• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Recall on catalytic converter

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Well this sucks. My warranty is done (5yrs past in May) and I have silver. Guess downfall of doing my own service. My boat hasn’t been into shop for engine work since 25 hour service.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
You may want to check that. I think (not 100% sure) it’s covered under a recall or service bulletin.

Mr.Happy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have whole time water in the bilge (even if it stands) and can not find the leak, when i read this iàm scared. Can this comes from the Cat´s?
Have someone a part number from the black units?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have whole time water in the bilge (even if it stands) and can not find the leak, when i read this iàm scared. Can this comes from the Cat´s?
My cats were leaking and ended up being replaced. The dealer replaced them as it was under warranty.
I would check and tighten all the bolts as many of mine were loose and/or missing.
20190626_181218405_iOS.jpg

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yes, it could be coming from your CC. Sorry, I do not have the black part #, but reach out to your Chaparral dealer and they should be able to help you out. We figured out ours went bad by finding very warm water in the bilge (we checked the water immediately after running the boat). Our boat sits on a lift, so only got water in while it was running. As others mentioned, they replaced ours for no cost and I was the 2nd owner of the boat. As others mentioned, they seem to only replace the gray CC's if questioned, but it was not made widely known or an official recall.

Old Tailhooker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
To add to this feed, I have confirmed through BRP Marine the Service Bulletin Recall/Warranty is confirmed valid beyond the 36 month warranty period. From other threads I posted on my latest effort to address my cat and o2 sensor issues:

I spoke and corresponded with BRP Marine Division regarding Service Bulletin No. 2018-01(W) Rotax JPS Oxygen Sensor Failure Due to Water Intrusion (MPS). Updated phone number: (844) 345-4277 and email address: e2case@brp.com.

Although I have a 2016 Scarab with 2014 model year BRP motors, the service bulletin for catalysts and O2 sensors issues are confirmed recall/warranty work. They never provided any "time extension" on the warranty period but mentioned it had something to do with the emissions aspect. Email from BRP: "I did verify with the technical team the open recalls on your engines will be covered by BRP. Please take the boat to one of the dealers I provided. If your dealer has any questions, they can contact the BRP technical support team to guide them through the process."

Unfortunately, I need to haul my boat 2.5 hours north to Fort Worth for the work (no shop in Austin will work on a Scarab despite the common BRP motor). Although only 87 motor hours, I am considering replacing the superchargers (SC) with the updated maintenance-free models and changing the carbon seals if indeed the catalyst assemblies are going to be pulled (save on breakdown costs). With my motors being "AA" models, the SCs call for a 200hr rebuild. AK and later models (2017 timeframe) have the new SCs installed (which are reported able to backfit AA-AG models). Will update the forum as I work through the process.

Old Tailhooker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
To add to this feed, I have confirmed through BRP Marine the Service Bulletin Recall/Warranty is confirmed valid beyond the 36 month warranty period. From other threads I posted on my latest effort to address my cat and o2 sensor issues:

I spoke and corresponded with BRP Marine Division regarding Service Bulletin No. 2018-01(W) Rotax JPS Oxygen Sensor Failure Due to Water Intrusion (MPS). Updated phone number: (844) 345-4277 and email address: e2case@brp.com.

Although I have a 2016 Scarab with 2014 model year BRP motors, the service bulletin for catalysts and O2 sensors issues are confirmed recall/warranty work. They never provided any "time extension" on the warranty period but mentioned it had something to do with the emissions aspect. Email from BRP: "I did verify with the technical team the open recalls on your engines will be covered by BRP. Please take the boat to one of the dealers I provided. If your dealer has any questions, they can contact the BRP technical support team to guide them through the process."

Unfortunately, I need to haul my boat 2.5 hours north to Fort Worth for the work (no shop in Austin will work on a Scarab despite the common BRP motor). Although only 87 motor hours, I am considering replacing the superchargers (SC) with the updated maintenance-free models and changing the carbon seals if indeed the catalyst assemblies are going to be pulled (save on breakdown costs). With my motors being "AA" models, the SCs call for a 200hr rebuild. AK and later models (2017 timeframe) have the new SCs installed (which are reported able to backfit AA-AG models). Will update the forum as I work through the process.
As follow-up, I just got my boat back from the dealer that did the warranty/recall work on my motors for the O2 sensor/catalyst issues. ZERO cost to me for the work, despite the warranty being expired (ie. recall work). They did not replace the catalyst nor replace the gaskets (only had to inspect gaskets). The dealer re-torqued the three-piece assembly per the recall details. I had one failed O2 sensor (I was aware when I took it in); however, the recall does not cover a replacement. I had a spare on hand and replaced myself as the dealer wanted $155. I did not replace the superchargers (SC) as the new models were on indefinite backorder. I should have two more boating seasons before I hit 200 hours so not a biggie. Attached are the three pages from the official recall information that the service department gave me.

Attachments

Old Tailhooker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length

As follow-up, I just got my boat back from the dealer that did the warranty/recall work on my motors for the O2 sensor/catalyst issues. ZERO cost to me for the work, despite the warranty being expired (ie. recall work). They did not replace the catalyst nor replace the gaskets (only had to inspect gaskets). The dealer re-torqued the three-piece assembly per the recall details. I had one failed O2 sensor (I was aware when I took it in); however, the recall does not cover a replacement. I had a spare on hand and replaced myself as the dealer wanted $155. I did not replace the superchargers (SC) as the new models were on indefinite backorder. I should have two more boating seasons before I hit 200 hours so not a biggie. Attached are the three pages from the official recall information that the service department gave me.

Attachments

joegreen1999

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I ran the boat yesterday for a short run. Stopping multiple time to check the temp of the water (in the bilge), it was not even warm. So that's out. Frustrating as I cannot find the leak.
My code error is P0340.
According to the shop manual,

P0340 ECM Camshaft 1 signal error.
Cause: Damaged sensor, damabed circuit wires, damaged connector, damaged ECM pins or damaged tooth wheel or Connector disconnected