• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Recall on catalytic converter

Chapvrx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Looking for an official recall, on a catalytic converter Gray color pre 2018 year model boats, can anyone point in to the right direction where to find this information,if there is any. I’ve heard that dealers change them for black ones under recall .Thanks

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I’ve got a 2015 and have not heard of this. See what others know

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I have a 2016 and have not heard anything. One would think we would get an email or mailer for a recall.

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We have a 2015 and had ours replaced. We bought it used in Jan 2017 and had it replaced after it failed on our 3rd outing (April 2017). I think the boat had less than 40hrs. on it. The dealer covered everything. At the time they told us we got the last one in stock and others were back ordered. I don’t think it was a publicized recall, but if it failed, they replaced it. Hope this helps.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We have a 2015 and had ours replaced. We bought it used in Jan 2017 and had it replaced after it failed on our 3rd outing (April 2017). I think the boat had less than 40hrs. on it. The dealer covered everything. At the time they told us we got the last one in stock and others were back ordered. I don’t think it was a publicized recall, but if it failed, they replaced it. Hope this helps.
How do you know if it's bad? What symptoms did you notice?

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We got a check engine signal. Don’t recall the error code # (will see if I can find it), but had someone look at and that was their best guess. There was some water in the engine compartment that was very warm, which helped them figure it out. The boat actually ran fine, it was the error code that tipped us off.

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We got a check engine signal. Don’t recall the error code # (will see if I can find it), but had someone look at and that was their best guess. There was some water in the engine compartment that was very warm, which helped them figure it out. The boat actually ran fine, it was the error code that tipped us off.
I think the error code was P0420. Good luck!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Oh, ok. I wonder if that's whats wrong with mine? I always have water in the engine compartment and my engine light is on. It comes and goes but is mostly on. I believe my code error is P0310 (I think). I'll have to check, again.

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I'm not 100% sure on the error code, but as mentioned the water was very warm inside the engine compartment and that led them to catalytic converter and found a leak. I had my local Chap dealer troubleshoot, they were not sure on what the issue was, but did suspect the catalytic converter. I had to take it to the Chap dealer I bought it from (2hrs. away), they confirmed the issue and fixed it...This was my first experience with Chaparral and it did not go over to well. I bought it used and was told I could take it to any Chap dealer for warranty work, but my local Chap dealer would not work on it. At least it was foxed for free:thumbsup:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Do you know where the CC is located? Did you see the leak?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Sorry, I did not see it.
I ran the boat yesterday for a short run. Stopping multiple time to check the temp of the water (in the bilge), it was not even warm. So that's out. Frustrating as I cannot find the leak.
My code error is P0340.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
If you have the grey ones, those are the old style. I just had mine changed out to the new ones under recall/warranty. I wasn’t aware of the replacement necessity, but my mechanic took one look under the hood and mentioned that BRP is replacing all old CC’s with the new style. I’m not aware of an “official” recall, but your dealer “should” be aware. If not, call BRP.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
If you have the grey ones, those are the old style. I just had mine changed out to the new ones under recall/warranty. I wasn’t aware of the replacement necessity, but my mechanic took one look under the hood and mentioned that BRP is replacing all old CC’s with the new style. I’m not aware of an “official” recall, but your dealer “should” be aware. If not, call BRP.
Like I said, the water was not warm, so I'm thinking it's not the CC. I don't even know where it is nor what it looks like. Can you provide a picture?

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Black ones are good. Those are the new style, so you’re good there. Also, find us on Facebook - Chaparral Vortex Boat Owners Group.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Black ones are good. Those are the new style, so you’re good there. Also, find us on Facebook - Chaparral Vortex Boat Owners Group.
Already up there. I post too! Thanks for not making me look dumb. When you don't know, you just don't know.

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Don’t feel bad, we had our CC replaced and I had no idea where it was located as well. Did not even think to ask where it was located. Thanks for sharing the picture.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The owners manual sure won’t help. That thing is SORRY!!