• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

replacing stock batteries on 2017 212X

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So I consulted my mechanic and we believe my 3 year old original batteries are causing my CONNEXT error messages. I have twin Interstate batteries with 800cca each. I'm thinking I'd like to replace the house battery with something better equipped to be a house battery, instead of a starting battery. Can I install 2 different types of batteries or must they be the same type?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I consulted my mechanic and we believe my 3 year old original batteries are causing my CONNEXT error messages. I have twin Interstate batteries with 800cca each. I'm thinking I'd like to replace the house battery with something better equipped to be a house battery, instead of a starting battery. Can I install 2 different types of batteries or must they be the same type?
That's been discussed, I don;t think there are any issues with using different types as long as your DVSR is working properly to separate them when charging, and a dual bank charger would be required.
Also, given the small size of the engines many here use marine (deep cycle) batteries for both cranking and house, that is my plan too whenever I need to replace my batteries will go with two AGM deep cycles.

--

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
3 years is not a bad run. Interstate makes a deep cycle/Marine battery that Costco sells for $75. Optima is $200 but I don't think it will last 7 (should last 8 at that price for $25 per year). Last I looked, I bought the Marine interstate for $75, but my needs are minimal, as I have a small radio with basic speakers and no amp, and I rarely use it. Sometimes they last 4 or 5 years.

If you need the extra capacity, great, look for better, but if you want a "better" battery, for the price alone they don't seem to be worth it. That cash is better spent on fuel.

My humble opinion.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a Optima Blues in my boat. They are on season 4 now and are either trickle charging at the lake or on a battery tender over the winter. I use a group 27 (or maybe 28) for the start battery and a group 31 for the house. No problems with the different sizes. I haven't had any worries about running low on juice with those. the previous "marine deep cycle" ones I had were always going dead.

Nfinlay1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's been discussed, I don;t think there are any issues with using different types as long as your DVSR is working properly to separate them when charging, and a dual bank charger would be required.
Also, given the small size of the engines many here use marine (deep cycle) batteries for both cranking and house, that is my plan too whenever I need to replace my batteries will go with two AGM deep cycles.

--
I am looking to add either 2 x 31 AGM batteries or keep the original Deka 24m5 as the starter and add 1 x 31 AGM as the house. It sounds like mixing the battery sizes really isn’t a problem from what I’ve read. However, my issue is I don’t have power at my marina.

I am not running any amps, subs or anything of that nature. Just the 4 speakers off the stock head unit. We usually beach for up to 8 hours and run the stereo in float mode. I’ve noticed recently that the house battery is dropping to 11.X volts at the end of the day. The boat starts fine but I want more peace of mind...Additionally, I’d like to be able to use a 12v pump to blow up inflatables.

How long and at what RPMs would I need to run the boat in order to charge the AGM battery if I am unable to charge while at the marina? How often would I need to pull the battery and take it home to be put on a tender? Should the starter battery be pulled and go on a tender?

Really trying to figure out if I am over thinking this and I should just stick with the two 24m5’s.

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Your amp hour and cold cranking amp specs do not need to be the same for the batteries however having them both the same type is helpful for charging. AGM does not have the same charging profile as a lead acid. That means you either need a charger specific to each battery or a multi bank charger where you can set each bank for the battery type.
With that said, I am done with lead acid. I have been running trolling motors and graphs for years. I have learned the AGM hold up better in hot summer and cold winter and take the beating of being in a boat way better. YMMV

Nfinlay1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your amp hour and cold cranking amp specs do not need to be the same for the batteries however having them both the same type is helpful for charging. AGM does not have the same charging profile as a lead acid. That means you either need a charger specific to each battery or a multi bank charger where you can set each bank for the battery type.
With that said, I am done with lead acid. I have been running trolling motors and graphs for years. I have learned the AGM hold up better in hot summer and cold winter and take the beating of being in a boat way better. YMMV
I would have to pull the batteries and bring them home to charge them. I would do them one at a time on a trickle charger that can handle different types of batteries.

Would bringing them home once a month to charge them be sufficient or do I need to do it weekly?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Man, that's a lot of work. I would look for other solutions, such as solar charger, or perhaps a portable battery pack that did not require lots of work to connect/disconnect vs taking the battery home every weekend. You are a better man than I am.

I have read the engine can provide between 20 and 28 amps each. Depending on your ride length and consumption it might be enough to recharge. Time will tell, but a second battery buys autonomy and reliability, so it's worth it. (In my humble opinion)

Best of luck.

EDIT: service manual says 16 amps at 6000 minimum. Not sure how to tell what it may be at higher rpms.

Last edited:

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
A trickle charger will take a long time to charge a heavily discharged deep cycle battery. I strongly suggest you look at onboard chargers even if you trailer the boat home every trip. They are very convenient and can maintain the battery instead of just charge it.
While pulling the batteries on the Yamaha is a ton easier than a bass boat, that is still not a fun job. I guess it would let you skip the gym that day.😃

Nfinlay1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A trickle charger will take a long time to charge a heavily discharged deep cycle battery. I strongly suggest you look at onboard chargers even if you trailer the boat home every trip. They are very convenient and can maintain the battery instead of just charge it.
While pulling the batteries on the Yamaha is a ton easier than a bass boat, that is still not a fun job. I guess it would let you skip the gym that day.😃
I don’t have the option to trailer the boat home, it lives on a rack. I am really thinking I need to replace the starter battery now too, I have never charged my original batteries. I have a Duracell 31 AGM Deep Cycle ready to go in to replace the House. Thinking I should get the Duracell 27 AGM dual-purpose for the Starter.

I am going to talk to my marina manager to see if I can run an extension cord to the boat, maybe once a week, to charge the batteries. If I can do that I will install an onboard charger.

I’m not totally sure how my batteries lasted 3 years without being charged 🤦🏽‍♂️

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am replacing my batteries this weekend. I have and have had one of the larger, more demanding stereos on this forum for a while. For the last 5-6 years, I have been running the Duracell branded batteries (Deka) from Sam's club and have been very happy with them. I have always kept the onboard chargers on them while not in use. In my last boat, I ran one group 27 "starting" battery and two group 29 deep cycle for the stereo all switched with a Perko. This new boat is getting a similar setup, but going with 3 "house" group 29 or 31.