• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing 13" tires with 14"

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am going to change out the stock wheels and tires on my trailer. Has anyone that has done this gone to a 14" wheel/tire from the 13"? Any issues doing so? I believe the newer 192's already have the 14's.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I changed out tires and wheels in late June of 15, although I stayed with the same size, I would recommend you go with a radial vs bias ply.

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I changed out tires and wheels in late June of 15, although I stayed with the same size, I would recommend you go with a radial vs bias ply.
Thanks. I am definitely changing to radials. That is the primary purpose for the change, the wheels are just an afterthought. I would prefer to move up to a 14" if it's possible.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought from Scott from www.trailertiresandwheels.com He delivered on time and answered all my questions. Super nice guy to deal with and I couldn't beat his prices.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think the only issue would be if the trailer fenders were a different size. Find out the radius of the new tires you are looking at and measure from the center of the hub to see if you have enough clearance. Do the same thing for the width assuming where the wheel bolts to the hub is the center of the wheel. I used recstuff.com. Great site, good prices and selection, and great customer service. Shipping might be spendy to your area though. They are based in WI.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I went with a slightly smaller tire than the stock because I got such a good price on it. If the fenders are smaller on the 190 trailers you might be able to get away with a 205/75R14 radial like I used (stock is a 215/75R14 on the 192's I believe). My boat is at my family cabin about 2.5 hours away otherwise I would take some measurements of my fenders for you to compare to your own. Maybe someone else can do that for you.
20150423_181530_resized.jpg

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After looking more closely it appears as if I can add some shims to raise the fenders if there is not enough clearance. I am going to order some 14" wheels/tires and see how they fit. @d_coyne1984 those wheels look good!

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I decided to go ahead and order the 14" wheels with hopes I could make them fit. I did have to remove the fenders to get them on but they do fit. They do fill up the fender well though but don't rub. Huge improvement over the stock tires.

The bias-plys that were on it had a very strange wear to them.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Every Bias Ply tire I have ever had or have seen have worn exactly like that. No such wear on my radials. Were you able to just remount the fenders a little higher up then?

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Every Bias Ply tire I have ever had or have seen have worn exactly like that. No such wear on my radials. Were you able to just remount the fenders a little higher up then?
I mounted exactly how they were. The outer lip of the fender was not allowing me to mount the tires. I thought I might have to add some washers to elevate the fenders but they fit fine once the tire was on.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
That makes sense. Just make sure you have the tools needed to remove the fender with you if you're towing and have to change a tire!

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I decided to go ahead and order the 14" wheels with hopes I could make them fit. I did have to remove the fenders to get them on but they do fit. They do fill up the fender well though but don't rub. Huge improvement over the stock tires.
The bias-plys that were on it had a very strange wear to them.

That strange wear is called "cupping" or "Scalloping". Its cause by excessive bouncing of the suspension. Usually you see it on cars with worn out suspensions. What happens is the tire dribbles up off the road on every rotation and when it lands it scuffs out a piece of the tire rubber. After thousands of rotations you get cupped tire treads. Its also caused by inferior tire rubber compounds and tire underinflation. Cupped tires are dangerous on cars because it causes a loss in traction, and road holding. I cant imagine its much better for a trailer, especially if you get a wobble... Definitely time to change any tire when you see this developing, its a precursor to other problems.

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you're tires have been wearing consistently like this, check your tire pressure. My trailer tires are supposed to be inflated to 60 psi. Everyone told me not to fill it that much that it will blow up. I spoke with the guy who sold me the tires and he informed me that I have a greater chance of a blowout under inflated , and to run the recommended pressure.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That strange wear is called "cupping" or "Scalloping". Its cause by excessive bouncing of the suspension. Usually you see it on cars with worn out suspensions. What happens is the tire dribbles up off the road on every rotation and when it lands it scuffs out a piece of the tire rubber. After thousands of rotations you get cupped tire treads. Its also caused by inferior tire rubber compounds and tire underinflation. Cupped tires are dangerous on cars because it causes a loss in traction, and road holding. I cant imagine its much better for a trailer, especially if you get a wobble... Definitely time to change any tire when you see this developing, its a precursor to other problems.
I know very little about suspensions other than basics. Is the suspension on our trailers crap? I wonder if it would be worth it/possible to upgrade to a torsion style?

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you're tires have been wearing consistently like this, check your tire pressure. My trailer tires are supposed to be inflated to 60 psi. Everyone told me not to fill it that much that it will blow up. I spoke with the guy who sold me the tires and he informed me that I have a greater chance of a blowout under inflated , and to run the recommended pressure.
These are the old tires/wheels so they are no longer on the trailer. I will check the pressure all the same. The new set came inflated to 50psi. I have not looked at what is optimal but I will before I tow the boat anywhere. Good info. Thanks.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know very little about suspensions other than basics. Is the suspension on our trailers crap? I wonder if it would be worth it/possible to upgrade to a torsion style?
1.Yes.
2. Do you tow regularly and far enough to warrant that expense? If you're running radials, and are properly inflated, have a nice level trailer with evenweight distribution you probably dont. I check pressure everytime we leave and we only go 14 miles round trip. But then again every other trip I give the hubs a shot of grease too....:confused:

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I think this is going to be my next purchase. It's about an hour to the closest two two lake I regularly go to and I just don't feel comfortable running on the interstate with bias-ply tires. I'm hoping it will help with the trailer bounce as well.

I need to take the bolt pattern measurements so I can start deciding which specific rims I want.

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think this is going to be my next purchase. It's about an hour to the closest two two lake I regularly go to and I just don't feel comfortable running on the interstate with bias-ply tires. I'm hoping it will help with the trailer bounce as well.

I need to take the bolt pattern measurements so I can start deciding which specific rims I want.
Your bolt pattern should be 5x4.5". I believe all 190 series trailers are the same. Someone else may be able to confirm this.