• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Reverse bucket help

Thatfocusst

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So we have a 2000 tracker with a 175 mercury jet and today I was out going idle went to put the boat in reverse and all of the sudden it became easy to put in reverse but when I did that it was still going forward something happened with the cable so I got home and put the boat in reverse on the trailer not happens when I force the bucket down with my hands it moves the throttle and I can use the throttle to put the bucket up but not down what would that be? If the cable was snapped it would move at all I’m kinda stumped I checked behind the throttle and the cable is still bolted down so it’s not slipping behind the throttle

actually if the inside cable broke you would be able to put the bucket down but not up so I have no idea

Cable is not completely broken. Works under tension but not compression.

I think it is an issue with the reverse bucket or the controls but probably the reverse bucket release

Still means a new cable for you, though, I believe...

When I take the cable off the bucket and I hold it with my finger and someone puts it in reverse I can feel the cable moving on the inside of the sheath or whatever you call if

When I take the cable off the bucket and I hold it with my finger and someone puts it in reverse I can feel the cable moving on the inside of the sheath or whatever you call if
And then when someone puts it in forward and I hold it it goes in just fine

check the reverse bucket release if it is not releasing the bucket it won't go down If I recall correctly it is a small lever that locks the bucket in the up position to help prevent a bucket from drooping when the boat is in forward.

check the reverse bucket release if it is not releasing the bucket it won't go down If I recall correctly it is a small lever that locks the bucket in the up position to help prevent a bucket from drooping when the boat is in forward.
It’s a fully mechanic boat because it’s so old it’s just a simple up and down with the cable no lockout or anything the bucket control is connected to the throttle so when you go in reverse the bucket goes in reverse and Same with forward

The exterior sheath might be busted at a turn. Cable exits the containment instead of pushing the gate when "pushed" back. Only a theory, but a new cable will fix it.

The exterior sheath might be busted at a turn. Cable exits the containment instead of pushing the gate when "pushed" back. Only a theory, but a new cable will fix it.
Wow that is actually a really good theory I did see the sheath has a couple cuts in it so I think you’re right I will inspect when I get home! I forgot to mention someone did run into the back of the boat in traffic messed his car up so I’m guessing it messed up the shift cable

Back