• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rotax

dr.marty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2018 Scarab with twin Rotax 150's they run about 600 rpm's apart, the dealer has computer synced them twice and nothing has changed. The dealer said they can't find anything wrong. Has anyone had this issue?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Is it even all thru from idle to WOT? I assume the sync button is highlighted?

Mine is off about 400 at idle but then balances out when on plane.

dr.marty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sync light is on. Under 2k rpm and at full throttle around 7k rpm the engine show to be running at the same rpm's

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
My guess would be the PPS, sensors located in the helm, need to be tweaked to make their output closer.
That's probably where your issue is coming from.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
My guess would be the PPS, sensors located in the helm, need to be tweaked to make their output closer.
That's probably where your issue is coming from.
Would you be able to take a picture of this sensor?

dr.marty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for responding, I'm not sure what PPS sensor is. What does PPS stand for?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks for responding, I'm not sure what PPS sensor is. What does PPS stand for?
I believe @JetTech72 is referring to TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). PPS stands for Pedal Position Sensor.

However, I'm not sure how to adjust/tweak the sensor. If I think of it, when I go home tonight, I'll look and see what's there.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Dean P I was really referring to the PPS, since each engine operate on his own PPS a slight variation between both would create a difference in engine RPM along the loadline. AT WOT they would be both at 100%. There is not adjustment that can be done with the TPS as the system is fly by wire, thus the TPS is controlled via the ECU.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@Dean P I was really referring to the PPS, since each engine operate on his own PPS a slight variation between both would create a difference in engine RPM along the loadline. AT WOT they would be both at 100%. There is not adjustment that can be done with the TPS as the system is fly by wire, thus the TPS is controlled via the ECU.
Thanks for the update! Just curious what does PPS stand for?

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Dean P you had it correct my friend. PPS is the Pedal Position Sensor (The throttle controller for boat or acceleration pedal in a car) . It's the potentiometer telling the ECU "I want to go". The TPS (Throttle position sensor) is the throttle body opening which is driven by the ECU in a "fly by wire" operation. No more direct mechanical link between the pedal & throttle body.

In this case I think the signal from each potentiometer (PPS) are slightly out of synch.

dr.marty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you all for your response to my Scarab boat issue. This forum is great. Now should I just replace both PPS or just one and would a dealer have to reprogram/relearn, or flash the ECU after replacement of the PPS? The dealer that works on my boat has not been very helpful.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
There is no reprogramming to be done. The thing is that both PPS need to have there output lining up. Either you replace 1 or both trying to find a good match. or you tweak the bracket or play with the PPS installation. It's easier to do it when BUDS diagnostic tool is connected as you can see the PPS output of both at the same time & tweak the bracket accordingly.

dr.marty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks JetTech72 for all your help I am going to replace both and will let everyone know the out come

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks JetTech72 for all your help I am going to replace both and will let everyone know the out come
Do you have part numbers? May help other with same issues.

dr.marty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't have the part number if you can supply me with the PPS number would be great. I wish you were in Tennessee so I could just hire you to install them. Thanks again

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
epc.brp.com

JPS : 460304 & 460305
BRP : 277001726 & 277001727

dr.marty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
JetTech72 you are amazing I thank you for helping me out with my rotax throttle issue. Just wondering why the first two part numbers 460304 & 460305? I can't match them to anything parts related.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
JetTech72 you are amazing I thank you for helping me out with my rotax throttle issue. Just wondering why the first two part numbers 460304 & 460305? I can't match them to anything parts related.
FYI... @dr.marty To call a person out you need to add the "@" first so they will be notified or you can click the reply button to notify them.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The 46xxxx # are the Rotax powerpack numbers while the 277xxxxxx # is the BRP Sea-Doo number.
But they are exactly the same parts.

John P Jones

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Last year was a tough year for debris in the water. Had small sticks jammed in the jet pump a couple of times. Had to take the boat out of the water, pull the nozzle assemblies off and the pump/impeller out to dislodge the sticks. More like chunks of bark that were pretty tough.
Is there something additional I can put over the intakes to prevent stuff like this? Weeds are no problem. Those little sticks? Nasty stuff. Issue is to not impede the flow into the intake while keeping the debris out.
Second part is there a tool that can I reach up into the jet pump to dislodge sticks without needing to pull the boat out of the water and disassemble the pumps. This is a 2014 Scarab 215 HO.
I know Seadoos have that access port/plug in the backend where you can reach down in dislodge junk. Scarab doesn't have that.
Now I likely need to change the wear sleeves in the jet pumps this year.