• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rotax 4Tec 200 overheating

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
For your information. 50/50 ethylene glycol mix for your coolant. XPS has green for 2 years and orange for 5 years now. Probably have the 5 year stuff in yours. But don't mix them. if your doubtful... doing a coolant change is a very simple procedure.

1659374090498.png

MD23679

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
I have the same issue with my 2016 Scarab 165 Ghost. To be frank, I didn't even realize the boat was overheating, I just thought it was using too much coolant, as I have to top up the coolant reservoir almost every time we go out. But there have been no warning alerts on the dash about overheating, and no error codes that I can see. However, on Sunday we had the boat out and we had 4 people and some added ballast in the back with a wake shaper on the side and my son was doing wake surfing when the boat just died from overheating. It wouldn't start again. We let it sit for 30 minutes and it started up again and we gingerly headed back to shore. We were completely out of coolant after filling it up on Friday. I may have the same issue as I am using the orange coolant that is recommended in the manual, however, the original coolant could have been green. I don't know as the coolant tank was empty when I got it. HI could flush the coolant, as recommended above, however, as I'm losing coolant, I'm assuming there must be some issue with the coolant system itself as it is supposed to be closed loop. My buddy has a different boat with the same engine (except his has the supercharger) and he says he has never had to add coolant, There is no real Scarab dealer in town, so no way for me to get the coolant system pressure tested. Does anyone know any other way to try and find out why I may be losing coolant and why the boat is overheating? Also, if anyone has any additional info on some of the points brought up in this thread above I would appreciate it. How do I check if the ride plate is warm? Where is this cap that the guy said he tightened, which fixed his issue? Where is the water pump located and how would I replace this? Apologies for the noobie questions, but just getting started in the Scarab world and on this forum so any and all advice appreciated.
I'd go with what Luc said .

I had my port engine go up till 230F and things didn't go well , but had it fixed and all is good because the parts are available (Thank God) .
The cause ? Engine valve failure . I always took care of the boat and NEVER run it more than 30 seconds OWT when I am done for the day.

PHOTO-2022-06-25-08-58-56 2.jpg
PHOTO-2022-06-25-08-58-58 2.jpgPHOTO-2022-06-25-08-58-57.jpg

Ekun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Luc, thanks for the helpful advice. No coolant in the bilge that I can see, however when I unscrew the plugs to let the water out that is in the bilge from being out on the water, there is a definite sheen to it, similar to what you would get with gasoline. Not sure if that is coolant or not. I have usually only checked for coolant in the bilge when the boat is on the trailer. I have not looked into the engine at high RPMs to see if the additional pressure is causing a leak. I will do that next time I'm out. I have checked all the coolant hoses and connections I can find, and they all seem ok, but maybe actually running the engine causes the leak.

Also, I checked the ride plate (or heat exchanger) and it is not painted. Also, the drain plug is quite snug. No issues there.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Let us know once you can confirm you don't have any leaks inside the bilge. A sheen is common. Oil residue from past work or even winterizing involves spraying an oil over many parts of the engine. So that's probably not it. Your coolant assuming it's not mixed with water from going into your bilge should be the same colour as what's in the reservoir. I recommend you make sure your bilge is completely empty before running it on the water. Use a shop vac to get it really dry and be careful not to get any other water in the boat so that it makes the coolant more obvious.

Ekun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Luc,

Thanks, will do. Plan to have it out this weekend, so will report back then.

Cheers,

Ian

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
If you're not seeing it in the bilge, my guess would be the ride plates. I would check them carefully for cracks or any sign of damage. maybe the screw plug is leaking but I would think you would see that. Doing a pressure test would also confirm the plates or not. IMO it's leaking to the outside of the boat.