• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

rotax info

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Was going to put this in the Seadoo section but thought I might have better luck here. My daughter wants me to take a look at a boat for her thursday. It's a little 2006 Seadoo 15 ft sportster with a 155 4-tec. Jet boats I know, Mercs in paticular,but I know little about the Rotax. Any things I should look for specific to the 4-tec or any thoughts on this model? Thanks
Bill

The 155 is not supercharged so it won't require the rebuild every year which was required for those years. Should be a decent engine if maintenance was done.
worst case get a good price and you cover yourself if something is wrong.

I have owned several 155 4 tec engines, depending on the price and hours those little jet boats are fun.
I personally had a lot of issues with the angle bearing style jet pumps sea doo uses on those plus frequent motor mount issues, exhaust bellows failures and some electrical issues. But I ride the hell out of things and I did spend some time jumping hurricane waves with the one in the video it had the 155hp 4 tec in it,
I did get about 500 hours on that engines though I always carried spare jet pump and would change them out right on the ramp in 15 min. Come to think of it I still have one of the indestructible BRASS veined pumps, the newer ones are plastic and the veins in the pumps are usually broken.

I don't think you have much to worry about since it's a non supercharged 4 stroke engine. However, I will state this, which is general advice for anyone thinking about buying a used jet boat or Pwc. Test drive or ride it before you close the deal. Just because it starts on the trailer or the compression test, if any, checks out doesn't mean it will run well in the water. Sometimes just the resistance of the water will keep a bad engine from starting. The only way, imho, to verify that there is no cavitation is to drive it. Identifying the cause of cavitation can be a problem, fixing it even moreso. The boat should accelerate quickly off the line or when passing. Check that it doesn't cavitate when you move quickly from idle to wot. Id try to conduct a compression test as well. Go to boattest.com to get the performance specs before you inspect the boat, even used it should still perform about the same.

I drive by that dealer all the time on my way out to the big river. I hope it works out, those little boats can be tons of fun, especially if she brings it out on the Wisconsin with you. Seems like the perfect size for that stretch of river.

What year ? My last boat was a 03 and they had lots of problems w the sensors on the 155 ... Other then that solid boat ! I replaced the wear ring and gaskets and cleaned up the impeller ...

I think I still have the paper work from the dealer that fixed mine before I bought it ... I can look at see what sensors if you want ?? Also I have a cheap trick to winterized the exhaust if you live in a cold state ..?

Last edited:
I drive by that dealer all the time on my way out to the big river. I hope it works out, those little boats can be tons of fun, especially if she brings it out on the Wisconsin with you. Seems like the perfect size for that stretch of river.
She grew up camping on the Wisconsin with me. She still enjoys it and splits time on the Mississippi,more than likely logs more hrs. then I do. She has Challenger 2000 but it is the most used up boat I've seen in awhile,son in law used the hell out of it
and I don't feel comfortable about her using it by her self since he passed a couple of months ago.

What year ? My last boat was a 03 and they had lots of problems w the sensors on the 155 ... Other then that solid boat ! I replaced the wear ring and gaskets and cleaned up the impeller ...

I think I still have the paper work from the dealer that fixed mine before I bought it ... I can look at see what sensors if you want ?? Also I have a cheap trick to winterized the exhaust if you live in a cold state ..?
If it works out I my take you up on the winterizing trick it gets too damn cold here in northern Il

If it works out I my take you up on the winterizing trick it gets too damn cold here in northern Il
Hah u don't have to tell me I'm in northern IL too (50 min from Wisconsin ) lol , sounds good let me know !

Well, grandson and I went to see the boat today. Craigslist pics looked to good to be current but if anything this thing is cleaner than the pics. Cleanest 9 yr old boat I've seen in awhile, you could eat from the bilge, absolutely spotless. Couldn't water test,this is a landlocked dealer[ kinda stupid setup] but it ran excellently on hose as it should with only 156 hrs. Not a mark of any sort on the bottom or keel ,pump looks like new.Only flaws I could find were a couple of dime size chips above the rub rail that weren't repaired very well and the gas support cylinder on front hatch is bad and a small amount of dock rash in one spot of the graphics. They were asking 8000 I offered 7500 and they didn't hesitate, shit, if I had expected that I would have gone 7. NADA average ,for what it's worth, looks to be 8300. Also doing an oil change maybe a new battery. I think this should work well for her, I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin:D myself

Bill

Well, grandson and I went to see the boat today. Craigslist pics looked to good to be current but if anything this thing is cleaner than the pics. Cleanest 9 yr old boat I've seen in awhile, you could eat from the bilge, absolutely spotless. Couldn't water test,this is a landlocked dealer[ kinda stupid setup] but it ran excellently on hose as it should with only 156 hrs. Not a mark of any sort on the bottom or keel ,pump looks like new.Only flaws I could find were a couple of dime size chips above the rub rail that weren't repaired very well and the gas support cylinder on front hatch is bad and a small amount of dock rash in one spot of the graphics. They were asking 8000 I offered 7500 and they didn't hesitate, shit, if I had expected that I would have gone 7. NADA average ,for what it's worth, looks to be 8300. Also doing an oil change maybe a new battery. I think this should work well for her, I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin:D myself

Bill
The shocks on my rear hatch were weak also , make sure the latch/ pull handle is lubed . It helped on mine . Also the dash storage compartment has a adjustable shock that's threaded . CONGRATS ON THE NEW BOAT!

The shocks on my rear hatch were weak also , make sure the latch/ pull handle is lubed . It helped on mine . Also the dash storage compartment has a adjustable shock that's threaded . CONGRATS ON THE NEW BOAT!
Thanks, my daughters boat but I suspect I'll inherit the wrench duty. Good too know the dash storage strut will adjust, thats the one I meant, didn't look that closely at it.

Bill

Thanks, my daughters boat but I suspect I'll inherit the wrench duty. Good too know the dash storage strut will adjust, thats the one I meant, didn't look that closely at it.

Bill
Lol no problem with that :) pull back the rubber boot and it threads in and out to adjust tension .

Pics @Bilmon . We demand pics!

That's awesome. Congrats on a successful ending to your/her boat search.

Have always wanted one of those. Let us know how fun it is!

She just left with my truck to pick it up,it's two hrs away so I,ll snap a couple of pics when they get back. She is hoping to get it on the Mississippi this afternoon, thats alot of driving it's another hr the opposite direction and the weather ain't the best but with a new old toy you gotta go

Bill

Back