• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sargassum Weed

We have eel grass in the great South Bay and one day we pulled into Oakland’s a restaurant over looking the Shinnecock inlet in our previous 2005 AR230. While eating lunch we watched the fishing boats moving quickly through the out going tide, they turn before going into the ocean waves. There was some eel grass floating in the marina not much but it was very long. load up the kids pull out of the marina go to power up nothing but cavitation. The water was moving faster than the power of the boat. I had a short anchor line it works fine anywhere in the bay but this was deep water and the anchor would not bite. This inlet is similar to the haulover inlet a little wider but lots of boats waves and jetties on both sides. Your natural tendancy is to fight the current but it’s a loosing battle and as soon as we rounded the corner in about 500 feet you're in the inlet that is moving even faster with boat traffic, waves and headed toward the ocean breakers with almost no power. Just like your taught if trapped in a rip current while swimming don’t fight the current go sideways, we did this and headed toward a sand bar as soon as the water got shallower the water slowed and then I could pull the clean out plugs yank the grass there wasn’t much but it was long and wreaked havoc on the propulsion and cooling system. Yes the temperature alarm lit up and steam was coming out of the pisser adding layers to the stress. I was always curious if different impellers could shred it up better, sitting in my garage are new jet pumps loaded with concord twin impellers these are great for surfing but I will defiantly rip through some eel grass to see how they do.
I'll be interested in what you think of the Concord screws.

I had good luck with Solas impellers... they are VERY sharp in the leading edges and curved... worked better except for sargassum.

yamaha needs a stomp grate in the jet intakes

Back