• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Salt water use

Jamie roberts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi guys second season with me boat I live in Canada wondering about using it in salt water? Is it a bad thing for the boat

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I only use mine in salt water. As long as you wash it down and flush the motor / pump assembly, you should have no problems. I always spray lubrication on all cables and the pump assembly also.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I agree with dshscarab, but I would also suggest to use a salt removal additive to the motor flush (use specific mixer) and interior/hull wash (use a hose mounted garden sprayer for the mix). I use West Marine's Salt remover, Salt Off. It is the cheapest, and they are all the same thing.

All salt water use with no problems.

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
I am using mine just about exclusively in Salt Water. Here is my approximately 2-3 hour routine when I bring it home:

Run Salt Away through the motor
Use a mix of Salt Away and Soap to wash the exterior and interior of the boat and also the trailer
Extra time given to rinse the entire inside and outside with fresh water
Use Leaf blower to help dry the exterior
Use Spray Nine to wipe down the interior
Use 303 Protectant on all interior
Use CRC 656 on just about everything I can
Use Detail Spray to wipe down the exterior

It takes a lot time but its worth it..... I do not care how long it takes just that its super clean from the salt.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am using mine just about exclusively in Salt Water. Here is my approximately 2-3 hour routine when I bring it home:

Run Salt Away through the motor
Use a mix of Salt Away and Soap to wash the exterior and interior of the boat and also the trailer
Extra time given to rinse the entire inside and outside with fresh water
Use Leaf blower to help dry the exterior
Use Spray Nine to wipe down the interior
Use 303 Protectant on all interior
Use CRC 656 on just about everything I can

It takes a lot time but its worth it..... I do not care how long it takes just that its super clean from the salt.

Hope that helps.
Whoa - whoa - whoa

I am glad you are comfortable with your routine, and I am sure your boat looks great.

However, I can take care of my boat in about 45 minutes. I spray down the interior and exterior using a salt remover in a hose end garden sprayer mixer; I also spray down the clean out plug port (plug, port and down to the intake). While that mixture dwells, I flush the engine with salt remover. Afterwards, it is a standard wash (high quality wash and wax product) and dry.

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Whoa - whoa - whoa

I am glad you are comfortable with your routine, and I am sure your boat looks great.

However, I can take care of my boat in about 45 minutes. I spray down the interior and exterior using a salt remover in a hose end garden sprayer mixer; I also spray down the clean out plug port (plug, port and down to the intake). While that mixture dwells, I flush the engine with salt remover. Afterwards, it is a standard wash (high quality wash and wax product) and dry.
Good for you... if that works for you than that’s great. I will spend as much time as needed to make sure my boat is the way I want it.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with all of the above, and thoroughly rinse the trailer and trailer brakes especially. i also take the boat to a nearby lake and run it for a few hours with the kids after a day in the ocean. That to me is the best clean out for the engines and hull. It’s also great for the trailer to dunk it on a fresh water lake. (Learned that trick from another jet boater in. this forum)

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
And here I am wet slipping in down river brackish salt water, and never did a flush. That said I ordered ball valves from island and will start doing in water flushes after my exhaust manifold issue lol.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
With over 20 years four different jet boats trailering mostly salt water no real issues . The trailers have been the most expensive part to maintain they send them out with brakes designed for fresh water.