• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Researching for a new wakeboard

Lstorey89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm currently trying to find an intermediate wakeboard. I've been wakeboarding since i was a kid but had a pretty good gap of time where I didnt at all. I figured an intermediate board with removable fins (maybe?) would be a good idea to get for now.

What would be a solid brand, shape etc to go with? I've been out of the loop for so long now that I have almost no clue what I'm looking at. From what I've gathered so far, an intermediate board with a couple molded fins and a set of removable fins on it looks to be ideal for where I'm at as far as skill level.

Thanks in advance!

Lstorey89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@John Mcpartland Slingshot boards do look great and you can't beat the price for them either. How many fins does yours have and are any of them removable? I just want to make sure it's not too far beyond my skill level but still high enough for me to grow as I go out more.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have the liquid force trip and that's the board we started on. We were clearing wake fairly easily, various 180s, and I had attempted both forward and back rolls, unsuccessfully. So we bought a higher end liquid force...can't remember which one but it was carbon fiber, light, various fin configurations, etc. To be honest it didn't help at all. We've gotten a little older and crashes have taken their toll so we've pretty much traded wakeboarding for surfing at age 52.

The biggest bang for our buck was investing in good boots. If you are getting a new board don't skimp on boots.

Lstorey89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That makes sense, don't ever want to take the chance on feet or ankles. I remember those older rubber boots (if you could even call them that) and I still don't know how I didn't get any injuries with those as a kid haha. I will definitely do my due diligence on them for my build. Thank you!

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@John Mcpartland Slingshot boards do look great and you can't beat the price for them either. How many fins does yours have and are any of them removable? I just want to make sure it's not too far beyond my skill level but still high enough for me to grow as I go out more.
Mine has 2 fins on each side and they are removable but I haven't had any reason to remove them. It is a little squirrelly compared to other boards that have builtin channels and molded fins but once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun. For me I don't do to many big airs anymore just jumping the wake and a 180 once and a while. To me the slingshot feels more like a snowboard with a good sharp edge for carving and a smooth bottom for sliding/spinning

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check out evo.com, they have a lot of great advice articles.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have the liquid force trip and that's the board we started on. We were clearing wake fairly easily, various 180s, and I had attempted both forward and back rolls, unsuccessfully. So we bought a higher end liquid force...can't remember which one but it was carbon fiber, light, various fin configurations, etc. To be honest it didn't help at all. We've gotten a little older and crashes have taken their toll so we've pretty much traded wakeboarding for surfing at age 52.

The biggest bang for our buck was investing in good boots. If you are getting a new board don't skimp on boots.
What bindings do you have? I just ordered the liquid force trip with the Index OT bindings below. $249 shipped at wholesalemarine.com

8-16-2017 3-36-13 PM.png

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What bindings do you have? I just ordered the liquid force trip with the Index OT bindings below. $249 shipped at wholesalemarine.com

View attachment 62734
We actually wore out the index boots and went with a CWB hinged boot. It had the hing and heel release so it was easy to get on/off.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just bought a 2015 Ronix Bandwagon board (evo clearance for $250, original retail was $600) and highly recommend it or something similar (with "camber").

The camber is basically a high spot between your feet, so the center of the board is above the water and you are riding more on each foot (versus more back foot pressure). Think of camber as a "W" shaped board instead of the typical "U" (perspective when looking at riders heels).

It is a totally different but waaay better (to me) ride. Camber boards have a ton more pop than typical (because you are loading more evenly), and way softer landings (they have more total surface area to account for less wetted surface between your feet). The Bandwagon is also really "buttery" too (easy to carve/slide, with reduced edge catching) because of a rounded nose.

You have to relearn and adjust to riding with much more weight forward (which is a more natural position, reportedly similar to a snowboard) than a typical board (otherwise they plow a bit and feel slow) but after that adjustment it is awesome.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I still ride a blind side board from the late 90s. I love the sharp rails, but I don't do spi spins in the air anymore. I bought my wife a nice liquid force with lace bindings for $60 on cl earlier this year. It rides nice. I've ridden tons of boards and don't find a ton of difference, buy I don't do flips and spins, only grabs.