• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Reverse Gate Emergency Repair - Trip Saver

paradox782

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Recently, I replaced a reverse cable on my starboard drive. I went a local sandbar without a problem. The boat was never beached or struck bottom. As it was getting dark, I pulled anchor and tried to get underway. I found I could not turn to port an d that I had a strange rooster tail coming from my starboard drive. The cable had broken, (in less than a month and with 3 only 3 trips) and the reverse gate was down . Faced with twenty miles of idle, I shutdown the starboard engine and attempted to accelerate past idle. I immediately found out that it wasn't going to work. After about 1000 ft. of idle, I had enough. I limped back to the sandbar to see I could make an emergency repair. I was able to make the repair with the most unlikely item. A SOLO cup. I folder the cup over repeatedly and wedged it between the reverse gate and the deflector nozzle. Just wedged, not secured in any other way ... It worked !!!! I had normal throttle control the rest of the trip. I even stopped along the way to tow a stranded boater. I just shutdown my starboard engine to dock both boats.

Once home, I found that the cable had broken about 4 inches back from the reverse gate, where the braided cable is connected to the threaded rod. My Yamaha dealer was great. I bought a replacement cable to get back in the water and in a week they processed the claim. I got a full refund.

I wanted to find a more a better solution than a SOLO cup in case it happened again.

This is what I come up with:

I found a bungee tarp tie down from Home Depot. I pushed it through the slot in the reverse gate. I tied a knot in it to adjust the length and slipped it around the anode. (yeah the anode needs replacing) It keeps the gate open and allows for full steering.

I hope no one has to use this but it beats hours at idle.

IMG_6614.JPG IMG_6615.JPG IMG_6616.JPG IMG_6617.JPG

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
A little ingenuity goes a long way.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good job getting the family home.

I had this happen a few years ago. Cut about 2" off a noodle. Will look like a donut. And wedge it in. Just like you did with a solo cup.

Frustrating part for me was I had to fight with yamaha to get it covered under warranty. Eventually the fixed it under warranty.

There is post about with pictures.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Recently, I replaced a reverse cable on my starboard drive. I went a local sandbar without a problem. The boat was never beached or struck bottom. As it was getting dark, I pulled anchor and tried to get underway. I found I could not turn to port an d that I had a strange rooster tail coming from my starboard drive. The cable had broken, (in less than a month and with 3 only 3 trips) and the reverse gate was down . Faced with twenty miles of idle, I shutdown the starboard engine and attempted to accelerate past idle. I immediately found out that it wasn't going to work. After about 1000 ft. of idle, I had enough. I limped back to the sandbar to see I could make an emergency repair. I was able to make the repair with the most unlikely item. A SOLO cup. I folder the cup over repeatedly and wedged it between the reverse gate and the deflector nozzle. Just wedged, not secured in any other way ... It worked !!!! I had normal throttle control the rest of the trip. I even stopped along the way to tow a stranded boater. I just shutdown my starboard engine to dock both boats.

Once home, I found that the cable had broken about 4 inches back from the reverse gate, where the braided cable is connected to the threaded rod. My Yamaha dealer was great. I bought a replacement cable to get back in the water and in a week they processed the claim. I got a full refund.

I wanted to find a more a better solution than a SOLO cup in case it happened again.

This is what I come up with:

I found a bungee tarp tie down from Home Depot. I pushed it through the slot in the reverse gate. I tied a knot in it to adjust the length and slipped it around the anode. (yeah the anode needs replacing) It keeps the gate open and allows for full steering.

I hope no one has to use this but it beats hours at idle.

View attachment 47530 View attachment 47533 View attachment 47531 View attachment 47532
Nice solo recovery!