• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Removing hydro turf grrrrrr!

The big difference between 2009 and 2010 models was the change from embossed tread dots on the swim platform (23 foot models) to a slick gelcoat swim splatform (24 foot models and newer as well as 2012-Current 21 foot models).

The slick gelcoat basically multiplies the surface area contacting the glue. With embossed anti-skid the glue contacted surface area is much smaller so the glue is not sticking to nearly as much deck and therefore easier to remove.

This is true an I saw as much with another users pictures, but still if when removing you allow it to rip, that remnant is MUCH harder to remove with out the pull of the large mat to help lift off.

The big difference between 2009 and 2010 models was the change from embossed tread dots on the swim platform (23 foot models) to a slick gelcoat swim splatform (24 foot models and newer as well as 2012-Current 21 foot models).

The slick gelcoat basically multiplies the surface area contacting the glue. With embossed anti-skid the glue contacted surface area is much smaller so the glue is not sticking to nearly as much deck and therefore easier to remove.

I caught this earlier in the thread that the guys with 2009 or older boats were having a much easier time. I finally saw it early this morning looking at some pictures that they all had non skid on the deck compared to the flat deck on the newer boats which would reduce the amount of glue sticking dramatically. To give you an idea the only spot with non skid on the newer 24ft boats is the anchor locker I didn't even need any tools to get the mat off that spot just peeled a corner and slowly pulled and it came off in one piece. I know see how it was much easier and I don't feel so bad now.

Brake cleaner did help turn some of the foam and glue residue to boogers, but I forgot how crazy intense the funes are. I switched back to acetone. I still have plenty of residue stuck in the tread that is difficult to scrub out so don't think us earlier boat have it easier, just different.

Brake cleaner did help turn some of the foam and glue residue to boogers, but I forgot how crazy intense the funes are. I switched back to acetone. I still have plenty of residue stuck in the tread that is difficult to scrub out so don't think us earlier boat have it easier, just different.

@JetPowered I know what you went through it was a different experience you are correct. I was able to pull the anchor locker off easily but left with the same stuff. I just sprayed it with goo be gone let it soak for 20 minutes then on the way to storage I stopped at the car wash and it sprayed off I would try that if you have a bunch left in the cracks or stuck to the knobs of the anti skid or use a pressure wash if you have one on hand. .

I did this to my previous boat. Best advice I can give is: do it when it is colder out, cut the turf with a razor blade in 2-3" wide strips along the lines in the turf, use that painters multi-tool and put a layer of Gorilla tape on the blade end to prevent gouging. Using the taped scraper, start at one end and remove it in strips.
The turf on my current boat is in nearly perfect shape, but I ordered the entire Seadek kit during the group buy, and I'm debating on trying to do the swim platform this winter or letting it go until next winter. I dread removing that old turf again!

To get out from between those stubborn treads scrub with a terry towel/green pad...whatever...on a 45 degree angle away from your selves and hit it in both directions. Up/Down/Left/Right doesn't work nearly as well and the 45 away/towards gets in between the bumps.

when using acetone in the final clean up are you guys rinsing off or just wiping and letting air dry?

We just tried goof off (goo gone) and that seems to be working better than acetone or mineral spirits.

Let the acetone air dry. Acetone does not leave any residue like other solvents. If you use Goof Off, I would do a final clean with acetone before applying the SeaDek.

Well finally got some time and went and finished minus the one little step peice on the back. When I left to go down to the boat I somehow forgot it. :facepalm:

IMG_3120[1].jpg IMG_3143[1].jpg IMG_3144[1].jpg IMG_3147[1].jpg IMG_3148[1].jpg IMG_3149[1].jpg

Finally done and am very happy with the finished result! Took 4 hours of prep, & 4.5 hours to install.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 47
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    981.2 KB · Views: 46
Finally done and am very happy with the finished result! Took 4 hours of prep, & 4.5 hours to install.

Looks great!

I am happy to report it only took me 20-30 minutes to pull off the swimdeck Hydroturf. Just have to get the little bit of residue off and clean it up. @JetBoatPilot was right about the nonskid surface being easier to pull the turf off. I was able to pull of at least 3 full sheets at a time. Just waiting for my turf to ship to complete the process.

robert843 -----AGAIN the real key to success on this issue is PATIENCE; PATIENCE; PATIENCE :winkingthumbsup"(I KNOW THE FEELING - the HELL with PATIENCE I am going to KILL SOMETHING) :rage: I have been working on my removal since July of 2014, removal of this stuff in Florida at summer/humidity time NOT HAPPENING; so I relocated back to Arizona - Arizona summer not an ideal time for removal. I finally have the complete interior removed - the removal was and is a pain in the ASS.....After 9 years of it being in the boat the heat and dryness just made it crumble; I was not able to remove any of it in a piece larger than a dollar bill. NOw I have the swim platform to remove; but what is confusing to me is the hydro turf on the swim platform has remained in better shape than that throughout the interior, yet the swim platform gets used more and rougher than the interior.

I have a complete brand new set sitting in the garage - I am not sure that I will even bother installing it or going back to snap in carpet; this can be easily removed, cleaned or replaced cheaper than the SeaDek or HYdro Turf or the Other stuff.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions. right now we are all fine without anything in the interior as it is actually getting cooler :cold: here in the valley of the sun.

Good luck, drive on be Safe and the END IS IN SIGHT..[flag]

Starting a Flooring Project in my 2014 SX190. Need to remove the OEM Hydro-Turf from the swim platform. So Goo-Gone, Acetone, and maybe a 3m Eraser Wheel?

I saw a post where someone had used an oscilating tool to assist with the removal of the glued down mat on the swim platfor. Seemed to work well for them, but YMMV. I’ll see if I can find a link.

Starting a Flooring Project in my 2014 SX190. Need to remove the OEM Hydro-Turf from the swim platform. So Goo-Gone, Acetone, and maybe a 3m Eraser Wheel?

Mine came up easier, but newer boat. I helped another member and his wasn't coming up. So we used de-bond and a heat gun in some areas as well as acetone in the bigger areas. Once the matting was removed and it left gunk and glue we sprayed De-Bond everywhere and let is sit. Soaking it. Wiped it down then final cleaned with Acetone again.

Watch this video before you start:

Back