• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 255 vs. Yamaha 242 LS

@haknslash thank you for pointing that out as I agree with you knowing your stance. I think Scarab is using it as a marketing ploy which is rightfully so being BRPs main market has always involved winter items, snow mobiles and the such and I am certain the motor used in their jet propulsion system was adapted from another source just like Yamaha did with the MR1, they took a motorcycle engine and marinized it. There is nothing wrong with a closed loop system and it is preferable IMHO for a vessel that would be left in the water year round however that is something I would never do with a jet boat of any make simply due to the pump is a vary hard place to get anti fowling product into and have it stay.

I do think Scarab is using the closed loop feature to fear people to their system vs actual reality of its quality and ability over the other. When you are going after the number 1 seller in the world you have to find something to separate yourself from them and hopefully it is enough to aid in driving sales to them however reliability in anything Yamaha Marine has been vastly superior vs. anything BRP as far as ease of maintenance and longevity are concerned and that is a tough nut to crack. It is no different then when anyone thinks of reliable air cooled engines the number one brand that comes to mind is Honda. That is the game Scarab and the others are playing at the moment. Just remember the number 1 selling marine outboard for saltwater use has been Yamaha for decades now with their advanced corrosion protection etc. They are always my first choice for marine, Honda is my first choice for air cooled and Ford is my first choice for trucks. None of the above have ever left me stranded. ;)

I don't have any issue with Scarab, just the way the market it- and not just Scarab. Hell a Scarab or Chaparral may be my next boat. I am against misleading marketing in all things. Just because you and I may be well versed in everything boat related, doesn't mean every customer needs to be or should be. You and I will pick up on the "engine" technicality in the advertisement. Most won't. They read that assume they have no raw water concerns whatsoever. I know, they aren't technically doing anything wrong but c'mon... Look at cell phones. There is nothing filled with more BS and misleading statements than cell phone advertisements. 99% of people know nothing of cell networks and how they operate but they still buy cell phones.

The only reason I would not be looking at them any time soon is the lack of dual engine control. Even with my 212X and knowing how to utilize dual controllable thrust I am able to do things with the boat that other people are amazed at, specially at the docks etc. This is something that I have carried over from running larger twin screw boats and it is just an additional element to me in slow speed handling that I do not want to give up if there are twin engines. Now down the road I could see me trading up to a 28' cabin cruiser with trips or quads perhaps... if any of the jet boat mfgs are paying attention... LOL it still needs to be trailerable though!

Back