• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery question!!

Maximilian

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Have a 2017 242x e and want to replace original interstate batteries with AGM’s. I’ve searched and searched but cannot find anything definitive on this. Question is, if I get AGM’s, will the solar panels charge them same as the stock ones? I moor my boat for the season and the solar panels have always kept my batteries topped off. I’m looking to replace them with X2Power BCI Group 24M 12V 76AH 840CCA AGM Deep Cycle Marine & RV Battery. TIA!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Have a 2017 242x e and want to replace original interstate batteries with AGM’s. I’ve searched and searched but cannot find anything definitive on this. Question is, if I get AGM’s, will the solar panels charge them same as the stock ones? I moor my boat for the season and the solar panels have always kept my batteries topped off. I’m looking to replace them with X2Power BCI Group 24M 12V 76AH 840CCA AGM Deep Cycle Marine & RV Battery. TIA!
As long as your solar charger has an AGM charging profile it will be okay.

Why not just replace the batteries with the same ones? They’re less money and they lasted you a good long time. Be sure and compare the reserve AH ratings between the two.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Why not just replace the batteries with the same ones? They’re less money and they lasted you a good long time. Be sure and compare the reserve AH ratings between the two.
I didn't know solar panels had to have "profiles" to charge different types of batteries. I've had a deep cycle (is that different than AGM?) installed in my boat for a couple of years and it charges fine from the panels (as far as I know). I also have a Craftsman home battery charger, and I'm not aware that it has an AGM or deep cycle profile.....

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It’s not the panels it’s the charge controller that has the different profiles. AGM batteries take a lower voltage than flooded lead acid batteries.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It’s not the panels it’s the charge controller that has the different profiles. AGM batteries take a lower voltage than flooded lead acid batteries.
So if you have one of each, could you swap to an AGM controller and charge both types (albeit slower). I would have guessed that a solar charger was running low voltage already....huh....learn something new every day here!

Maximilian

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

These are solar panels that come with the boat, there are no profiles for charging. It’s just a trickle charge to keep batteries topped off.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The AGM and Flooded Lead Acid charge profiles are almost the same voltages so I doubt you would have an issue.