• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing swollen impeller housing - Impeller touch up question

srf32

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Searched the forums but couldn't find answer to this question. Noticed rattle/grind noise in port engine toward end of last season. Getting the boat ready for this summer and pulled the pump to see if it might be a swollen liner. It was. Cone bearing feels great and no signs of water in the grease. Have replacement impeller housing ordered, but have a question about the impeller.

There is about a 3 inch long area affected on each of the 3 blades by the contact with the liner (see first phot0 There's a sharp lip where there was contact on each blade and the area is also rough. Any advantage or downside to lightly smoothing the rough edge and sharp lip on each blade? Would remove only as much as necessary and try to repeat evenly on each blade. Would it make any difference or just make me feel good...?

Also the trailing edge of one of the blades is bent (see second photo). I assume something solid was ingested and got "caught" between the impeller blade and one of the fixed vanes in the cone housing causing the bend. Not sure how much this is affecting performance. Is it worth trying to get it back closer to original shape? Leading edges and rest of the impeller are in good shape, so don't see a need to replace.

Thanks!

Attachments

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buy a new one. Betting u boat in salt water. Your liner is swollen. Buy one with a plastic liner on eBay or Amazon. Better and cheaper. I’ve replaced both mine.

srf32

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. Replacement housing is already on the way as per my original note.

My question was about dressing the scuffed areas of the impeller. You're saying that from the photos the impeller is too damaged and needs to be replaced?

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same setup as you. Just replaced my original impellers and wear rings today. They were on back order for like 12 months and finally got them delivered last winter. My impellers were a bit worse off than yours but my understanding is that it doesn't take a whole lot to make them less efficient.

I'd say go ahead and sand out the rough spots and try to bend back the trailing edge. It would only make things better.

srf32

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks.

I ended up just taking the sharp edges off with a fine file and then smoothed with a rotary wire brush. No easy way to address the bent trailing edge without disassembling the cone bearing assembly, so left it as is. Will see how it goes once back in the water.

Also went ahead replaced the starboard impeller housing too even though it did have any swelling yet. Boat will be in the water all summer, so easier to replace now (and not a lot of $ in the grand scheme). The impeller and bearing on that side looked great, so no additional work there.

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks.

I ended up just taking the sharp edges off with a fine file and then smoothed with a rotary wire brush. No easy way to address the bent trailing edge without disassembling the cone bearing assembly, so left it as is. Will see how it goes once back in the water.

Also went ahead replaced the starboard impeller housing too even though it did have any swelling yet. Boat will be in the water all summer, so easier to replace now (and not a lot of $ in the grand scheme). The impeller and bearing on that side looked great, so no additional work there.
In case you're feeling more ambitious before you're ready to buy new impellers - you'd need to unthread the impeller from the shaft to slide it off and repair the trailing edge.

Tool you'll need:

srf32

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good to know, thanks.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

srf32

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the tip. That said, both the new housings I installed have nylon liners, so shouldn't have to try your fix.