• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing Stock Air Filters with K & N Oval Filters

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@haknslash I'm using it to stablize the filter, there is a strap holder right under the lip there where the zip tie is, just ought of sight.

Medvec04

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
What year is your 195? Want to see how hard it is to do and if it’s worth it. Also what’s your top speed right now?
I have 2020 195s. My top speed is 50.6. There is a thread where a guy did all the mods I wanna do and his tops speed is 61

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks to @jEt_jAk for the asisst on the new air filter..all done! Looks great can't wait to get her out later this week....I was glad I did this change for a couple of reasons, but if did find while doing the install that apparently the tube that protects the front oil breather was melted through, I checked the actual hose and no signs of a hole, repositioned the hose away from the motor and put the melted part up and away from its previous position, just ordered both anyway, going to replace asap.
View attachment 109328
looking good!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash I'm using it to stablize the filter, there is a strap holder right under the lip there where the zip tie is, just ought of sight.
Is the strap holder connected to the engine or the compartment around the engine? Reason I ask is these engines move around quite a bit and you would want the zip tie/strap to move with the engine.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@haknslash its connected to the compartment around the engine, I didnt realize the engines moved that much, the strap is semi loose around the filter, I just didn't want it bouncing around unsupported, will take a look tomorrow and see if I can come up with something on the engine, Thanks

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea they move / vibrate a lot! Especially at no wake or lower RPM's off idle. Next time you're on the water pop the engine hatch open and just watch the engine from idle through no wake mode speeds.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The stock filter is attached compartment also I suppose.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The stock filter is attached compartment also I suppose.
Via bracket IIRC on the side below fuel line but not zip tied pulling against the filter element. The amount these things vibrate I wouldn't feel comfortable with it rubbing against the nice new filter. Not my boat though so anyone can do as they wish of course. Is the clamp and hard pipe not strong enough to support the filter on its own?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have 2020 195s. My top speed is 50.6. There is a thread where a guy did all the mods I wanna do and his tops speed is 61
61? He might have a bridge to sell too... sounds a bit inflated - what were his mods?

Medvec04

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
61? He might have a bridge to sell too... sounds a bit inflated - what were his mods?
I don’t think it is. There is a shop in south Florida that did a 192 and got it going 60 gps. But his mods are Riva 8800 rpm tune, intake, fizzle intercooler ribbon delete, lucky cone blow off valve and a solas prop re pitched

Medvec04

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Just with a ribbon delete and fizzle intercooler you can pick up 4-5 mph

BrentEB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
K&N's are over marketed. I also have an old sports car and they really don't do anything noticable for performance there. I'd suspect the same on boats.

My boat has MR-1 110's. From what I've read the "ribbon delete" really has no effect on them, but that's no relation to more modern high output versions. But I would beware of claims - unless you push rpm's beyond normal limits how does the engine(s) develop higher speed at the same max rpm unless impeller pitch is changed?

Medvec04

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
K&N's are over marketed. I also have an old sports car and they really don't do anything noticable for performance there. I'd suspect the same on boats.

My boat has MR-1 110's. From what I've read the "ribbon delete" really has no effect on them, but that's no relation to more modern high output versions. But I would beware of claims - unless you push rpm's beyond normal limits how does the engine(s) develop higher speed at the same max rpm unless impeller pitch is changed?
It’s a little different when comparing n/a to forced induction. The supercharger is suffocated by the air coming in (intake filter) and going out (ribbon). Riva racing has R&D on all of their products. I did the same mods to my ski and it made a huge difference.

Medvec04

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

When you do the ribbon delete on the sho/svho motors. It’s frees up about 1.5-2 psi more boost. Also it increases the rpm by 250-500.

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hey not to go against what @Medvec04 just said but I have a 2019 AR195. I performed the ribbon delete which needed to be cut out of the manifold. Its a huge PITA. However, my top speed with two adults (I weigh 170 Wife 140) is only 43 mph tops. That is with 3/4 tank of gas and top not open. I also have the Lucky 13 with all three washers in. My top RPM is 7550 @ 43. That is hard to get to. Usually I am around 41 @ 7400. Maybe I just have a slow boat but I haven't been able to get the mph up any. Also I didn't see really any difference with the ribbon delete. I am open to any ideas. I would love to get to the 50 mark.

Medvec04

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hey not to go against what @Medvec04 just said but I have a 2019 AR195. I performed the ribbon delete which needed to be cut out of the manifold. Its a huge PITA. However, my top speed with two adults (I weigh 170 Wife 140) is only 43 mph tops. That is with 3/4 tank of gas and top not open. I also have the Lucky 13 with all three washers in. My top RPM is 7550 @ 43. That is hard to get to. Usually I am around 41 @ 7400. Maybe I just have a slow boat but I haven't been able to get the mph up any. Also I didn't see really any difference with the ribbon delete. I am open to any ideas. I would love to get to the 50 mark.
You should be closer to 48 stock. What was your water temps? Warmer temps won’t yield good top speeds. When the water was 82 my top speed was 46

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Anyone know if these K&N filters are considered flame arrestors as well?

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The K & N Filters are not rated as flame arrestors.

I have read many postings on this site of people who have removed them from the intake system, (small screen) but could not tell any noticable performance gains.

So I did not remove mine, so it is no issue for me.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I’m planning on removing mine so wanted to see if there was an equivalent filter that also passes as flame arrestor.

BrentEB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In a word, no. A filter is not a flame arrestor. Flame arrestor's have a large surface area of metal that is designed to absorb flame heat and consequently quench those flames.