• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rattling sound with 2002 Challenger 2000, Mercruiser 240 M.2 EFI

keith1991

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey everyone. I am a new boater. Last summer I purchased a 2002 Seadoo Challenger 2000, Mercruiser M.2 240 EFI. Boat ran well all summer after probably a dozen or so trips. Last trip or 2 out I noticed a sound at idle that wasn't there before. The boat still performed great and I didnt notice it past idle RPMS but it definitely wasnt there before. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? I am going to attach a video of the noise and some photos.

Much appreciated, figuring out where to go / look from here is my first step. I wont be taking the boat out until its fixed to be safe.

Thanks, Keith

Uploaded a clip to streamable thats available for 2 days as it doesnt seem that I can upload videos on here. If it doesnt work ill put it on youtube tonight.

Attachments

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
sounds like something stuck in the impeller.

keith1991

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nothing at all stuck in the impeller. Took some time today and took it all apart to check. Wear ring looks near perfect, no gouges or marks from impeller. Stator fluid was perfect looking but I did notice what id call a "hot spot" on the inner sleeve that the shaft from the impeller sits in. I drained the gear box fluid and it was not great.. both the gaskets on the screws for the fill / overflow ports were completely missing. There was definitely some water that got in as there were light colored swirls in the oil. Also, the initial bit of oil that came out was BAD, like dark grey and very thick. Once that blob fell out, the rest of the oil drained out. At first I thought it had little to no oil in it and I near sh** myself. I am going to change the gear box and stator oil once my new plugs/gaskets get here wednesday and put it all back together and take it out for a spin and see how it sounds.

Me being new to boats (and even 2 stroke motors) doesnt help lol. Wish id have had some direction when I first bought the boat but im lucky nothing worse has happened - yet.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey everyone. I am a new boater...

Thanks, Keith

Uploaded a clip to streamable thats available for 2 days as it doesnt seem that I can upload videos on here. If it doesnt work ill put it on youtube tonight.

Upload your video to YouTube. Then post a link here. Other video does not work.

henryb

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Did you ever figure out what that sound was?

keith1991

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did you ever figure out what that sound was?
Yes, it needed the stator oil and gear case oil changed badly. Previous owner likely didn't change it for a couple years. Noise was gone (on the water) after this was done thankfully