• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

removing an oil filter that is frozen on solid

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just yesterday my 2nd harbor freight "universal oil filter wrench" thing broke and rather than head to the store for the strap wrench I should have purchased in the first place, I used a pipe wrench. Worked perfectly on the 1.8s with the high up position. I may just stick with that method!
I think I've found your problem! ;)

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Back when I worked on airplanes there was a problem with sticking oil filters on the Big Continentals.
The oil that you put on the gasket cooks to the sealing surface.
The fix was to use silicone grease instead of oil to lubricate the gasket.
Back then we destroyed a lot of filter cans trying every thing to get them off.
I made an adapter that had steels rods welded to a socket made to fit those pins in the holes on the filter base so that you could really get a grip.
Once we all switched to the silicone grease that was allover.
The filter manufacturers finally started lubricating them from the factory.
Don't use engine oil to lube that filter gasket!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last edited:

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You are on your own removing the can, but to keep from having a problem use a silicone grease like DC4 or similar instead of engine oil and the gasket will not cook in place.
and No it does not leak.
We started doing this on Aircraft oil filters for 20 years

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's what I've been using. Same concept as some of the ones listed above. It's from Home Depot (a place that I visit way too often).

IMG_0930.PNG

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@itsdgm That is the one I bought after your recommendation. Works great but I wish I didn't have to break it out on the boat.