• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Reverse bucket linkage rubber seal

TuckerE36

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
2021 195S with 50 hours. Rubber seal on the reverse bucket linkage is already dry rotted. Read a few threads with folks with similar problems but didn’t ever find a part number. I also noticed water coming out of the little plastic bushing of the steering linkage when you move the nozzle left to right. Trying to keep water out so the cable doesn’t seize so I lubricated the linkage.IMG_5103.jpegIMG_5102.jpeg

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Welcome to an inherently bad design, but the only workable design for a jet pump below the waterline. I have had the 195 steering cable seizure issue at 15hrs. As for the rubber boot, I have heard a couple good recommendations on using toilet ring wax to fill the cable sheath to prevent water from going in. IMO, I think it’s a great idea, just make sure you oil the cable well prior to filling the seal with wax. Hard to push something in, when you are trying to prevent something from entering.. keep us posted. BTW, your steering cable ID number is SSC16015, the rubber seal-boots come the cable manufacture Domitec, formally Sea Star Solutions.
image.jpg

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
mine were toast in a couple of years as well. I had a tough time finding them so I used silicone tubing. One piece of 3/8ID and another that I believe was 5/16 ID, along with 2 stainless hose clamps. Slip them together, pack it with grease and slide it up the cable guide, secure with clamps. It has worked better than the OEM rubber boots, but it is a little bit of pain when comes time to lube the cables.

TuckerE36

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Welcome to an inherently bad design, but the only workable design for a jet pump below the waterline. I have had the 195 steering cable seizure issue at 15hrs. As for the rubber boot, I have heard a couple good recommendations on using toilet ring wax to fill the cable sheath to prevent water from going in. IMO, I think it’s a great idea, just make sure you oil the cable well prior to filling the seal with wax. Hard to push something in, when you are trying to prevent something from entering.. keep us posted. BTW, your steering cable ID number is SSC16015, the rubber seal-boots come the cable manufacture Domitec, formally Sea Star Solutions.
Thank you for the part number! I'll save it to my excel maintenance spread sheet. I'm trying to do some digging for the rubber boot, I found the two rubber boot fittings (Teleflex Seastar) for the steering linkage but not the linkage for the reverse bucket yet.

TuckerE36

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
mine were toast in a couple of years as well. I had a tough time finding them so I used silicone tubing. One piece of 3/8ID and another that I believe was 5/16 ID, along with 2 stainless hose clamps. Slip them together, pack it with grease and slide it up the cable guide, secure with clamps. It has worked better than the OEM rubber boots, but it is a little bit of pain when comes time to lube the cables.
Do you happen to have a photo after your silicone tubing was installed?

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Not the best pic in the world, but you get the idea. What was a stop-gap measure, tuned into a permanent solution so far. Please excuse all the bosheild t9 residue all over the running gear/hull.

Attachments

TuckerE36

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Not the best pic in the world, but you get the idea. What was a stop-gap measure, tuned into a permanent solution so far. Please excuse all the bosheild t9 residue all over the running gear/hull.
Oh I see. If by the end of this boating season I can't find the rubber boot I'll most likely do as you did. Might use the wax trick to get through the summer.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you can find the boot by itself please post the PN#.

TuckerE36

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
If you can find the boot by itself please post the PN#.
Will do, I searched for a few hours so far and found similar rubber boots but not the exact one.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine were tore up after about a year or two also. My understanding is that you cannot replace just the rubber boot, need to replace the whole cable, which is crazy. My dealer is replacing the cables under warranty but have been waiting for about a year for the cables to be delivered, with no estimated date yet.

TuckerE36

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Mine were tore up after about a year or two also. My understanding is that you cannot replace just the rubber boot, need to replace the whole cable, which is crazy. My dealer is replacing the cables under warranty but have been waiting for about a year for the cables to be delivered, with no estimated date yet.
That’s starting to make sense why I’m unable to source one. Do you have the part number for the cable by chance?

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That’s starting to make sense why I’m unable to source one. Do you have the part number for the cable by chance?
I do not.....my dealer ordered it and assuming it may be slightly different for your boat than mine but not sure.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do not.....my dealer ordered it and assuming it may be slightly different for your boat than mine but not sure.
I'm assuming even after they replace my cables, the boots are not going to last long....I'm liking the silicone tubing idea above for a permament fix.

TuckerE36

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I'm assuming even after they replace my cables, the boots are not going to last long....I'm liking the silicone tubing idea above for a permament fix.
I agree, the rubber boot wasn’t there on the 192 models I wonder why they changed it on the 195, I suppose the just did when they updated hull.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I spray all those cables with YamaLube after each outing and trying to move them around to work it in. No issues yet...

TuckerE36

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I spray all those cables with YamaLube after each outing and trying to move them around to work it in. No issues yet...
Now that I’ve noticed it, I do the same after each outing

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Just noticed a similar problem on my 2021 195S. The rod/cable looks to be worn on the underside as well. Does anyone else have this issue or know what it could be?

Attachments

TuckerE36

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Just noticed a similar problem on my 2021 195S. The rod/cable looks to be worn on the underside as well. Does anyone else have this issue or know what it could be?
I haven’t been able to find a replacement cable. For the time being I just lubricate the cable, as well as the steering linkage, after each use.

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I haven’t been able to find a replacement cable. For the time being I just lubricate the cable, as well as the steering linkage, after each use.
I noticed there is more than one type of Yamalube. I just ordered the one that says Maintenance: Silicone Protectant & Lubricant.

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I was just told by the dealer that Yamaha considers cables to be wearable items are therefore not covered under the YES warranty.