• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Recommendations for impeller housing replacement - Salt water use

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven’t had the issue of the housing swelling and getting in contact with the impeller yet but having my boat slipped in saltwater during the entire season I understand that it is going to happen sooner than later. I would rather do the swap as a preventive maintenance item rather that having to pull the boat from the water in the middle of the season to change the housings.
What is the latest regarding this? What is the best replacement option for salt water use?
Riva 100% SS or Solas 100% SS or the cheapest SBT housings with plastic wear liners?
My boat is wet slipped in salt water.

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi @Damsroy. I've been operating the same jetboat (SX230) for the last 10 years in salt water. I did have to replace my liners after approximately 7 years due to swelling. I used the OEM liners as I wasn't aware of the Riva solid stainless steel liners. That would now be my top choice for replacement. I'm not a big fan of the plastic liner in the salt water environment. Sand, shells and small stones will require more frequent, but easier and cheap swapouts than stainless steel. I would wait until the swelling process starts. It's a fairly slow process that gives you plenty of warning if you're watching & listening for it.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just add a zinc anode to the pump to slow the dissimilar metal corrosion and don't mess with the housing until you need it ,as for the stainless housings V-S the aluminum with the plastic liners.
I choose the plastic liners , here is why I don't like adding the stainless section to the pump.
Dissimilar metals cause the corrosion on the original pump so adding a section that is all stainless steel to the existing aluminum pump will still cause dissimilar metal corrosion between the 2 parts but now it will be the pump itself rather that the liner section that corrodes.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you encounter rock and debris frequently I suggest staying away from the plastic liners. I would replace them every 3 months on my old boat, something always got caught and would damage them terribly. If the swelling is not immense, and mostly rust, you can clean it up with sand paper or a steel brush pad. (fine brillo pad?)

Good luck!

EDIT (If the underlying material below the external liner swells, you can't do much, but if its surface rust on the liner you can clean it up)

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have thousands of salt water hours using the plastic liners, I love them, never had one fail but I do not run into rocks etc That would damage the impellers more than the liners and the liners are very inexpensive to change out . Also I do not have to listen to the annoying metallic clinging noise when running on the trailer. I have never had a stainless liner rust even in salt water.
I believe there are several plastic liner setups available from different manufacturers, even Yamaha finally did away with the stainless liners and now new boats come with plastic pump liner sections starting with all the 2019 models.

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you @Gym, @Cobra Jet Steering LLC and @Beachbummer for the help.
I went and checked my housing and impeller and they look really good imo. Impeller are not dented, housing are smooth and clearance is as per service manual specs.
As recommended I won't do anything right now and monitor during next seasons.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yikes. That looks very messy to this fresh water guy. Can't you file some of that stuff off?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
As suggested, you really need to add some zinc to your pump housings to slow the corrosion.

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will do. Looks like I can add the same Yamaha zinc anode on the other side of the pump so I will have two on each pump.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Nope,, most of the anodes I have found from the factory are magnesium, add zinc to the other side of the pump.
You can tell if the anode is zinc it will be very heavy if it is magnesium it will be very lite.

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Try to avoid stainless steel and salt water if possible.