• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

salt water people

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
do these look normal? 80hrs salt water usage.

20230903_212414.jpg20230903_212435.jpg20230903_212441.jpg20230903_212513.jpg20230903_212556.jpg20230903_212600.jpg

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If that is your boat? How often do you treat the engine bay with an anti corrosive? If the hose clamps look that bad in the engine compartment, you’re going to want to look in the bilge below the access hatch and check the exhaust clamps, as well at the thru hull hoses. Has the boat ever taken on water?

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I’m saltwater at 50hrs and mine looks nothing like that, actually mine looks better than new. Looks like you could have an excessive amount of standing saltwater? I also fill my ski locker with water every other trip, pull the drain plug, and back fill the bilge with fresh hose water and run the bilge to ensure any saltwater is not standing in the pump. Good thing, clamps and bolts are cheap, bad thing, looks like you have water coming in from somewhere. I have found where my scupper is under the platform, any waves while anchored causes water to back fill into the boat and holds water. Maybe this is where it’s coming from?

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Do you spray Salt Away on everything after every outing? Are you using any anti-corrosion spray?

I'm going to be running in brackish and salt water and dry rack storing. I am keeping this small sprayer onboard with Salt Away to spray everything down after every outing.

Then I am going to be spraying all the metal surfaces (in the engine bays and inside the inspection ports) with T-9 after every outing.

I think if you do something like this routine it should keep saltwater corrosion at a minimum.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
If that is your boat? How often do you treat the engine bay with an anti corrosive? If the hose clamps look that bad in the engine compartment, you’re going to want to look in the bilge below the access hatch and check the exhaust clamps, as well at the thru hull hoses. Has the boat ever taken on water?
Actually exhaust clamp doesn't look that bad under the swim platform(although still little rusted)
I told the dealer about a "leak" and they blamed on my trim tabs...so I sealed them and it still lets water in. i believe one of the hose and or the clamp has gone bad and spraying water when under way from pressure because it didnt' seem to take on any water sitting at the dock and at idle.
I do have the yamaha extended warranty....but always they want to avoid on paying out so err..

I’m saltwater at 50hrs and mine looks nothing like that, actually mine looks better than new. Looks like you could have an excessive amount of standing saltwater? I also fill my ski locker with water every other trip, pull the drain plug, and back fill the bilge with fresh hose water and run the bilge to ensure any saltwater is not standing in the pump. Good thing, clamps and bolts are cheap, bad thing, looks like you have water coming in from somewhere. I have found where my scupper is under the platform, any waves while anchored causes water to back fill into the boat and holds water. Maybe this is where it’s coming from?
aint no telling... going back to the dealer so i can show them the issues. They denied my windshield corrosion at 10hrs (bought 2nd hand)

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Do you spray Salt Away on everything after every outing? Are you using any anti-corrosion spray?

I'm going to be running in brackish and salt water and dry rack storing. I am keeping this small sprayer onboard with Salt Away to spray everything down after every outing.

Then I am going to be spraying all the metal surfaces (in the engine bays and inside the inspection ports) with T-9 after every outing.

I think if you do something like this routine it should keep saltwater corrosion at a minimum.
thanks I put on anti corrosion spray one time but didn't keep up with it. once i get the dealer to replace everything (high hopes...) i'll need to start doing it

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would think your getting water in the boat somewhere if they look like that.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I would think your getting water in the boat somewhere if they look like that.
oh it definintely is... my bilge runs when i'm under way. I suspect one of the hoses and or clamp is compromised and leaking under pressure

steelhorse454

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As I've said before, you have to be frugal on your cleaning and lubrication after each trip out in salt water. Salt away, wash, flush, coat everything with lubricate after all that including the trailer. If you were not the original owner, then that is some serious neglect from whoever bought it new...

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
oh it definintely is... my bilge runs when i'm under way. I suspect one of the hoses and or clamp is compromised and leaking under pressure
that's one of those things that can take an engine out or even sink you,

if I suspected I had a cooling hose leaking I'd address that immediately,

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
that's one of those things that can take an engine out or even sink you,

if I suspected I had a cooling hose leaking I'd address that immediately,
going to a dealer in a month... hopefully they will replace all cooling hoses

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That engine has been submerged at some point and never cleaned off afterward. Not the end of the word but if you are keeping the boat, I would start wire brushing and painting the bolt heads and absolutely start replaced all hose clamps with stainless ones. There are lots of clamps under the swim platform for the exhaust and cleanout port.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
That engine has been submerged at some point and never cleaned off afterward. Not the end of the word but if you are keeping the boat, I would start wire brushing and painting the bolt heads and absolutely start replaced all hose clamps with stainless ones. There are lots of clamps under the swim platform for the exhaust and cleanout port.
wouldn't say submerged...because it hasn't been. I had it since 10hrs.

Like i said, it leaks(from somewhere) and bilge runs by itself from time to time...the water was definitely in the bilge and I boat 90% in salt/brackish water so yeah.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah unfortunately that's not normal. My 2007 never looked like that, only had a problem with the clamp bands starting to rust. My current boat has been exclusively salt water with 50 hours and still looks near show room with no signs of corrosion.