• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Recommendations on starter kneeboard and wakeboard

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My daughters, 11 and 7, want to try kneeboarding and maybe wakeboarding this year. Does anyone have good recommendations on boards/brands? I don't want to break the bank since they may decide after the first time they don't like it. I see kneeboards from $90 - $300 but I have no idea what the differences are.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my daughters started at the same age,
I would tell you to go with a less expensive kneeboard, probably one with a hook on the front to hold the tow rope,
kneeboarding was a great way for them to get the feel of being pulled by the boat, leaning and cutting to go outside the wake, you can pull at a relatively slow speed and don't have to worry much about them. The hook will allow them to use both hands to get up on the board but really the smaller they are the easier it is for them to get from the stomachs starting out to their knees, get two if you can find them and you can pull them at the same time, it's pretty tame and I always liked getting more fun per gallon of gas burned.

If they have a little coordination they should be able to wakeboard also, I would suggest a cheap one just to see if they want to do it but if they are interested splurge on a nicer one that will be more comfortable for them, look on craigslist even a few years old is ok for them starting out.

I would also suggest surfing, the 7 yr old may be to small but 11 year old should be ok, even without ballast they will have fun and it's much lower impact than wakeboarding, maybe there's a member around that could take you out for an afternoon, both mine like it better than wakeboarding.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
As far as the knee board goes, like scott said....just get one with the hook in the front. My son started when he was 9 and was able to get up and on his knees in the first try. We are starting the wakeboarding this year. I bought a Hyperlite Motive Jr. 119 with Hyperlite bindings on ebay for $200......new and this year's model. Also look into the Ronix Vision. It had great feedback as well. Their shoe (binding) size and weight will determine a lot about what you go with. I'm looking into picking them up a Phase 5 Scamp wakesurfer. Seems to get a lot of praise online for the little groms.

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my daughters started at the same age,
I would tell you to go with a less expensive kneeboard, probably one with a hook on the front to hold the tow rope,
kneeboarding was a great way for them to get the feel of being pulled by the boat, leaning and cutting to go outside the wake, you can pull at a relatively slow speed and don't have to worry much about them. The hook will allow them to use both hands to get up on the board but really the smaller they are the easier it is for them to get from the stomachs starting out to their knees, get two if you can find them and you can pull them at the same time, it's pretty tame and I always liked getting more fun per gallon of gas burned.

If they have a little coordination they should be able to wakeboard also, I would suggest a cheap one just to see if they want to do it but if they are interested splurge on a nicer one that will be more comfortable for them, look on craigslist even a few years old is ok for them starting out.

I would also suggest surfing, the 7 yr old may be to small but 11 year old should be ok, even without ballast they will have fun and it's much lower impact than wakeboarding, maybe there's a member around that could take you out for an afternoon, both mine like it better than wakeboarding.
The Yamaha I boat over the winter has perfect pass and ballast bags installed so it should be good to go for stuff.

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Check this out! http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gladiator-Versa-All-One-Watersports-Board&i=848687
Just bought it for my kids (ages 9/13) and I think they are going to love it. Hell, I think the wife and I will really like it. Looks like a blast! I also purchased the Hydroslide rope/handle that has the bar for the hydro hook on it!
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=HydroSlide-Kneeboard-Handle-Rope&i=16136

We can't wait to try it and my kids love the fact there is no strap for them to worry about. It's going to be a fun toy :)

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check this out! http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gladiator-Versa-All-One-Watersports-Board&i=848687
Just bought it for my kids (ages 9/13) and I think they are going to love it. Hell, I think the wife and I will really like it. Looks like a blast! I also purchased the Hydroslide rope/handle that has the bar for the hydro hook on it!
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=HydroSlide-Kneeboard-Handle-Rope&i=16136

We can't wait to try it and my kids love the fact there is no strap for them to worry about. It's going to be a fun toy :)

That does look cool and would be a good starter for them. If they get more in to it I can move up.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We start out our beginners from shore. Makes it easy for them. Water starts are later when they advance. The easy kneeboards are boring later. The narrower boards are easier to turn and funner overall. As for wakeboards, we have an expensive hyperlite with the best bindings, but everyone uses the cheap Costco Hobie one. Cam.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recommend you go used at first. It's a lot cheaper, so less painful to get into and out of. For the knee board go with a thick one, preferably with hook and similar noses and tails, make tricks like 180s/360s easier. The pointed ones seems to be better in the turns, IMHO.

For the wakeboard get one with the best bindings you can. Start with one your older can grow into soon, same for the bindings.

I made a wakeboard trainer a few years ago for my son and it works great. The one I made for the bigger boards doesn't get much use but the women love it. They guys not so much, too much machismo, so we (the ladies and I) let them entertain us sometimes with how much abuse they can take/who can pull off the biggest fail of the day and the endless excuses (e,g. The sun was in my eyes, the handle is wet and slippery, the board or bindings are to small, to big, I drank to much, not enough, etc.). Speaking if which don't forget the lifevest, the brighter the better.

Last edited:

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Have anyone tried that Versa yet? I'm tempted, but I've only found one review and it wasn't good. Looking for some more thoughts on it before committing.

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Have anyone tried that Versa yet? I'm tempted, but I've only found one review and it wasn't good. Looking for some more thoughts on it before committing.
I bought it based on the fact it looks like it will suit our needs wonderfully. Unfortunately it will be a while before we hit the water with it in Ohio. I am curious though, where did you read a review for it? I haven't seen any. @smthng

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@CFD3Captain The only review I found for it was on Amazon. One user gave it one star and basically said it was junk. I'm not willing to put a lot of stock in a single review of three sentences, which is why I was asking. :) On paper, the versa looks perfect for our needs... teaching family and friends to board relatively safely and easily. My only real concerns are "does it work" and "is it fun". If it can do everything the video shows, it seems like a no-brainer.

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
My same sentiment....I have the board in my possession and must say....I don't see how it can't work LOL. The video showed what it can do and honestly I am just hoping my kids can use it with the handles and have some fun. With any luck, maybe stand on it some and get them into surfing next :) I promise to report as soon as we try it, but it will be a few weeks at least.

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Ok...I found the Amazon review....
Cheap - Fell Apart the First Run
By Jeff on March 31, 2015
This was a complete waste of money. Very poor quality. I bought it a week ago with high hopes. The handles did not stay on the board. The footstraps are super uncomfortable. The holes were covered up where you are supposed to screw in the footstraps and handles. Its a piece of junk. Dont waste your time with this.

Again, haven't used it yet so I can't testify to its "true" durability", but nothing seems poor in quality at all. I don't know how in the heck the handles could "fall" off unless he just barley threaded them on. The screws are long and REALLY get threaded into the board. The straps...well they are a little gimmicky I suppose, they fit a little awkward I suppose, But I had no trouble putting them on. I can see the uncomfortable comment about them, but what do you expect. I guess I blew that off because I really don't see us using the foot straps.

Edit: I'll snap some pics of mine if you want to see it. Also, mine is black like the one on Overtons site. Also, a cool little feature nothing made mention of is the spring loaded fins on the bottom.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When we got our wakeboard I discovered the sizes are geared towards the weight of the rider. We bought ours at West Marine and talked to the guys there about sizes and boards to use for learning. So we got a decent (not cheap, not expensive) board that would handle the larger kids. The lighter kids grew quickly so we are glad we did that. The lighter kids didn't have any problem with getting up either. We had skis and some kids prefer the skis over the wakeboard. We will put two at a time regular and it does provide more fun per gallon. We do the same with the tubes. We have several and pull multiples. I think it is more fun for the people in the boat too! :)

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ok, the weather has to have warmed up a bit by now up there in the great white North... Anyone had any water time on the Versa yet? ;) Tempted to pull the trigger on one.

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
We've had some time on it. I really like it. The kids have yet to get on it (still being gun shy of the water-sports besides the tube), but all of the adults have ridden it and have had a BLAST! It's a little big and likes to bounce more than my surf board in the rack on rough days, but nothing terrible. Well worth the price, especially if you can grab it on sale! The wife even enjoyed it :)

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Cool, just jumped in on it. Overton's has 20% off most everything right now and I needed parts anyway. Thanks!

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Just wanted to mention or restate that I have the Hydroslide Handle/Rope (link above) and it works great as well. Its nice having the little bar that holds on the hook, leaving the handle free to grab when you are ready to :)

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Mine all arrived the other day. Looks like a pretty solid setup, except I would have liked a strap for kneeboarding. I dig the retractable fins... that'll make it easier for n00bs to handle until they get used to it.

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Kneeboard: We just got an el cheapo from Wal Mart and it has provided hours and hours of run with no problems. It has the "cheat" clip to hold the rope handle and the kids climb up to their knees in the first five seconds of the ride. This board is pretty forgiving, with a blunt nose. Allows you to do 360s and get a good cut across the wake too. So far it has held up solid for two seasons.

Wakeboard: Hyperlite Vapor 135 has been great for all of us. Specifically designed for heavier folks with bigger feet, but the kids are fine with it too. removable fins and boots change from goofy to regular stance in a matter of two minutes.
http://www.wiredsport.com/hyperlite-2014-wakeboard-vapor.html