• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 255 vs. Yamaha 242 LS

MulletCutter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Cheers JB Community! I'm new to the forum and hail from MN where we have two seasons....winter and road construction!

After conducting serious due diligence while downing copious amounts of Moscow Mules, I've zeroed in on buying either a 2015 Scarab 255 HO Impulse or a 2015 Yamaha 242 LS. I know you can't go "wrong" with either boat and I'm leaning towards the Yamaha primarily due to the dealer network. However; one of the stumbling blocks I have in selecting the Yamaha is that it doesn't have an aft sun pad whereas the Scarab aft seats fold down to create one. This isn't a big deal for me, but my wife and kids it appears to be. I appreciate any feedback on this.

Welcome to the forum!

I don't own either so I have no dog in this and like you, I'm window shopping at this point. I will say though that on the flip side the Scarab seems to have a less roomy bow area and that is where the Yamahas make their sun pad when you use the middle cushions. Both boats seem to focus on the rear being the 'entertainment area' with large swim platforms and such. I'm just not sure how much traffic or action I'd want back there if I'm using the sun pad as well. Seems a little more balanced with the Yamaha by having the sun pad up front which frees up people lounging or jumping in and out of the water out back.

Both boats are great and I don't think you could do wrong with either. I tossed back and forth like you did but I'm 99% sold with the Yami. Not to mention less maintenance. I plan on taking the family with me to boat shows and checking them all out in person to make sure it's the right one for us. Best of luck in your choice!

Last edited:
You make a great point that I didn't even consider. Thank You!!

Good point about the bow area on the Yamaha. I can add that all my women (wife and 3 daughters and their friends) like to lay in the sun. With the bow area, they do not have to move while I am cruising. With the rear deck, they can;t do that on the Scarab. I have had 4 of them laying out in the bow while under way with my 21 ft'r.

Good luck. I am sure you will be happy either way.

Good points about the bow filler cushions. Yamaha has made their name in jet boats largely based on the layout of the swimdeck. I think the combination of the bow filler cushions up front and the huge swimdeck in the back is a winner. My wife is also a sun worshiper, and she seems quite happy with this setup.

Noise, noise, noise.

Jet boats are notoriously loud.

Yamaha wins!

(Based on published specs).

Yesterday we were cruising back to the launch. There was a conversation in the bow and another behind me. I could hear both clearly and could participate in either without yelling.

This at about 6000 rpms and 30ish mph.

I don't know first hand about the Scarab, but no way that was happening last summer in a Seadoo 180 that had one Rotax engine. The Scarab has 2.

YMMV.

For our family, the decision was easy when we considered that quiter engines only matter 100% of the time the engines are on.

Noise, noise, noise.

Jet boats are notoriously loud.

Yamaha wins!

(Based on published specs).

Yesterday we were cruising back to the launch. There was a conversation in the bow and another behind me. I could hear both clearly and could participate in either without yelling.

This at about 6000 rpms and 30ish mph.

I don't know first hand about the Scarab, but no way that was happening last summer in a Seadoo 180 that had one Rotax engine. The Scarab has 2.

YMMV.

It is also not happening on my 2011 AR240. In that regard, the 2015 models are far superior.

Thanks for the feedback!

Neither the Rotax or 1.8's are going to sound 'great' IMHO (like a throaty V8) and they will be noisy to some and not to others. YMMV.

However as mentioned the 2015's have an entirely different freeboard and hull this year that was designed to muffle the engine noise compared to previous years. They did this with extra padding foam and sound deadening material in the engine compartment along with redesigning how much of an echo chamber there is within the hull. According to boat test review videos it is over half the noise of the previous boat models, which is quite an accomplishment and it shows on the db scale tests. Another reason why I'm sold on getting a 2015+ Yami boat.

I would try to get some demo rides in both boats before you pull the trigger. Nothing better than forming your own opinions from actually hearing them run and picking the style of boat that suits you and your family best. I like the Scarabs as well as the Chaparral's but the Yamaha keeps bringing me back as it seems a great blend of tech, power, features, design and maintenance. I plan on testing them all before I buy just so I will have a direct impression from them instead of watching or reading reviews and tests.

Last edited:
I decided on my yami because of the noise and dependability of yamaha. I have all yamaha snowmobiles also. As far as the sun pad you have the entire bow area for 3 plus the 2 captains chairs rotate around and recline to that's 2 more. I also like that it's all yamaha so no arguing if it's a brp engine issue or scarab issue. But I'm biased.

Noise, noise, noise. Jet boats are notoriously loud.
Yamaha wins! ...... Yesterday we were cruising back to the launch. There was a conversation in the bow and another behind me. I could hear both clearly and could participate in either without yelling.
For our family, the decision was easy when we considered that quiter engines only matter 100% of the time the engines are on.
@Kennc nails it.
I could write a manual on this.
To each his own ........ As long as it's a QUALITY Yammi @!

Sorry for the old thread bump. I am currently boatless and living abroad, but have been searching for my next boat for when I return stateside next summer. I know this site to be mighty pro-yamaha, but I am trying to give each big jetboat a fair shake before I decide one way or another.

Am I missing something in regards to bow filler cushions in a scarab 255? It appears to be touted as a big reason to choose the 242 over the 255, however, it only took about 30 seconds of searching to find that bow filler cushions appear to come with any of the big jet boats. Furthermore, this photo provided by @cavel12000 shows that the differences in bow area are marginal at best. The 255's is longer but not as wide as the 242's. The anchor locker doesn't interfere with it either. Next, on the 255 impulse, the rear seat appears to able to fold completely flat in the event you require space for like 8 people to lay around at once. Both boats, just as in most any bowrider, seem to provide plenty of space for people to sit or lay. It looks to me like the scarab has more seating, more lounging, and more swim deck area than the 242 or 243 offering. How is this an advantage to yamaha? What am I missing?

JetBoat Length.jpg

digi53198704.jpg

Yes you can lay the rear seats down, but to me these boats all use the rear swim area as a main entertainment area. Lots of action off/on the platform in addition to in and out of the cabin area. If I'm planning to lounge the last place I want to be is where everyone else is boarding the boat and stepping over me. So that's not a huge selling point for me. It seems the Yamaha is more balanced in that regard with having the sun pad area up front and entertainment area out back. Also keep in mind you can't have people legally sit on the rear of the boat while underway.

I like all of the boats from Chaparral, Scarab and Yamaha but the reason I'm going to pick Yamaha is the motor. I also don't care for the Seadoo electronics and gauges from past experiences.

Best of luck in the search for your next boat. All of them are nice boats and it would be near impossible to not have a great time on any of them!

Last edited:
I agree the the yamaha is well balanced for seating, but all of the big jet boats are. When I mentioned the rear sunpad on the scarab, I just don't understand how it could not be recognised as advantageous. It can be whatever you want it to be as it is not fixed in position.

Engines: as for hard parts, brp and yamaha engines are tough as nails. I do feel there is an electronic reliability advantage to the yamahas though. That reliability comes at a disadvantage though as it really does not provide much in the way of "toys" (no cruise ctrl, docking mode, throttle ramp, chart plotting, engine temp etc).

Clean-outs vs shaft: I've never owned a jetboat so I have to take others word as gospel. However, most seem to say other than sucking up a rope ever few years, the clean out ports don't get used often. Then I read about rebuilding the plugs, buying locks for them, etc and I start to wonder if they are more of a pain in the ass than a benefit.

Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.

Regarding the clean-out plugs, the advantage is the ability to clear out weeds or debris that has been ingested into the pump without getting wet or taking a swim. If you plan to boat n a lake that is known to have a lot of growth in it (as I do), this is a critical function if you plan to go with a jetboat. Some of us use the clean-outs on most trips while others hardly ever use depending on where they boat.

I agree with you that this forum is pro-Yamaha, but I also think they are that way for a reason. Being a Yamaha owner, the big complaint that I have is excessive engine noise which the 2015 model addresses. I would try to get a test drive on both and consider the noise level among other things.

I have no dog in this fight since I don't own either so keep that into consideration. I've considered both when I was shopping on which to buy.

As far as sucking up stuff:
It really depends on the type of areas you boat in. If you look around here you will see people use the clean out ports and it's not as rare as you're think. That being said, the ability to fix most injested issues while on the boat and without jumping into the water or worse limping back to the trailer is a huge bonus! The cover on the shaft of the BRP boats is a cool idea in theory however if you look at close up pictures of the design you will see it does not prevent the possibility of sucking up a rope because the shaft does not fully cover all moving parts not to mention the impeller is still going to be exposed. For me the winner goes to Yahama just because it at least gives you the possibility of fixing an issue and then carry on boating versus if you suck up a rope or trash in the BRP motors at minimum you area jumping in the lake, swimming under the boat (dangerous), holding your breath, etc and at worse you are hoping you aren't too far from your trailer to pull the boat out if you can't get it unclogged.

In regards to the motor, I'm speaking more in maintenance costs and overall cost of ownership. The BRP motors have superchargers that have to be rebuilt which is not a cheap cost, especially if you're not a DIY owner. Factor in two rebuilds (per each motor) and it becomes twice as expensive. Aside from the AR192, all other Yamahas are naturally aspirated and the maintenance cost is much cheaper, especially the longer you keep it. I also prefer a higher displacement motor which has to work less to produce more versus a smaller displacement, higher revving motor that relies on forced induction to get near the same power and performance.

Just my .02 on those two aspects when o was considering boat brands.

Last edited:
I agree the the yamaha is well balanced for seating, but all of the big jet boats are. When I mentioned the rear sunpad on the scarab, I just don't understand how it could not be recognised as advantageous. It can be whatever you want it to be as it is not fixed in position.

Engines: as for hard parts, brp and yamaha engines are tough as nails. I do feel there is an electronic reliability advantage to the yamahas though. That reliability comes at a disadvantage though as it really does not provide much in the way of "toys" (no cruise ctrl, docking mode, throttle ramp, chart plotting, engine temp etc).

Clean-outs vs shaft: I've never owned a jetboat so I have to take others word as gospel. However, most seem to say other than sucking up a rope ever few years, the clean out ports don't get used often. Then I read about rebuilding the plugs, buying locks for them, etc and I start to wonder if they are more of a pain in the ass than a benefit.

Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.
I will say for a fact that I do not often have to use my clean outs. On the flipside... there has been massive amounts of rain over the last month where I boat, couple that with the DNR deciding to chop out lilly pads all over the place, I was clearing out my pumps all weekend. I would say I had pulled them about 10 times over the long weekend. My buddy also has a 240 and used them all weekend. So as some others mentioned, they sure are good insurance depending on the conditions you are boating in. I have never had to rebuild mine nor do I use the plugs lock, so the are really not a PITA! (for me at least) Good luck in your search. As long as your on the water I am sure you will be happy.

Regarding the rear seats and swim platform, in a Yamaha you can use both simultaneously. With the Scarab flip back rest, it is one or the other.

I think the bow of the Yamaha presents a better design. I would rather have the two cushions on the sides rather than one at the very bowside. On my boat, the bowside cushion would get stepped on constantly and probably ruined. And who would sit there facing backward? I think that is wasted space.

As to the stern, yes, the Yamaha stern is smaller. But when you are underway, that is not useable space. And when you are stopped, best you should probably be in the water...

IMHO. That is not to say that the others are horrible. They are not. Very competitive.

Back