• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Raymarine Axiom 7 install

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Woot! All done. I'm super cautious and had to run and get some bolts. So it literally took me close to 8 hours start to finish.View attachment 133601
Hey Suke, now that you've had it in for a while, have you had a chance to test it out?
If so, how's the glare and brightness?
If you wear polarized sunglasses, does the screen darken like a phone screen or is it more like the Connext where the polarization isn't an issue?

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey Suke, now that you've had it in for a while, have you had a chance to test it out?
If so, how's the glare and brightness?
If you wear polarized sunglasses, does the screen darken like a phone screen or is it more like the Connext where the polarization isn't an issue?
Yup! So far love it. It's MUCH faster than the connext and has no issue keeping up with me or hopping around while in motion. I only own polarized sunglasses and no issues with this screen at all, just like connext. Brightness hasn't been an issue I've noticed. Was able to see it just fine on the water, granted it was off and on sun/clouds the last time I took it out.

Decently sunny here. Don't have the bimini open yet and looks fine.
20200927_112056.jpg

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yup! So, far love it.
Ok I'm sold, and so is the wife...just ordered one today and will install it this fall or early spring depending on weather.
Thanks again for the feedback.
:thumbsup:

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ok I'm sold, and so is the wife...just ordered one today and will install it this fall or early spring depending on weather.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Awesome! Can't wait to see the pics. Did you end up getting a transducer? Quasi kicking myself for not doing so, eventhough I'm still not thrilled with the idea of drilling holes in my transom, and the mounting of the transducers appear to be problematic.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Awesome! Can't wait to see the pics.
Will post pics of the install for sure.
Did you end up getting a transducer? Quasi kicking myself for not doing so, eventhough I'm still not thrilled with the idea of drilling holes in my transom, and the mounting of the transducers appear to be problematic.
No transducer...not big into fishing, just relaxing. Just want to have a good chartplotter as navigating the 1000 islands is hazardous if you go out of the main channels without charts, lots of rocks, wrecks, and such. There's literally thousands of hazards. As for mounting a transducer, I think Raymarine makes a through-hull similar to the depth/temp sensor that can be installed that matches the deadrise angle. It means cutting a 2" hole in the hull, but it's also a very solid install if that's an option for you.

We decided to do the mid-cabin speaker install too, and cutting 5" holes in the cockpit for the speakers sounds wrong with a new boat, but I know it's not a big deal once done.
:D

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Will post pics of the install for sure.

No transducer...not big into fishing, just relaxing. Just want to have a good chartplotter as navigating the 1000 islands is hazardous if you go out of the main channels without charts, lots of rocks, wrecks, and such. There's literally thousands of hazards. As for mounting a transducer, I think Raymarine makes a through-hull similar to the depth/temp sensor that can be installed that matches the deadrise angle. It means cutting a 2" hole in the hull, but it's also a very solid install if that's an option for you.

We decided to do the mid-cabin speaker install too, and cutting 5" holes in the cockpit for the speakers sounds wrong with a new boat, but I know it's not a big deal once done.
:D
I'm not big into fishing either, but the blank depth on the screen bothers me more than I thought it would. Maybe I can get it to disappear if I mess with the settings.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm not big into fishing either, but the blank depth on the screen bothers me more than I thought it would. Maybe I can get it to disappear if I mess with the settings.
@suke Picked up the Axiom 7 today and after playing around with it on the counter and configuring the basics (love it by the way), I found that it has the option to remove the depth reading, it's an "overlay" setting:

From the Chart tap the Menu button upper right > Page Settings > Overlays > tap on it and it'll open a screen to let you add and remove overlays. You can have heading, speed, depth, etc. Just press and hold the depth overlay and tap remove. Tap done to save.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@suke Picked up the Axiom 7 today and after playing around with it on the counter and configuring the basics (love it by the way), I found that it has the option to remove the depth reading, it's an "overlay" setting:

From the Chart tap the Menu button upper right > Page Settings > Overlays > tap on it and it'll open a screen to let you add and remove overlays. You can have heading, speed, depth, etc. Just press and hold the depth overlay and tap remove. Tap done to save.
NICE! Figured it would be configurable. Almost too many features with this thing. HAH!

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Getting there. I measured probably 30 times. Drew, adjusted, drew, adjusted....rinse repeat. Took the backing plate and taped it up to see. Theres some mounting bolts you have to avoid too, so trying my best to avoid those while also centering it the best I could. I haven't even gotten to the wiring. LOL! Which is somewhat confusing. Power, ground makes sense. The earth one I'm like uhhhhhhh where does this go?View attachment 133572View attachment 133573View attachment 133574View attachment 133575View attachment 133576
@suke , Think I'm going to tackle this same project that you completed ! Hope I can make it look 1/2 as good as yours ? You did a great job. Where did you end up connecting that third gray wire on the power cable ? Were you able to find connections for Red , Black , and Gray in the area forward of the helm or did you have to run all three back to the battery area ? I know several members say that on the 240/242 with 12" Connex there is an unused accessory hookup in the helm storage but not sure about the 212X ?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Where did you end up connecting that third gray wire on the power cable ?
The gray is a secondary ground, but many fiberglass boats don't have a ground point - just connect it to the black wire. I haven't installed mine yet, but after looking at the back of the helm, there's several unused connectors with +/- power - I plan to use one of them to power the Axiom. It doesn't take much juice to run and hopefully I can find one that is switched so it'll turn off when the ignition or battery switch is off. Don't forget to add an inline fuse to protect the boat.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for your reply @212s . I do have a +/- unused harness labeled "accessory" behind the helm. Given that , do I really need an in-line fuse holder between the Axiom & "accessory" connection since the boats main fuse block already has an "accessory" fuse ? No doubt one would be required if running new wires from device back to the house battery.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Thanks for your reply @212s . I do have a +/- unused harness labeled "accessory" behind the helm. Given that , do I really need an in-line fuse holder between the Axiom & "accessory" connection since the boats main fuse block already has an "accessory" fuse ? No doubt one would be required if running new wires from device back to the house battery.
Never hurts to over-fuse, especially in a marine environment. Fuse holder = $10, Axiom - $700.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Never hurts to over-fuse, especially in a marine environment. Fuse holder = $10, Axiom - $700.
yup, this
The gray is a secondary ground, but many fiberglass boats don't have a ground point - just connect it to the black wire. I haven't installed mine yet, but after looking at the back of the helm, there's several unused connectors with +/- power - I plan to use one of them to power the Axiom. It doesn't take much juice to run and hopefully I can find one that is switched so it'll turn off when the ignition or battery switch is off. Don't forget to add an inline fuse to protect the boat.
I ran mine all the way to the battery area for all the cables. I ran my power to the battery disconnect switch, there's a ground junction block stock with plenty of open areas and I ran the gray one there, black one I ran to the ground on the battery. If I recall correctly. Been a few months, may need to check my thread again.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just to clarify, an inline fuse on a device doesn't protect the device, it protects the wiring and environment around it - in this case your boat. Devices draw current from the wiring of the electrical system, not the other way around, so you need to protect your boat if the Axiom shorts and draws too much current.

The accessory fuse inside the boat is there to protect the boat too, but it's a total amperage fuse for the draw of all devices on the circuit, but if your Axiom shorts, it will draw too much for the wiring to handle and possibly overheat and start a fire long before that accessory fuse pops. You always need to fuse accessories as close to the accessory as possible to protect the boat.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Just to clarify, an inline fuse on a device doesn't protect the device, it protects the wiring and environment around it - in this case your boat. Devices draw current from the wiring of the electrical system, not the other way around, so you need to protect your boat if the Axiom shorts and draws too much current.

The accessory fuse inside the boat is there to protect the boat too, but it's a total amperage fuse for the draw of all devices on the circuit, but if your Axiom shorts, it will draw too much for the wiring to handle and possibly overheat and start a fire long before that accessory fuse pops. You always need to fuse accessories as close to the accessory as possible to protect the boat.
In theory, sure. Real world it isn’t that simple. Ground out a power line and it 100% protects the Axiom.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
In theory, sure. Real world it isn’t that simple. Ground out a power line and it 100% protects the Axiom.
Actually if you ground a power line, it cuts the power to the Axiom and shunts it to ground - that's when the boat's accessory fuse pops to protect the boat's wiring. Nothing should happen to the Axiom. Electricity always takes the path of least resistance, and the ground short is the easiest path for the current to flow.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ya'll are putting way more thought into it than I did. Instructions said to have one, sooooo I put one in. LOL!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Actually if you ground a power line, it cuts the power to the Axiom and shunts it to ground - that's when the boat's accessory fuse pops to protect the boat's wiring. Nothing should happen to the Axiom. Electricity always takes the path of least resistance, and the ground short is the easiest path for the current to flow.
I’ve seen people fry electronics on more than one occasion this way. Your welcome to make a video to try to prove me wrong though lol.

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did this install on my 2019 AR240. It's a great unit. I did run a bus bar. I used it for my fresh water systems, underwater lights, and trim tabs too.
View attachment 133147
I know it's been a while since you posted this, but do you remember how much room you had left over behind the dash after installing the Axiom 7? Do you think there's room for the 9? The 9 is just about an inch taller and a little bit over 1.5" wider. Looking at the front, it looks doable. I have a '17 AR240. I've ordered the Instrument cover from the 2019--the top padded thing--and I'm either going to get the 2019 instrument panel, or cut a piece of starboard. Thanks!

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know it's been a while since you posted this, but do you remember how much room you had left over behind the dash after installing the Axiom 7? Do you think there's room for the 9? The 9 is just about an inch taller and a little bit over 1.5" wider. Looking at the front, it looks doable. I have a '17 AR240. I've ordered the Instrument cover from the 2019--the top padded thing--and I'm either going to get the 2019 instrument panel, or cut a piece of starboard. Thanks!
You won't run into any issues with depth in the back. The issue you will run into is the acrylic is overtop another fiberglass piece, so you'll have to router that part out too. Also there's mounting bolts/studs in the way. The 9" is going to be a stretch. Totally impossible? Probably not.