• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rope/line caught in Scarab BRP/Rotax impeller intake

Ragu85

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Looking for help - stray line got sucked into grate (under boat) and is wrapped around "axle"/shaft right in front of impeller; thought I'd be able to remove grate, which appears to be attached by 2 screws20210718_181934.jpg and 2 bolts, but they just spin. Any thoughts or suggestions?

do NOT remove the intake grate. instead, remove the jet pump from the back of the boat to get access to the drive shaft. easy 20 minute job. lookup seadoo pump removal on youtube, you'll find plenty of helpful videos.

do NOT remove the intake grate. instead, remove the jet pump from the back of the boat to get access to the drive shaft. easy 20 minute job. lookup seadoo pump removal on youtube, you'll find plenty of helpful videos.
Thanks, sounds kinda complicated, but I'll give it a try.

Did scarab not use a shaft tube to prevent things from being wrapped around the shaft?

Thanks, sounds kinda complicated, but I'll give it a try.
it's actually quite simple and very straight forward. 4 bolts hold the reverse gate, another 4 bolts to remove the nozzle and pump/impeller. took me about 30 minutes the first time i did it, now takes about 10 minutes. you may have a little more work to do if you have the INR system, i think. the reason i advised against removing the grate, is the bolts are attached to nuts on the inside of the hull and near impossible to get to. It is also sealed and would have to be resealed with marine sealant if removed.

it's actually quite simple and very straight forward. 4 bolts hold the reverse gate, another 4 bolts to remove the nozzle and pump/impeller. took me about 30 minutes the first time i did it, now takes about 10 minutes. you may have a little more work to do if you have the INR system, i think. the reason i advised against removing the grate, is the bolts are attached to nuts on the inside of the hull and near impossible to get to. It is also sealed and would have to be resealed with marine sealant if removed.
Ok, thanks again. The INR is what concerned me and the youtube videos didn't seem as straightforward. As for the gate, I wondered where the nuts were, as I couldn't see any logical access or even location for them - not a great design!

Did scarab not use a shaft tube to prevent things from being wrapped around the shaft?
I thought so too. Maybe that's why the rope isn't around the shaft by the intake (which you normally see on Yamaha's) and only wrapped around right behind the impeller. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the shaft tube was a BRP thing anyway, your pic had not loaded when I made my original reply, I believe I see it in the pic now, appears to be the fitting with sealer around it fastened to the hull.

Edit, yes the part I see is the Shaft Guard.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I think the shaft tube was a BRP thing anyway, your pic had not loaded when I made my original reply, I believe I see it in the pic now, appears to be the fitting with sealer around it fastened to the hull.

Edit, yes the part I see is the Shaft Guard.

View attachment 158370
Yes, that's it - thanks.

we did remove the grate and didn’t put the sealer back on would it be possible for water to get into this and into the engine compartment? We had it left overnight in a marina and a good amount of water got into the engine compartment.

we did remove the grate and didn’t put the sealer back on would it be possible for water to get into this and into the engine compartment? We had it left overnight in a marina and a good amount of water got into the engine compartment.

can you advise where you found the nuts? I can’t find them to save my life. Started to remove the pump as suggested, but everything is locked down tight and I don’t have all my tools here at the lake. Thanks!

Back