• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rod holder replacement. You won't believe the hidden junk.

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I posted a previous thread referring to cheap plastic rod holder liners. I should not have referred to them as liners as it IS the rodholder. I use them to hold my gimbal mounted downriggers and one snapped off inside the hull. Couldnt believe what I saw when I pulled out the old rodholder. It consisted of a cheap plastic tube with a molded plastic pin at the bottom and a plastic head with a thin metal cap crimped onto it. Even to hold bass rods these would break with any leverage applied. I bought two new stainless steel ones for $30 Canadian each, that's like $2 US (not quite but seems like that). When I removed the second rodholder it was also 3/4 cracked and would not have lasted one more trip. Even the rubber grip liners inside the plastic were only 3" deep, unlike the ones in the stainless replacements which were full length. The stainless ones also have a 1/8 inch rubber gasket where the cap rests on the gelcoat. The originals had none. Was an easy removal and reinstall so I suggest you do it. Dont let this hidden OEM garbage ruin your trip. The pictures speak for themselves and there can be no denying the difference. First pics shows down-rigger on gimbal ( uninstalled and installed and last pic shows new rodholder installed. IMG_1741.JPG IMG_1743.JPG IMG_1725.JPGIMG_1726.JPG IMG_1726.JPG IMG_1737.JPG IMG_1734.JPG IMG_1736.JPG IMG_1738.JPG ATTACH] IMG_1737.JPGIMG_1734.JPG IMG_1736.JPGIMG_1738.JPG

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
#Yamaha, you can get stainless rod holders for $10. I have never understood the plastic cup holders that fly out, but plastic rod holders is too much.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
#Yamaha, you can get stainless rod holders for $10. I have never understood the plastic cup holders that fly out, but plastic rod holders is too much.
I agree, looks like something else I will be replacing.

Anyone know the degree holders in the 4 locations?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stock: Zero degree for the 2 on the stern. The 2 in the gunwale are either 15 or 30 degree...can't recall.

Also, it depends on what you plan to do with them. Just hold rods? Troll? etc.

I would do 15 or 30 on the stern and 15 or 30 on the gunwales
I asked because I have 4 SS rod holders left over in my garage from past boat projects.. I think they are 15 degree..

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You wont run into any major issue changing degree of angle on the mounts...the PIA factor will be drilling new holes for the screws and sealing the old holes if they don't align.
Im good with drilling holes in boats.. pretty sure I drilled about 20 in my FSH over the weekend.. 5200 seals up any leftover holes.

j_shoe99

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I use them to hold my gimbal mounted downriggers
Kahuna,
Do you have any other rod holders mounted for fishing? I'm in the process of rigging my boat for trolling, and am looking to see what others have done.

thanks,
Jesse

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Kahuna,
Do you have any other rod holders mounted for fishing? I'm in the process of rigging my boat for trolling, and am looking to see what others have done.

thanks,
Jesse
None mounted but ordering a couple of screw on stainless holders to mount on the front deck grab handles. Just somewhere for guy casting from the front deck to set a rod while changing lures etc.
in reply to the other post the port and starboard holders are 30 degrees.

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Should have shown this pic as well. Here is the professionally cut hole which the original rodholder was inserted into. Must have been a Monday on the production line or a Friday before a long weekend. Makes it hard to install anything over it when the screwholes are so close to the large hole. Obviously the original screwholes and the replacement screwholes dont line up perfectly but managed to make it work. IMG_1730.JPG

Atlas135

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looks like they used a spoon to cut that!

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Does anybody know if the Attwood stainless steel rod holder screw holes line up to the same pattern as the originals?
The stainless Attwoods are $51. If anybody knows of some for $10 let me know.

j_shoe99

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@jetfisher those are sweet rod holders indeed.

I cheaped out and went with the Big Jon Triple Rod Holders last week. They worked pretty well for trolling!

I still need to upgrade my stock flush mounts though, if I ever plan to troll with them

Attachments

jetfisher

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@j_shoe99 the big jons are work horses. I had them on a previous boat and use them on friends boats. I had the ciscos from my whaler and brought them to the fsh. Those look good on your boat and will work great. You guys banging kings yet?

j_shoe99

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@j_shoe99 You guys banging kings yet?
I've heard the Big Jons should be tough.

Im actually in the process of getting it dialed for Fall Musky fishing on the bay of Green Bay. So far, the fish of 10,000 casts has eluded me. ;)

I might switch over to trolling for brown trout on Lake Michigan come Spring.

Loveair

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
PWC
Should have shown this pic as well. Here is the professionally cut hole which the original rodholder was inserted into. Must have been a Monday on the production line or a Friday before a long weekend. Makes it hard to install anything over it when the screwholes are so close to the large hole. Obviously the original screwholes and the replacement screwholes dont line up perfectly but managed to make it work. View attachment 61874
That is crap QC!