• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 285!!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It does look a bit odd.....

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I believe some states you just do an online request for oversized towing anything over 8'6" and under 10' wide. Don't know what it costs but can be done quickly.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I believe some states you just do an online request for oversized towing anything over 8'6" and under 10' wide. Don't know what it costs but can be done quickly.
Just throwing out what i researched quick because i know some have concerns about the wider beam. It's a good looking boat!

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just throwing out what i researched quick because i know some have concerns about the wider beam. It's a good looking boat!
I cant imagine towing that. I get stressed out enough staying in the lines!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I cant imagine towing that. I get stressed out enough staying in the lines!
You get used to it. A longer trailer is often easier than a short one backing up until you need sharp turns.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Very nice boat! If i had the money i would be testing the new big 2 boats.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Boat looks way better than the Yamaha 275. It does look very long and skinny from the top though. I would never be interested in a boat this size, but it’s cool.

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
they did a great job on this boat but the only complaint i would have is that there is no refreshment station like the Yamaha 275. i would have sacrificed one seat for a sink above the fridge. just my opinion. other then that, they nailed it.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Just got this picture from a friend that was the Scarab 285 intro. It's a huge boat with an amazing layout. He said they were getting 52mph+ in heavy chop.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Exciting!

I like it. Can't say I love it, but I could see myself in the scarab. HUGE improvement over the Yamaha 275.

Looks:
- Something about it is throwing me off, but nothing like the 275 did. I think it's the way the back of the scarab, the top line somehow goes back up before going down.
- That walkway to the transom. I don't like that wall of white. Looks really bad and cheap. They should cut out some of the side and somehow put some kind of side insert in for storage or a door (so pets can't run onto the transom).
- Another bowrider where the top of the hull is mostly a long straight line with a windshield dropped on top of it. Next time, try to make the hull and windshield work together like they belong or flow together, BUT NOT like that ugliness that Yamaha did on the 275.
- I don't like that weird front corner piece on the windshield. Why?

What I like:
- I really like the transom and the rear seat. Lots of space.
- Like how the transom is one large single level space.
- Love the interior seating. THANK YOU!!! No passengers captains chair. A flip seat! Yeah! We hated the captains chair on the 275 that when turned around, then made opening the head impossible and that captains chair did not turn easily since it rubbed against the side.
- Finally 4 speakers in the sitting area and all at the right height. I don't like it when the front 2 speakers are on the floor or blocked by chairs turned around, etc.
- Like the offset bow access (although I wish it had been offset the other way)

What I wish was different:
- The front opening bathroom with the huge lift up door. Don't like that all. That space is just not as convenient to get to now. A 3' to 4' longer boat and they couldn't figure out how to make access to the head easier? WT ... We use that space on our boat for storage. I have a portable toilet in there that nobody has used. I can imagine that space on the scarab will go to waste because nobody will want to open that and/or somebody will be sitting there or there will be towels or other stuff on that front seat unless they really really need to go bad. IMO, really bad move scarab.
- Triple axle trailer. I really hope they can deliver it with a dual axle trailer. Triple axle trailers are really tough on tires especially when you get into tight turns and tolls go up, and in FL another set of brakes are needed, etc. We 100% trailer and if for some reason triple axle is the only way to go, the scarab is crossed off the list. The Searay 270 SDX OB weighs more and they offer it on a dual axle trailer.
- Hate the dash (Non-wake edition I assume with round gauges). Absolutely hate it. No easy way to install a large screen. I am tired of gimmicky contoured plastic, etc. Why can't you guys do something like what searay or regal did and provide a nice large flat spot, blacked out glass or something and give us space to do what we want?
- Another large proprietary screen (I assume the wake edition model). That side dash with those switches looked super cheap and ugly.
- Weird place for the transom stereo remote. Not easy to reach if you're in the water or standing outside the boat at a sandbar or even if you're sitting down.
- For a 9'+ wide boat, wish the rear transom seat was more like the Regal 26OBX (an 8'6" wide boat) that provides for it to fold flat and be a sunpad but still has a dedicated side seat too.
- Tiny side access to the drivers helm
- There is a bit of cheapness to the boat. Same like the scarab 255 open. They basically build a 2 piece boat, hull and cap, and then just attach cushioning to the side. I would prefer they cut out some of the side and then insert a piece (like Yamaha and other brands) that opens it up again and makes the inside look roomier and wider and provides a place for speakers, cupholders, phones, etc. The scarab 255 open felt really cheap, the sides of the boat were very thin, the gunwale was very thin, etc. Seriously, a center console boat and you can't even have rod holders on the side because the side is so thin and no place to store rods or anything.

Things that would have been nice:
- Instead of offsetting the walkway to the starboard, I would like to have seen it offset to the port. If the starboard side was wider and the bathroom was on the sbdb side, that much more room for a nicer dash, easier access from within the bathroom to the back of the dash etc.
- Another flip seat for the actual captains chair like SeaRay has. We loved how both seats flipped on the Searay and the main area was then huge and there was so much room for everybody. It was awesome.
- Either a second rear boarding ladder or some kind of transom step like SeaRay or Cobalt have.

The unknown:
- Let's hope the efficiency and range are nowhere as bad as on the 275. 98 gal tank is a huge improvement, just hope the boat is not guzzling twice as much fuel like the 275 does, otherwise, there's no net gain in range.
- I would like to see Scarab have the courage to post some drone video of what happens when this beast drives into a floating football sized patch of grass in the FL Keys and if it can continue to plane afterwards.
- What will the height on trailer be without a tower and will they provide a tower that can fold down low enough.
- How much storage? How much space under that rear transom hatch and under the seats. I was amazed at how the Scarab 255 open literally had no storage at all aft of the helm. 25' of boat with so little storage.
- Any bow filler cushions? My boat always has them in. However, I can only imagine how much harder it would be to get into that scarab bathroom.

My family's current favorite for a next boat is the Regal 26OBX. Would love to see how it performs with a sharrow prop. I showed my wife the pics of the scarab, and she likes it and wants to see it, but still prefers the Regal. Her 1st comment whenever I bring up a jet, is why, given all our grass headaches. And then the question of how much storage is there. It's just amazing how much storage there is on the Regal and Searay.

I like the scarab and can't wait to see it in person. I really hope the engines deliver good performance, efficiency and range, and that somehow the boat can not clog up with grass. Make it fit on a dual axle trailer that will fit through an 8' door, and that would be awesome. Then my only issue is the trailering width and extra permitting and worrying about the FL keys and their extra oversized rules, but I could live with that..

For anybody that must have jet drives and something longer than 27', I think it's a no-brainer. Go with the scarab. Entry level price $10k cheaper than Yamaha for a slightly bigger boat that is nice looking.

Regal 26 OBX

SeaRay 270 SDX

Boarding steps:

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Exciting!

I like it. Can't say I love it, but I could see myself in the scarab. HUGE improvement over the Yamaha 275.

Looks:
- Something about it is throwing me off, but nothing like the 275 did. I think it's the way the back of the scarab, the top line somehow goes back up before going down.
- That walkway to the transom. I don't like that wall of white. Looks really bad and cheap. They should cut out some of the side and somehow put some kind of side insert in for storage or a door (so pets can't run onto the transom).
- Another bowrider where the top of the hull is mostly a long straight line with a windshield dropped on top of it. Next time, try to make the hull and windshield work together like they belong or flow together, BUT NOT like that ugliness that Yamaha did on the 275.
- I don't like that weird front corner piece on the windshield. Why?

What I like:
- I really like the transom and the rear seat. Lots of space.
- Like how the transom is one large single level space.
- Love the interior seating. THANK YOU!!! No passengers captains chair. A flip seat! Yeah! We hated the captains chair on the 275 that when turned around, then made opening the head impossible and that captains chair did not turn easily since it rubbed against the side.
- Finally 4 speakers in the sitting area and all at the right height. I don't like it when the front 2 speakers are on the floor or blocked by chairs turned around, etc.
- Like the offset bow access (although I wish it had been offset the other way)

What I wish was different:
- The front opening bathroom with the huge lift up door. Don't like that all. That space is just not as convenient to get to now. A 3' to 4' longer boat and they couldn't figure out how to make access to the head easier? WT ... We use that space on our boat for storage. I have a portable toilet in there that nobody has used. I can imagine that space on the scarab will go to waste because nobody will want to open that and/or somebody will be sitting there or there will be towels or other stuff on that front seat unless they really really need to go bad. IMO, really bad move scarab.
- Triple axle trailer. I really hope they can deliver it with a dual axle trailer. Triple axle trailers are really tough on tires especially when you get into tight turns and tolls go up, and in FL another set of brakes are needed, etc. We 100% trailer and if for some reason triple axle is the only way to go, the scarab is crossed off the list. The Searay 270 SDX OB weighs more and they offer it on a dual axle trailer.
- Hate the dash (Non-wake edition I assume with round gauges). Absolutely hate it. No easy way to install a large screen. I am tired of gimmicky contoured plastic, etc. Why can't you guys do something like what searay or regal did and provide a nice large flat spot, blacked out glass or something and give us space to do what we want?
- Another large proprietary screen (I assume the wake edition model). That side dash with those switches looked super cheap and ugly.
- Weird place for the transom stereo remote. Not easy to reach if you're in the water or standing outside the boat at a sandbar or even if you're sitting down.
- For a 9'+ wide boat, wish the rear transom seat was more like the Regal 26OBX (an 8'6" wide boat) that provides for it to fold flat and be a sunpad but still has a dedicated side seat too.
- Tiny side access to the drivers helm
- There is a bit of cheapness to the boat. Same like the scarab 255 open. They basically build a 2 piece boat, hull and cap, and then just attach cushioning to the side. I would prefer they cut out some of the side and then insert a piece (like Yamaha and other brands) that opens it up again and makes the inside look roomier and wider and provides a place for speakers, cupholders, phones, etc. The scarab 255 open felt really cheap, the sides of the boat were very thin, the gunwale was very thin, etc. Seriously, a center console boat and you can't even have rod holders on the side because the side is so thin and no place to store rods or anything.

Things that would have been nice:
- Instead of offsetting the walkway to the starboard, I would like to have seen it offset to the port. If the starboard side was wider and the bathroom was on the sbdb side, that much more room for a nicer dash, easier access from within the bathroom to the back of the dash etc.
- Another flip seat for the actual captains chair like SeaRay has. We loved how both seats flipped on the Searay and the main area was then huge and there was so much room for everybody. It was awesome.
- Either a second rear boarding ladder or some kind of transom step like SeaRay or Cobalt have.

The unknown:
- Let's hope the efficiency and range are nowhere as bad as on the 275. 98 gal tank is a huge improvement, just hope the boat is not guzzling twice as much fuel like the 275 does, otherwise, there's no net gain in range.
- I would like to see Scarab have the courage to post some drone video of what happens when this beast drives into a floating football sized patch of grass in the FL Keys and if it can continue to plane afterwards.
- What will the height on trailer be without a tower and will they provide a tower that can fold down low enough.
- How much storage? How much space under that rear transom hatch and under the seats. I was amazed at how the Scarab 255 open literally had no storage at all aft of the helm. 25' of boat with so little storage.
- Any bow filler cushions? My boat always has them in. However, I can only imagine how much harder it would be to get into that scarab bathroom.

My family's current favorite for a next boat is the Regal 26OBX. Would love to see how it performs with a sharrow prop. I showed my wife the pics of the scarab, and she likes it and wants to see it, but still prefers the Regal. Her 1st comment whenever I bring up a jet, is why, given all our grass headaches. And then the question of how much storage is there. It's just amazing how much storage there is on the Regal and Searay.

I like the scarab and can't wait to see it in person. I really hope the engines deliver good performance, efficiency and range, and that somehow the boat can not clog up with grass. Make it fit on a dual axle trailer that will fit through an 8' door, and that would be awesome. Then my only issue is the trailering width and extra permitting and worrying about the FL keys and their extra oversized rules, but I could live with that..

For anybody that must have jet drives and something longer than 27', I think it's a no-brainer. Go with the scarab. Entry level price $10k cheaper than Yamaha for a slightly bigger boat that is nice looking.

Regal 26 OBX

SeaRay 270 SDX

Boarding steps:

I found that indiana oversized permit costs are not horrid.
Screenshot_20200129-213114_Drive.jpg
405 for the whole year isn't horrid.
I am sure most states would be similar.