• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Running engine w/no water?

TN888

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
According to my dealer, since I don't use the boat during winter I can/should start it for minute/two let idle without water? Opinions on this?

You can do so at idle.

But what I have started doing is pulling the lanyard and alternately cranking the engines for several ten second bursts. I believe that this will distribute the oil without starting the engines inside my garage with the negative side effect of reducing the number of years that my starters will last.

I believe the manual says not to let it go longer than 15 seconds without running on water. I am sure longer than 15 seconds will not hurt the engine whatsoever, but i would not run past 30 seconds personally... definitely NOT a minute or two

Starting an engine in winter and getting it only warm invites condensation and will do more harm than good. That's why short trip driving is bad for engines. Getting the oil warm is all you can do at idle. No matter how long you idle it, the oil won't get up to operating temp. Getting up to operating temp is what is required to burn off contaminates like water and fuel. It's the same situation for people who own motorcycles and have to park them for the winter. Winterize it and don't start it until you can get it out and run it. OR you are at least prepping it for getting out and running it.

Your dealer gave you very bad advice. Do your boat a favor, winterize it and don't run it again till spring.

@Big Shasta is 100% correct. Condensation builds up in the oil pan just as it does in the gas tank. By starting or cranking the engine you are distributing the moisture laden oil throughout the engine. ONLY if you operate the engine to normal operating temps will you burn the moisture out. If you correctly fog your engine as suggested by Yamaha you will coat your engines with a protective film of oil which will prevent damage and eliminate the need to run the engines during the off season.

I believe the manual says not to let it go longer than 15 seconds without running on water. I am sure longer than 15 seconds will not hurt the engine whatsoever, but i would not run past 30 seconds personally... definitely NOT a minute or two
X2 on this.

As others have said, never let the boat run for more than 15 seconds outside of the water or on the hose. That advice would make me question anything the dealer tells you. As has been proven over and over again, in most cases this forum has better advice than most dealers.

@TN888 , update your profile so we have an idea of your geographic area. Wintertime varies greatly and the answer will be all over the map accordingly. But as a general rule, I don't start my boat in winter unless I am doing something to it. Agree with the reasons and will add this one too...cycles are what hurt engines lifespan, not hours. The hardest thing on an engine is starting it, so doing so with minimal lubrication and then leaving it humid IMO and that of many others is certainly not good for it. And kicking it over for 10 seconds or so without running it won't circulate cold oil easily or effectively. The manual is my guide, 15 seconds is my limit without water, but I don't put a watch to it. There are always extenuating circumstances, but for the most part, there is no reason to start your boat all winter.

I want to remind everyone, and no offense to our dealer members out there, but dealers quite often don't pass along the best of information. That may be because they are mistaken, but it may also be because we don't understand what they are telling us. Jetboaters.net is the best source of information on the operation of your boat...hands down.

X2. My dealer tells me to take my props off for the winter.......Cam.

I get "props" most of the time I put my boat on the water. :p

Back