• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replaced bunks on MFI trailer

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce - are you bunks still holding up ? this is next on my boat to-do list,

is this similar spruce to what you bought (it says spruce-pine-fir) or do I need to go to a lumber yard?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-x-6-in-x-10-ft-2-and-Better-Kiln-Dried-Heat-Treated-Spruce-Pine-Fir-Lumber-161721/202091222?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-202091220-_-202091222-_-N

I had two rusted lag bolts fail this year on one of the rear bunks. I remember sideways force being applied but have forgotten the specifics. The bunks are still solid. I installed new lag bolts and have continued to use the same bunk boards but that did inspire me to think about replacing them again.

That lumber appears to be similar.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think I may have over thought things when I replaced mine. I was concerned about lags failing or the boards weakening/rotting under the carpet to the point a hard landing might allow the tip of the lag to gouge the hull. I countersunk the top for a carriage bolt head to be safely recessed and put nuts on the bracket side. It is easy to check and tighten the bunks (until they do rot and the bolt head spins). It has worked out but was a real pain to get the holes all propely aligned and then installed after being covered with the carpet.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Seadeals, I considered doing the same but decided it was too much trouble for bunks that could replace in a few hours.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so, I was just loading the boat in stormy conditions, had 8 people on the boat and when the boat hit the trailer instead of correcting like it normally does (normally its just me on the boat) the bunk actually broke in the middle.

I have a 2019 AR190. should I try to get a replacement from Shorelander or try and build my own?

is it possible to pull the carpet off the old bunk and put it on a new 2x6?

Being that its Saturday night I would have to wait until Tuesday to ask the dealer about price and availability.

The bunk seems to be holding currently, I am assuming due to the weight on the ends of the mounts.

I am planning to have the boat in the water tomorrow so it will be off the trailer, could possibly try to fix it at that point if I am doing it myself.

D4EB98D1-7480-4BDF-BC48-AD0DC7631418.jpeg

Last edited:

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just purchase a piece of wood and fix it. Could maybe pull the carpet off but for 20 bucks have new.. should be pretty easy to replace once boat is unloaded. Need to do this soon for my boat.

Last boat I had was driving it back from Charlotte and bunk snapped in middle. Had to find closest ramp and push boat back further to support on broken bunk.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any issues with the untreated select Pine from Lowe’s? I think it’s a Douglas fur?

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well it was definitely broke.

Got it pulled apart at Lowe’s grabbing the 2x6 and staples to put it back together. BA5B70E3-DF77-404C-A33B-1DDD0A3A0FCF.jpeg9B60D6C6-5640-4382-82F1-ACE845A2AA9B.jpegF99DFA49-0227-4F91-88B9-ED99B3C5F777.jpegA4BA0126-8DAD-4A4B-830B-F5A801DD7C75.jpeg

All fixed now

F097A15E-7A9A-4C7A-A2C0-7D44F84AEE22.jpeg

Last edited:

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's time for me to do this as well. Mine came out completely and floated on the water while I was going to load the boad back on it.
I think I will just purchase a new kit with new carpet.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I only have one word to say on this issue. UBBs

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I only have one word to say on this issue. UBBs
Covered in carpet?

There were many reports of UBBs wearing away the gelcoat.

My guess is that being less stiff they sag in the middle putting more force on hull at the points where they connect to the trailer frame.

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I did mine I used pine from Lowes, but sealed them with deck sealer first. Bought new bunk material from eBay. I used both adhesive spray and stainless steel Staples to secure the bunk carpet to the wood. Seems to work well...so far.

Attachments

formontb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello - boat/trailer is in storage. Can someone tell me if the MFI trailer for a 2007 SX210 also uses (2) 10 ft 2x6 and (2) 5 ft 2x6? Looking to get new boards and carpet and make them up while sheltering at home...

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello - boat/trailer is in storage. Can someone tell me if the MFI trailer for a 2007 SX210 also uses (2) 10 ft 2x6 and (2) 5 ft 2x6? Looking to get new boards and carpet and make them up while sheltering at home...
My 2006 sx210 is in the side yard. I measured two 9' and two 5' bunks. But I see no reason why you couldn't use 10' in place of the 9'.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I replaced my bunk boards I used UBBs and covered them with material. The UBBs will never need to be replaced but they are not as firm as wood. It's a tradeoff. I only trail about 15 miles each way to the lake.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My 2006 sx210 is in the side yard. I measured two 9' and two 5' bunks. But I see no reason why you couldn't use 10' in place of the 9'.
I ended up going long on both of my sets of bunks. Think I took someone's measurements from a 240 boat. It works, but there's def extra wood. I'll grab my pics from my install on my 21ft-er.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
These are the old bunks. You can see where they stop up front.
20190204_133548.jpg

I split the distance in half by moving the longer board more to the center between the mounts. If I did it the stock location they would have been hella long up front. So, yeah it's not the end of the world, but when it comes time to replace these I'll go back to the shorter length on the long main boards.
20190403_102520.jpg

formontb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks so much for checking!

formontb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
These are the old bunks. You can see where they stop up front.
View attachment 115025

I split the distance in half by moving the longer board more to the center between the mounts. If I did it the stock location they would have been hella long up front. So, yeah it's not the end of the world, but when it comes time to replace these I'll go back to the shorter length on the long main boards.
View attachment 115026
Beautiful boat! Thanks for the details. I made it out to measure mine and they are 8 feet. So I guess anywhere between 8 and 9 is fine. Anyone know what the original spec was on an MFI for a 21 footer?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine are 5’ and 8’.