• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 255 vs. Yamaha 242 LS

Wow. Hearing @ScarabMike say that is amazing. I looked at all the chaps and scarabs at the boat shows before deciding. Bigest thing for me was that Yamaha makes everything I thier boats and designed the hull for thier engines. Also when I tried to add all the standard features on a Yamaha to the other boats there was a $10,000 price deference. I also looked up the sound levels for all the boats on boatest.com and saw a huge difference. The rear seat backs I didn't like either. We spend a lot of time anchored up and swimming, with the shared seat backs on the chaps and scarabs you can't have people sitting outside on the transom and on the inside at the same time.

Seeing as how the the scarab platform only hosts brp engines it is safe to say it is designed for those engines. I'd imagine the chap vr/vrx lineup is the same way.

The swim platform seating is comparable across all models in my opinion. The chap and yamaha are pretty much identical when it comes to seating as they don't share seat backs. The scarab does share a seat back, however, it does have additional seating that faces aft that their competitors do not have (255 only).

For pricing, it seems you can get roughly $10k off msrp on the 255 scarabs, but they will certainly end up being more expensive when all is said and done. I anticipate being able to haggle on the chaps as well if it comes to it.

I agree with you completely. If you know the area you will be boating constantly has floating debris or a massive amount of growth, a jetboat is not the best option. Of course, if the place you are boating has these characteristics, boating in general may not be the best way to spend your spare time and money.

I completely agree.

I went and saw the 242 LS yesterday. What a great looking boat. Fit and finish blows the 255 out of the water. And the bang for the buck is definitely on the Yamaha. And its sooooo quiet.

The Scarab is more of a muscle car than a finesse car. Its loud, and its in your face. Kinda like the old Scarab's. But you pay a premium. My next jetboat will most def be a 242.

Love hearing your opinion on this. What are the fit/finish issues you're seeing on the scarabs? Anything specific, or sort of a death of a thousand cuts type deal?

@smashedheadcat Overall the boat was excellent. The style, and overall look can hold its own with boats like Formula, and Crownline. The vinyl is really good quality, and everything is put together nicely. The seats are comfortable, and the dash is intuative, and easy to learn. The pieces look like they belong to the boat, not just bolted on.

20150710_152510_zpschyj9pfa.jpg

20150710_152529_zpsxkad3eqf.jpg

It will take some time for the competitors to get to this level of refinement im my opinion. And I doubt anyone will touch the price. Dont get me wrong, the Scarab and Chaparral boats are awesome too. But I think they will need at least 5 years under their belt to get all the issues, and refinement to a level close to the 242, but they also have to get away from being greedy. Looking at this boat made me think how much overhead is being charged for the other boats. If Yamaha gets on this level all across their lineup, it will be hard to unseat them as the best in the industry.

Underwear - X1.jpg

Is that a cue for me to keep posting Mike? Lol

I guess I'll break the silence with a quote from another scarab owner:

The interior was a big reason for us to go Scarab over Yamaha. We were set on the 242 LS until my wife saw the interior on our 255.

As has been mentioned countless times, one must simply put their hands on these boats to appreciate them and see which one tickles your fancy.

My goal is to give each boat a fair shake. Obviously there is some bias, and it is completely normal, also appreciated. I can't jump on the yamaha wagon with because someone said they have bow filler cushions and the competition doesn't. The 24ft yamahas are excellent boats, just as they should be. I cannot wait to get my hands on one. I just want to get my hands on their competition as well.

Now only if they had some type of surf package. My wife loves the swim platform and I have picked up surfing. Hurry Yamaha and bring out the 2016 with a surf option like the Chapperal! If they do anyone interested in a VERY nice 2014 limitedS? :)

Looks like they are paying attention to the feedback from whats happening with the older boats. There is a new color for the 2016 model year, maybe more. This is an HO, and it was spec'ed out like a HOI. I can tell you the vinyl fabric is new. If they give me some good numbers, Ill make the drive to check it out and take some vids for you guys. They now also come equipped with a pump out head that's pretty nice.

This is the first 2016 I have seen, and it is a BIG ass boat.
http://www.marinemax.com/boats/details/5141759/new/scarab-255-ho-marinemax-cumming

Found some more pics of the 2016 255...

5148893_0_311219691600_2.jpg

5141759_20150701084620350_1_LARGE.jpg

5141759_20150701084615515_1_LARGE.jpg

4873856_20150528122016213_1_LARGE.jpg

5141759_20150703115031484_1_LARGE.jpg

5141759_20150701084624242_1_LARGE.jpg

5141759_20150703115024662_1_LARGE.jpg

I just watched a couple of the 255 videos. Nice boat. The Scarab definitely has more edge to the styling than the Yamaha. One area that the boat certainly tops the Yamaha is the head compartment. Having cleaned out the port-a-pottie on my AR240 after EVERY outing, I think the next boat I purchase will have a pump-out head.....preferably with a porcelain toilet.

...and a flamethrower to clean after the boys have been in there.

...and a flamethrower to clean after the boys have been in there.

In that regard, fortunately I have three daughters but it is still no picnic and not something that I like about boating.

Greetings all, Just joined and this is my first post. We purchased a 2015 Scarab 255 with the dual 250's just after Memorial Day, have already logged 30+ hours aboard and could not be more pleased with this boat. Had a Boston Whaler Rage for a number of years until we outgrew it, and then nothing for the past few. I grew up boating in the family Sea Ray 190 and borrowed my sister's Crownline 21' a few dozen times, but nothing I've driven is as pleasing as the Scarab.

First saw it at the Miami Boat Show in February, and then again here in MI when we went shopping for something used. Couldn't find anything that compared to it's quality and comfort. Also looked at the comparable Yamaha, but honestly, our neighbors have one that they always seem to be having problems with, and I liked the single throttle better.

We boat on Lake Michigan and a connected inland lake and so far weeds have not been an issue for the jets.

Someone said something about this being a new boat for Scarab, which is really only partially true as just the length is new.

Welcome to the forum @KPJ1957 amd glad to hear y'all are enjoying your new boat!

Last edited:
My portapotti is super easy to clean out, just ask my dealer as he still has it. I told my wife when we bought the boat there would be no pottying anywhere on our boat. Number one, you jump in the water, number 2, well you should've planned ahead.

I have a bucket with a luggable loo on the top. Put in a kitchen garbage bag, put a puppy pee pad in the bottom, then snap the luggable loo onto the bucket. End of the day, unsnap the lid, tie the bag, and dispose of properly.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the BRP engines are not totally closed cooling. I know they brag about it, but I'm pretty sure the exhaust still circulates outside water.

Nope. Closed Loop Cooling.

I have a Sea-Doo GXP with closed loop cooling but the exhaust is cooled from fresh water. It even has a port to run while out of the water. This is done when changing the oil (to heat up the oil for better extraction). While it appears to be the same engines as in the boats I can't speak specifically for them.

The exhaust still circulates external cooling water. The engines are closed loop but not the exhausts.

Back