• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

RAM gearing

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't believe this guy, he is judging you for buying a Ram :D
Naw, they're just not for me.......yet......You guys have convinced me of all kinds of things I thought weren't right. There's still hope :D

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Or am I over thinking it?
Just need a flat plate to bolt the compressor/tank to, then use Ubolts to hang the plate to the frame. No drilling on frame. Easy Peasy.

Should be a cinch for a CAD guy. I've seen your 3D printed stuff, you got this.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
not sure of tongue wt of your boat, but doubt you'll need bags for that.

i put airlift 1000 (without on-board air comp) on my 15' 1500..cheap, simple, easy inside the coil installation, worked great.
looks like install is a bit diff for the '19....or they have frame mounted loadlifter 5000..for triple the price
i put ride-rite frame mounted on my 2500..more $ and a bit more involved install, but work great too.

prob overthinking...but maybe could find some u-bolts to clamp it onto frame rail? lots of misc plates/u-bolt items for rvs
I'm going to get a AR240 if things go well this winter.
I was thinking of airlift 1000 for ease of install. I had them on my pathfinder and they were OK.. but the firestone airbags on my Tacoma were definitely better.
U-bolts is an idea.. The air tank has very small bolts and isn't heavy so I'm not worried about that. But the air compressor has larger bolts

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I like the idea of u-bolts.... but bolting into the frame would be fine.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I like the idea of u-bolts.... but bolting into the frame would be fine.
I crawled underneath just now and it looks like bolting to the frame is a lot more practical. I dont think there's ubolts big enough to go around this frame

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I crawled underneath just now and it looks like bolting to the frame is a lot more practical. I dont think there's ubolts big enough to go around this frame
How thick is it? (Thats what she said) I can't imagine the frame is bigger the the one on my 252. Bolts are fine, drilling through sucks though.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How thick is it? (Thats what she said) I can't imagine the frame is bigger the the one on my 252. Bolts are fine, drilling through sucks though.
Thickness isn't the problem.. Its the width of the frame.
Some people put the air compressor in the RAM bin in the back seat but i dont want to drill there.
The good news is that it doesn't sag with the boat hooked up so I can take my time with this project
I tried a 3-1/2" drop hitch. I need to exchange it for a 2"

IMG_7164.jpg

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I bought my truck off the lot for tax purposes so I had no say in the spec. It has the 392 and I wish it didint. The thing is at 2000 rpm at decent speed on the highway and it only has a 20 something gallon tank. I like the truck but wouldn't get that gearing again. My previous 19 ram had the larger tank and regular gears it got in the 20s on the highway. This thing never gets more than 16, both figures are without towing. Keep in mind most people only tow 10% of the time.
IMG_20201126_132328_01.jpg

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I bought my truck off the lot for tax purposes so I had no say in the spec. It has the 392 and I wish it didint. The thing is at 2000 rpm at decent speed on the highway and it only has a 20 something gallon tank. I like the truck but wouldn't get that gearing again. My previous 19 ram had the larger tank and regular gears it got in the 20s on the highway. This thing never gets more than 16, both figures are without towing. Keep in mind most people only tow 10% of the time.
View attachment 187006
I wonder why you are only getting 16 mpg on the highway? I wouldn't expect such a big highway difference (20 vs 16) with the only difference being the 3.92 rear. I'm getting between 18 - 18.5 on my 2020 RAM.

Jim

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2019 hemi 3.29 big horn towing a 2008 SW230. No problem whatsoever, maybe 14-15 mpg but I don't really care.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 187006
Like the look of this one as well.

The RAM's really are good looking trucks.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK, I wanted to give you RAM guys a fair shake this morning.......Went on CarGurus and searched within 75mi of me. There are (6) that fit my criteria. 4wd, crew cab, sunroof, adaptive cruise, black interior.

CarGurus - 2019 RAM 1500 Limited Crew Cab 4WD - $44,150 at $44k-ish it's really not a bad deal. Looks like it has MOST of the options I would look for in a pickup.

CarGurus - 2019 RAM 1500 Limited Crew Cab 4WD - $43,980 Similar one here. Almost the same price but higher miles.

Really like that the shifter isn't in the console (even if it's a weird dial thing).
110V outlet in the back seat is nice.
Wheels look good.
I like the 5.7L/8Spd combo in the Durango, I suspect I would like it here as well.
The "faux wood" trim pieces are nice (except on the steering wheel)

Dislikes:
Not a big fan of the steering wheel, gauges, or center stack.
The font on the gauges is not great, it's small and looks hard to read.
Holy Cheese and Rice those badges on the tail gate in chrome are giant. WOW they're huge. And the tailgate is "reverse embossed" under them so it's not like you can remove it and have a nice smooth tailgate. Ugh.
The interior in general isn't great for me. The center stacks GIANT screen looks like a dust and fingerprint magnet. I'm not a fan of screens in general and this one looks like it would be terrible in the sun with the roof open having that glossy finish.
It's a RAM and I've not liked them for a long time. Some mental gymnastics will be required to overcome that (they're starting from behind)

@adrianp89 @I_squared_r @Evil Sports I have some questions......
How do I know if it has front ventilated seats? It says heated, but where are the controls in the pictures that tell me? I can see them on the back seats in the second one. Assume that means the front seats have them too?
What are the weird speaker looking things in the headliner in the backseat? Speakers?
Are the truck "up and down arrows" on the center stack for air suspension height adjustment? Is that just rear air or is it on all 4 corners?
The first has an Auto start/stop defeat switch, second doesn't. Whats up with that? First one is an eTorque, second isn't. That it?
How do I know which has what gear set in it? Both show the 3.21's as standard, I assume since it doesn't say anything elsewhere they're still there?
First one shows a 33gal tank, second doesn't. Regular small tank? Like 20gal-ish?

I should really go drive one and see how I feel about it in person. Maybe it's really all in my head?!?!

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
OK, I wanted to give you RAM guys a fair shake this morning.......Went on CarGurus and searched within 75mi of me. There are (6) that fit my criteria. 4wd, crew cab, sunroof, adaptive cruise, black interior.

CarGurus - 2019 RAM 1500 Limited Crew Cab 4WD - $44,150 at $44k-ish it's really not a bad deal. Looks like it has MOST of the options I would look for in a pickup.

CarGurus - 2019 RAM 1500 Limited Crew Cab 4WD - $43,980 Similar one here. Almost the same price but higher miles.

Really like that the shifter isn't in the console (even if it's a weird dial thing).
Wheels look good.
I like the 5.7L/8Spd combo in the Durango, I suspect I would like it here as well.

Dislikes:
Holy Cheese and Rice those badges on the tail gate in chrome are giant. WOW they're huge. And the tailgate is "reverse embossed" under them so it's not like you can remove it and have a nice smooth tailgate. Ugh.
The interior in general isn't great for me. The center stacks GIANT screen looks like a dust and fingerprint magnet. I'm not a fan of screens in general and this one looks like it would be terrible in the sun with the roof open having that glossy finish.
It's a RAM and I've not liked them for a long time. Some mental gymnastics will be required to overcome that (they're starting from behind)

How do I know if it has front ventilated seats? It says heated, but where are the controls in the pictures that tell me? I can see them on the back seats in the second one. Assume that means the front seats have them too?
What are the weird speaker looking things in the headliner in the backseat? Speakers?
Are the truck "up and down arrows" on the center stack for air suspension height adjustment? Is that just rear air or is it on all 4 corners?
The first has an Auto start/stop defeat switch, second doesn't. Whats up with that? First one is an eTorque, second isn't. That it?
How do I know which has what gear set in it? Both show the 3.21's as standard, I assume since it doesn't say anything elsewhere they're still there?
First one shows a 33gal tank, second doesn't. Regular small tank? Like 20gal-ish?

I should really go drive one and see how I feel about it in person. Maybe it's really all in my head?!?!
You can use this link to see the towing capacity. 8200lbs is 3.29 and I think 10,000lbs is 3.92

Regular tank I think is 26 gallons.
Limited and laramie come standard with the ventilated seats. I didn't think I needed it, but after a few days - I love it. Its accessible via uconnect 12 interface. I can't figure out if I can have the ventilated seat come on by default when I start the truck.
Yes theres speakers in the headliner
I don't know what the up and down arrows are. I think the limited comes standard with air suspension so maybe its for that
There is also a 110v outlet in the center console. USB and type-c outlets everywhere it's crazy!
I have no complaints about the center stack screen
I don't have a complaint about the font anywhere. I quickly learned the interface. It took me a little time to find the audio steering wheel controls (it's on the backside of the steering wheel)

Go drive 1. I didn't road test another full size truck, but comparing to my Tacoma. It's amazing.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If it has rear ventilated seats, then it has front (which I believe is standard on the Limited). Controls from front are on the touchscreen.

Speakers and ANC (active noise cancelling).

Air suspension is all four corners (my second favorite feature of the truck)

Auto/Stop start - that means it has e-torque. I hate the auto/stop. In FL I need AC blasting all the time. They sell kits to turn this off, but for now I just press button everytime I get in.

Gears - pull window sticker.

Gas Tank - same, but I believe standard is 23 or 26.

The screen can get fingerprints but not enough that I notice. I have a tempered screen protector on mine so maybe that helps. Zero issues with glare, though I do have 15% window tint around.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
A few other thoughts or features you may have missed.

The headlights are adaptive - they turn with the steering wheel. Super under-rated features.
Rear-seats can recline (as a side note, when folded the floor is 100% flat.. very nice upgrade from previous gen)
Both these trucks have the 22" rims and sunroof, which are nice options and not standard.
Both have power running boards and 360 degree birds-eye camera.
Tailgate can be dropped from key fob or drivers seat.
The second has color matched bumpers - this looks WAY better IMO.
There is a lot of subtle LED lighting on the truck interior that makes it feel luxurious at night time.
The steering wheel audio controls are the best in the market. This is across Jeep/Ram/Dodge. I installed car stereos for a long time and they are by-far the easiest and most intuitive.
Blacking out the badging would look very nice, they also sell blacked out badges you can just replace current ones with.

If you don't like the gauge cluster or some other small detail items, check out a Laramie Longhorn. I had to chance to order any truck I wanted and the Limited just didn't cut it for me. I ended up with a Laramie Longhorn (now the Limited Longhorn) and loaded it has all the same features as a Limited. I loved the dark brown interior with black accents and bronze trim. However if you don't like brown interior it's not for you. I can upload some pics if you want to see.

I would lean towards the second just because of color and color matched bumpers. No 33 gallon tank on that one is a bummer though, both prices seem very good in this market. Though it could be your area. I would guess those trucks would pull 50-55k around here.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@I_squared_r @adrianp89 a few notes.

I had adaptive headlights on my '06 Audi A4. I LOVED the lighting in that car. Didn't realize it was available on any new vehicle currently.
I really like the air suspension on my Q7. Nice to be able to cruise around with the lowered stance, then raise up to get over or through the things as necessary.
I pulled the window stickers on each (So nice RAM has that published online) I couldn't see where either had the higher gearing. I'll keep looking at other ones and see what I can decode. Doesn't show tow rating on there either.

The RAM honestly sounds like it's really similar to my current Q7. interior lighting/accents. 360deg camera. power gate. all kinds of stuff like that sounds really similar. If I can find a spare minute or three I'll swing by and test drive one. Not 100% sure i'm ready to buy anytime soon, but, honestly, these are ~$20k less than everything else I've been shopping in this age/mileage range. Might work out.

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
looked like both had the standard 3.21 rear end...you'll see a line item for '3.92 rear axle ratio' on sticker
do you know the specs (tongue wt) of your camper? think you said you may never need to pull it, but seems like it was big enough to be a chore with any 1500. if you do foresee towing it, 3.92 would make that experience better.

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
and if you tow the camper, nice to have the factory brake controller...grey one had it

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
looked like both had the standard 3.21 rear end...you'll see a line item for '3.92 rear axle ratio' on sticker
do you know the specs (tongue wt) of your camper? think you said you may never need to pull it, but seems like it was big enough to be a chore with any 1500. if you do foresee towing it, 3.92 would make that experience better.
this - it is also a $95 option, pretty easy to spot on a window sticker.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Wheels look good.

Dislikes:

I would go with less miles. Hemi tick seems to start around 75k. Never personally heard of a motor grenading due to it, but something to look out for. Seems like every brand has a weakness as it gest older. Ford has the cam phasers, and Chevy/GMC has the cylinder deactivation BS, Ram the Hemi valve tick.