• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Right rear tire frozen on trailer

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I went to pull my boat today and found that my right rear tire on my 2011 Shorelander Profile 2000 trailer was frozen and did not rotate. The other three tires worked fine. I pulled the tire and yes things were rusted so I sprayed with lubricant and it things with a hammer. I am now putting the tire back on in the hopes i can brake it loose. However any suggestions on a quick fix would be greatly appreciated.
thanks[flag]

Wr3ckdiver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So the bearings are frozen or are your brakes locked up? If brakes you probably have a broken spring or something keeping them engaged. If its the bearings I would be cautious as you need to take the hub apart and replace the wheel bearings and grease seals. If one is frozen I am sure the rest need to be done as well. Not really a quick fix but that is what will have to be done....

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for your response. After a little pounding on the wheel and driving forward and backwards I was able to brake it loose. Now all four tires are working fine however I will wait away or two before I pull the boat to make sure it does not freeze up again[flag]

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Double check your emergency brake cable on your trailer make sure it wasn't accidentally pulled some how. I would probably hit the brake release switch under the tounge to be sure but that should have locked two tires up. I agree with @Wr3ckdiver sounds like a bearing or locked brake I would trailer with caution till you can asses what the problem is last thing you want is a total bearing failure while driving down the highway it's not fun.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Likely the brake, given your use in salt water. I had a similar situation and had to use my hammer skills to break it free.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
now that you've broken it loose, I would try to jack up that wheel/tire combo and give it a spin...depending on where the noise is coming from, you may be able to determine if it's outside (as in from the brakes) or more to the center (to indicate bearings).

If you determine that the emergency cable wasn't pulled, regardless, this needs deeper inspection as either a sticky brake or bad bearing will cause bad bearings. Also, as someone noted above, if one is sticky...it's likely there are more...

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd bet that you have a sticky brake caliper. Pay very close attention next time you tow. I use a infrared heat sensor and check my hub temps often while towing. Usually the braking axle is at least 10 degrees hotter than the non braking axle. But what's important is that the hubs are close to even on each axle. A sticky caliper will cause the grease to boil and flow out the bearing buddy, could cause a brake fire and will ruin a trip to the lake.

Btw: if this does happen, you can pry the brake pads away from the rotor to unstick the caliper. But in order to prevent it from sticking again you'll need to have a lockout tab to install (and tape in place) so that the brakes are permanently locked out until the caliper is replaced.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I use an infrared thermometer to check axle temps. I’ve also noticed when towing on a hot day I’d one side of the boat is in the sun and the other in the shade, the sunny side will be hotter as well. In this instance I pay attention tot he difference in heat temp between axles.