mr1s. Their reputation is terrible. They charge 100/ week if your block is bad until you provide a new one. You can't buy a new engine from Yamaha. I have a bad mr1 with oil water mix and 195, 100,165,205 cold compression. I bought a fx140 ski to swap, with 95hr and it's only running on 3 cylinders. Unless you like screwing with engines, think long and hard about this. I wouldn't have bought an mr1 boat if I knew you can't buy Yamaha engines.
New may be a stretch, but here is a link http://www.shopsbt.com/jetski/sbt-yamaha-premium-engine-fx-ho-ar230-2004-2008.html

SBT claims, "SBT's engines for Yamaha include all new crankcases, cylinders, head and internal components.They will also include the valve cover and oil pan.

SBT tests all of the 4-stroke motors on our Dyno before leaving the SBT Factory Manufactured in the USA!"

As for SBT's reputation I have been fortunate that I have never needed to buy from them but I believe that many of the two stroke problems came from buying SBT engines then reinstalling the same carbs and oil injection system that had damaged the factory engine without correcting the problem(s) there. I have spoken to several mechanics who regularly use SBT rebuilds and there are members here who are happy with engines they have purchased from SBT.

Here is a no core required option for $3800 if it is helpful to you http://www.ebay.com/itm/PWC-Reman-Motor-Yamaha-04-08-FX-HO-1-Year-Warranty-NO-CORE-REQUIRED-40-411/222608921397?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's not a terrible deal on that engine. If your core is messed up, it may be worthwhile. I think with an intact block, if that was my boat, I would try to to have it rebuilt locally off season.

If I was purchasing, I would price this issue at $6k to fix and if seller agreed on price, run as is, monitoring changes carefully, and fix when it failed. It may run forever in its current condition. It may catch fire and blow up too. We can't predict the future, just prepare for the likely and possible.

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the price is right and It water tests ok I would pull the trigger. Install tow valves. That way if you do lose that motor you can isolate it and still run full speed on the good one to get home. Go for it.

ItsMike1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks everybody!

Most likely im going to pass all together, but for a week or so im going to put it on the back burner. Ive realized that my excitement has totally clouded my judgement and logically its not worth the risk, hassle, and potential headache unless the guy would sell it for stupid cheap like $8k. I appreciate all the input and ill have plenty of future stupid questions.

-Mike

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought my 2008 230 for $16k last year. It needed some love, but it was a great deal at the time. Keep looking, you have until spring. There are several clunkers listed, many overpriced.

Just keep looking, what you want will eventually be listed. I traveled 600 miles to see mine. Time, cost and condition...One has to give unless you are very lucky. I prefer to forgo time in looking.