• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 255 Wake - Wake Tests with Ballasts

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Tested the surf tab on our new Scarab 255 Wake with all internal ballast bags filled with an additional 800 lbs external ballast with one passenger in the stern and captain.

Photos taken, but editing video to minimize size, will post shortly after

Internal ballasts bags are great, but a HUGE difference with an extra 800lbs.

Weather: 92 degrees
Water Temp: 65 (Slightly choppy)
Wind Speed: 10-12 mph
Wake Speed: Between 9.2 to 9.6

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Finally some pics of those things in action! Not bad at all and interesting "scoop" design. How did it surf? Does it have decent push?

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Finally some pics of those things in action! Not bad at all and interesting "scoop" design. How did it surf? Does it have decent push?
I haven't tried it myself, more of a test run before the warm temps kick in. More updates to come.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Curious to see Regular side also. Goofy side usually always looks better. Decent looking wake for sure. Definitely plenty of room to play on.

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Curious to see Regular side also. Goofy side usually always looks better. Decent looking wake for sure. Definitely plenty of room to play on.
Yeah, my daughter and I are goofy foot so we tried it on that side, didn't have enough time to switch to the other side due to the winds increasing. We plan to move the ballasts around to see how the wake will look, especially on calmer days.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Would it be too much trouble to ask if you would take some additional pictures? I'm curious how far off the hull the "surf wing scoop" sits? What it looks like mounted if you looking from underneath? I'm guessing the idea is for the scoop to grab water as it passes along the side of the hull and then direct it towards the jet pumps which in turns knocks down jet wash. It actually looks to be building it up quite nicely with just that weight. How much internal ballast does your boat have? Add in another 1,000 lbs and I bet that thing looks really good.

Hyooz2004

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do you like the Ronix telescoping bag? Those are the ones Ive been looking at for speed and ease of use. I like how you can just drop the pump into the bag.

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
How do you like the Ronix telescoping bag? Those are the ones Ive been looking at for speed and ease of use. I like how you can just drop the pump into the bag.
We like it a lot, those bag with the pump filled and emptied the 800lbs sack in less time for the internal bags to fill, just fill. Well worth it.

MGB255IDCOGNAC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Do you leave the wake surf tabs on even when cruising or just during wake surfing? not sure if the extra drag reduces the fuel or effects performance during full out speed or cruising around the lakes..

MGB255IDCOGNAC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Image of the underwater lights at night on the 255 ID wake

Attachments

MGB255IDCOGNAC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Do you leave the surf tabs on even when not wake surfing? There is not much info on them... not sure if it effects full out speed, additional drag?? additional fuel??

Tested the surf tab on our new Scarab 255 Wake with all internal ballast bags filled with an additional 800 lbs external ballast with one passenger in the stern and captain.

Photos taken, but editing video to minimize size, will post shortly after

Internal ballasts bags are great, but a HUGE difference with an extra 800lbs.

Weather: 92 degrees
Water Temp: 65 (Slightly choppy)
Wind Speed: 10-12 mph
Wake Speed: Between 9.2 to 9.6

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Do you leave the wake surf tabs on even when cruising or just during wake surfing? not sure if the extra drag reduces the fuel or effects performance during full out speed or cruising around the lakes..
The tabs are removable, so we keep them off until it's time to use them. Having the tabs on requires you to ride slower and yes there is a drag.

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Where did you get your wake tabs at?
It was part of the wake package when we initially purchased the boat.

If you need to purchase one, I drove to New Orleans from Dallas because i trusted this particular dealer. Others within the US and Canada utilizes him for certain parts, he's very trustworthy and knowledgeable.

Blake Fenton

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I priced them through my dealer to put them on my boat and they quoted me around $1200 for the parts alone, didn't include labor. I'll have to save up as I really want it!

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I priced them through my dealer to put them on my boat and they quoted me around $1200 for the parts alone, didn't include labor. I'll have to save up as I really want it!
Blake, try and contact Leonard Mariast from New Orleans PS where I purchased mine. He sells all the parts and let them know I referred you, they'll offer 10% discount and he normally sell cheaper than other dealers. 504-461-0098 (Gloria Fisch 255 Denim Blue)