• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Reclassification

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Move down here. Buy house>buy boat>get six pack license>run small charter business>pick me up at my dock after I get done slacking all day to drink beer and smoke cigars>live happily ever after.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Move down here. Buy house>buy boat>get six pack license>run small charter business>pick me up at my dock after I get done slacking all day to drink beer and smoke cigars>live happily ever after.
Sounds like a marriage proposal.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You got room for 1 more?????

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would give you the opposite advice of most of what's here already. I would never buy the shop with the intention of working it myself. I would, however, buy the shop, train a team to work it and run it for me with minimal input on my part and then relax and collect a check from the business.
I get it, I was a professional wrench for 25 years myself, all in dealerships. Volvo, Chrysler, GM, Kia Toyota...I even did a stint in a RV dealership. I've been ASE certified a master for 25 years now (just got the medal in the mail last year) in addition to a Master for Volvo, GM and Chrysler. However, I made the decision 5 years ago to stop actively turning wrenches for money. I bought my own business, I make 3x what I ever did at my best years wrenching (and I did hit 6 figures turning wrenches for Volvo) and my time is mostly my own. I work as many or as few hours as I like, my wife doesn't work anymore and I'm making investments that increase my income stream and diversity. That's how you grow without having to kill yourself working ridiculous hours every week. You gotta be smart and willing to take some risks. With risk comes reward. That's my opinion anyway

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’d move to Florida in a heartbeat and not look back. Onward and upward.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ahem.. or hire someone you know to Captain the boat FOR you...

:winkingthumbsup"

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My input was gonna be go purchase a house in cash and enjoy living life not working life.

I started my own company jan 2016 at age 28. Paid off the 15k borrowed from father in law and broke even on all expenses/start up costs.

Year 2 started paying myself 5 months in and made 20k profit for company. This year we are on pace to make more money with a full years worth of salary going to me.

Working for myself is something I will continue to do unless someone gives me a stupid offer I cant refuse.

I make my own schedule, spend money on what is needed and offer a service that is affordable and better quality then most other companies in my industry because it's me and my customers.

I continue to cut back my service area as my company grows (I do pest control).

Within 5 years the only debt we will have is my house, and I'm looking to have that paid off in 15 (age 45).

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Without knowing your age, how long you want to work for, how long you need to work for (supporting kids/other adults),
If you told me for 5 years you'd have to give it everything to cash out I'd say it was worth it. Maybe 10 would be acceptable,

I've owned my own business for 18 years now, it's 4 employees, customer service/data entry intensive, my most difficult parts have been,
1. finding/keeping good employees
2.accountants/computers,
3. doing outside sales

Employees I thought would be easy, I knew good people but that has turned into a hard nut to crack for a small company to absorb the trial/error or bad employee
accountants are like car mechanics, just because you know how to turn a wrench doesn't mean you have the knowledge to run a shop, many poor ones out there who get a CPA and hang a shingle

my advice would be move, buy your house and cut back on your work and enjoy life, I have a friend who is a diesel mechanic, just retired but his body is crap and now that he has 15 acres on the side of a mountain his body won't let him enjoy it like he was planning,

get a job doing what your good at, establish yourself and where you want to live and then maybe dip your tow into the "boutique" market of building a shop doing what you want/when you want and then expand from there.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, I bought it. I'll have to retire another time. Tons of mixed emotions right now and a super early flight back tomorrow, but I think I'm stoked. Looks like I got 2 months to throw away everything I own, get down here, and learn to do this on my own.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations, that means an even bigger boat in the end!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I bought it. I'll have to retire another time. Tons of mixed emotions right now and a super early flight back tomorrow, but I think I'm stoked. Looks like I got 2 months to throw away everything I own, get down here, and learn to do this on my own.
Congrats my friend I’m really excited for you guys and this new chapter in your life.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score