• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

researching for a purchase next spring

jvegas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hey all. I'm starting my research for a boat purchase for next season. Im in Maryland (on the severn river) and new to jet boats. grew up with I/O s. last boat as a 23' cuddy. looking for a bowrider this time around (21-24ft) for my family (me, wife, 4 year old, and 2 year old) and weighing the pros and cons of jet vs I/O. I'm here to hopefully soak up as much feedback as possible. i really like the new yamaha AR240 and its right at my max price point. I want to buy new this time around and not risk inheriting someone else's headaches.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @jvegas. You won't find a better source for jet boat information, or a better group of folks to learn from.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @jvegas to the site and good luck with your next boat purchase. Check out our members map and see if there's somebody close to you who would have firsthand knowledge of your waterways. They'd be able to best answer if a jet boat would work well in that area. Again, welcome and happy reading ;)

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yamaha makes reliable boats with few issues. We see more concentrated reports of issues here than in the general population as owners are more likely to join and ask for help than to report that their boat is perfect. I believe that you will be happy with whatever 23' to 24' Yamaha fits your budget.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hey all. I'm starting my research for a boat purchase for next season. Im in Maryland (on the severn river) and new to jet boats. grew up with I/O s. last boat as a 23' cuddy. looking for a bowrider this time around (21-24ft) for my family (me, wife, 4 year old, and 2 year old) and weighing the pros and cons of jet vs I/O. I'm here to hopefully soak up as much feedback as possible. i really like the new yamaha AR240 and its right at my max price point. I want to buy new this time around and not risk inheriting someone else's headaches.
Those new (2015+) AR240s are about the best value in (new) runabouts, IMO. Still a ton of cash, but hard to find a more versatile and dependable vessel.

--

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had a 21 foot Four Winns I/O for 18 years. I loved that boat. Sold it and bought a new 242 Limited SE in May. I have not looked back, and never regretted the move one bit. There is no comparison. Ride is great, speed is awesome, fuel burn is reasonable, and shallow draft is great for piece of mind. As for maintenance.....compared to the I/O with transmission, u-joints, multiple gears to change direction, maintenance is almost nothing. I looked at Chaps, Scarabs, and Yamaha. All great boats, but I went with Yamaha for bang for the buck, and their experience and reputation with jet boats. Welcome to the forum, and good luck on your search. Plenty of expertise, opinions, and knowlege on here!

jvegas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies. Based on my research, it looks like thrust vectors are almost essential for navigating a Yamaha boat through Tight spots at slow speed. anything I should be like looking at that is almost a must-have?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies. Based on my research, it looks like thrust vectors are almost essential for navigating a Yamaha boat through Tight spots at slow speed. anything I should be like looking at that is almost a must-have?
I would say it depends what you get and how you use the boat. Read up around here, plenty of opinions to draw your own conclusions.

In my opinion, Cobras have by far the best build and functionality. Ultimates w/fangs rule, I would not go with anything else in a Yamaha, AKs for the new 240s w/keel. https://jetboaters.net/threads/2016-ar240-cobra-fins-magnum-ak-w-fangs-install-and-first-impressions-plus-ez-locks-refresher.11530/

--

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm still new to my jet boat, but I grew up with a few different runabouts - outboards and I/Os. My Yamaha is awesome. I'm still getting used to the lack of a "true neutral" and the low speed maneuvering. It also doesn't fit in my garage because it's a lot taller than my last runabout (even without the tower). But I'm extremely content with my purchase thus far. If you grew up boating, you'll be able to get the hang of it quickly. The boat is extremely versatile. Lots of room, lots of power, lots of fun. You'll gain a wealth of knowledge from the people on this site.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I love the jet boat and safety aspect and all around versititly. The low maintenance and ease of use is awesome! I'm not familiar with your water ways. Are they relatively clean and low on vegetation. The clean out ports are great and to me where a must. I just hate seeing some one change without knowing about a blocked impeller by vegetation/debris.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard. I would say when you do decide to pull the trigger, take half a season to learn the boat before you add on Trust vectors or Cobra fins. I am going to get cobra fins next season but I'm very glad I got used to controlling the vessel before the add-ons. I believe every captain should do this before going the easy route as it gets you familiar with your new investment. Either way I believe you will be very satisfied. I had I/O Sea Ray and I have not looked back. I so so so love my new Yammi!

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would say it depends what you get and how you use the boat. Read up around here, plenty of opinions to draw your own conclusions.

In my opinion, Cobras have by far the best build and functionality. Ultimates w/fangs rule, I would not go with anything else in a Yamaha, AKs for the new 240s w/keel. https://jetboaters.net/threads/2016-ar240-cobra-fins-magnum-ak-w-fangs-install-and-first-impressions-plus-ez-locks-refresher.11530/

--
W/ @swatski here.
2nd 23+ Yamaha and Cobras are first mod.

I boat from VA but a boat-schooler so up Annapolis way a few times a season (Blue Angels,...).
Boat fresh lakes (Anna) mostly, Potomac 1/3 of time (DC, Tim's,...).
Tow to NY once a year to be on my childhood waters of LI Sound (Northport/Huntington).

Best, most versatile & economic boat available. Bar none!

My first was when my kids were just a bit older than yours. Make sure they can swim great so they can enjoy the awesome Transome & you and your bride can relax! (We had ours on YMCA swim team at 5,..., so momma would relax :)

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No need for any fin attachment. Learn how to drive it. Remember the key - No thrust? No control. Thrust? Control. You, too, will soon learn to make your boat dance. It is rather simple, the "slow speed assist" be damned!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Welcome to the site and good hunting. A couple of things to consider, fins or not...is the newer 240s have 1.8l engines vs. my 230 with the 1.1l mr-1 engines. My 07 engines turn at 10k+ rpms vs 8k rpms WOT for the newer boats. Couple of things here, speed and noise. The newer boats are faster than mine at 48.8 mph vs 240s at 56 mph and with that speed comes greater cockpit comfort in the form of engine noise, much better sound/vibration deadening on the newer boats. Will be installing additional sound proofing as a mod over the winter in mine based on info. and trials of others on this site. You have come to the right place to get your questions answered. I know you want to buy new but there are great deals on slightly used out there.

Last edited:

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi @jvegas. My 2015 AR240 is the first jet boat that I've owned. My previous experience was with i/o drives and outboards. There's no doubt that my AR240 doesn't steer like an i/o or outboard, even with the keel/rudder feature that was added in 2015, BUT I have no problem controlling/maneuvering the boat. It took about 15 hrs to get the hang of it, and there's still room for improvement in terms of taking advantage of unique maneuvers that can be done with the twin engines. Although I expect that adding fins would help, I personally have no need for them, especially considering the additional pressure that they will apply to the steering cables, which may or may not be negligible in the long run. My view is that if it works for me, then don't mess with it.

luckie_529

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a new ar240 this year and have been very happy with it. I put 110 hrs on this year with my family. We have taken it the Lake of Ozarks 3 times and it handled the rough water there. Very amazed with the ride and overall functions of the boat.

I am concerned about taking it into grassy or lily pad areas. My area does not have any but my friends area does so we have not taken the boat there yet.

Corba fins have helped tighten up the steering. I also want trim tabs for the rough water on the Great Lakes, Ocean, and LOTO.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put 110 hrs on this year with my family. .
I so jealous of you 100+ hour a year guys! I need a new job lol. Makes my measly 20 hours a year combined between skis and boats look pathetic.

Mike & Lilly

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I had a 21 foot Four Winns I/O for 18 years. I loved that boat. Sold it and bought a new 242 Limited SE in May. I have not looked back, and never regretted the move one bit. There is no comparison. Ride is great, speed is awesome, fuel burn is reasonable, and shallow draft is great for piece of mind. As for maintenance.....compared to the I/O with transmission, u-joints, multiple gears to change direction, maintenance is almost nothing. I looked at Chaps, Scarabs, and Yamaha. All great boats, but I went with Yamaha for bang for the buck, and their experience and reputation with jet boats. Welcome to the forum, and good luck on your search. Plenty of expertise, opinions, and knowlege on here!
Hello I'm considering the SE my self can u pls give me some feed back on the huge Bimini top I'm concerned just because its always open don't know if the wife and I would like having it open all the time, thank you.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hello I'm considering the SE my self can u pls give me some feed back on the huge Bimini top I'm concerned just because its always open don't know if the wife and I would like having it open all the time, thank you.
We're in VA and the max shade is a premium here. I would expect that you could sell seats in the shade in FL.

It is a personal taste thing but for us, we can always get in the sun (bow or swim platform) but mostly hang out in the helm area enjoying the shade for ourselves and for our food/drink-

luckie_529

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like to have the option of having the Bimini or not to have it. The whole cage thing turned me off on the x models. The lager size would be nice but is not necessary for me.