• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Recommendations for Florida Keys vacation?

Mrhdvrod

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So we are considering driving down and renting a place in the keys for 2-4 weeks. Even though we live in Florida we have actually never been to the keys. So any suggestions on the better places to go would be great.

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Anywhere in the marathon area, lots of nice homes rentals with docks, some with boat lifts. Close to reefs for snorkeling, good places for fishing, 7 mile bridge.
You can also drive south to Key west or north to key Largo, about an hour each way.

Mrhdvrod

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you, marathon definitely has the most rentals that I’ve found

Rowdie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Keys can pound sand for the next few years after the shit they pulled during mini lobster season.

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Due to COVID-19 #s going up, they closed all public boat ramps until August 10th to avoid from all the people from Miami to go lobstering. But after August 10, it sho6be back to normal unless any other restrictions are put in place.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is a place in upper keys (Key Largo) called seafarer. Its a quaint bungalow style place where they allow boats and have dock.
I like to stay in upper keys and ride IC down to marathon/7mile bridge.

I stayed at a VRBO in Marathon with ocean side access. Place even had lift.

Markwest

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Just returned form Key Largo (first key) last weekend. Took the boat there, stayed at a resort (Mariott Points!). Make sure to shop around for storage for boat and trailer and have a solid plan. Our resort (bay side) allowed mooring but was expensive ($750) for 5 days and did not include trailer parking or ramp access. We found a location on Atlantic side that was similar price and included trailer storage and ramp usage.

Fuel at marinas was twice as much as at the pump $4.50/$2.10. So figure out a fuel plan.

Lots of shoal areas that would be easy to run aground on. Have a GPS mapping feaure to show you where these areas are to avoid.

Key Largo has diving and snorking areas that are 5 miles out, consider a VHF radio if you intend to go there. Also use Navionics or similar app to find out how to approach them to avoid shallows. We did moor to the mooring balls at North North Dry Rocks and Molassass Reef and enjoyed diving and snorking. Waves were more than we wanted - 2 to 4th. I definately saw much smoother days on Youtube.

That being said we spent most our time on the bay side in calmer water. If you plan to do the same research your location to ensure you can get from one side (bay) to the other (ocean) without a 40min ride. There are only a few channels that go all the way across.

If you are looking for food this place was good (skippers dockside -www.skippersdockside.com)

This was the first trip with my boat and I learned alot, good overall experiene though - Have Fun!

Mrhdvrod

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I rented a house VRBO in Marathon with a dock behind and plenty of storage for the truck and trailer at the house. I start the vacation on August 22nd and we will be there for 2 weeks, very much looking forward to it as it will be our first time in the keys. Ill definitely download navionics app since the connext screen seems to be sluggish on refresh and depth isn’t totally apparent. Anyone know if the Vaca cuts is high enough to go through with the Bimini on a 2020 242se?

Rowdie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What happened?
they effectively shut down ramps to afrom outside Monroe county.

they told you private ramps were open but that was bs unless you got down to lower keys. did it just a few days before mini season.

I had house rented. Other friends were at hotel with ramp and rv park with ramp. Both hotel and rv park said, you can come stay with us but you can’t use the ramp.

Through a client I found a captain with a private ramp he said we could use but by then the rest of the families were over it and frankly so was I.

There’s plenty of places that appreciate your business. Makes no sense going where you’re not welcome.
Cape Coral got our business instead.