• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

School me on MRI dry sump oil system

betterwhenitswetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok guys I pulled the oil filter,

first test no spark plugs, only starter so rotated the engine nice and slow to test flow, it would flow a little enough that made sense to me for about 200 rpms.

2nd test, full run>ran the engine for bursts of 1-3 secs max, as it would fill up my container/oil catch bowl quick even with my pneumatic oil sucker was trying to keep up it, flows plenty when the engine is on, I ran it over and over....... and over. The dry oil tank never level never went down, in-fact it got fuller!!!

so bazzar that the dry sump oil tank would never go down, every dang time I have done a oil change the level drops so you add oil. it has to be the dang oil pump.

I am guessing here, the pump has 3 rotors, 1 suction rotors, one pump is a bypass, 2nd suction pulls oil into the dry sump tank, 3rd is pressure for engine which pulls from dry sump tank. <- has to be the 3 rotor in the pump.

but if its the pump bad how did this happen in the first place from a cyl 3 fuel injector that was fubar ?

Last edited:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Or maybe it was just a faulty pump.... maybe there is a little construction debris from the engine build that was sucked up... I am at a lose here for u... but after all you said and tried I tend to agree... it's got to be the oil pump... how hard is it to change?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Scott, I remember you helped me 5 years ago when I got my boat, I remember you came over to my house with your son as well (I believe it was after your son's cub scout meeting ), you pulled the hours since I just bought it used and had no idea..., it showed 24 hours on it.
Hey that was me, I thought your user name was something with "Camaro" in it, that must have been at YJB. I wish I knew you had a ski I would have asked to borrow it one day, my kids have been killing me about riding one!

betterwhenitswetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey that was me, I thought your user name was something with "Camaro" in it, that must have been at YJB. I wish I knew you had a ski I would have asked to borrow it one day, my kids have been killing me about riding one!
It was on YJB, but I am not on that site anymore... I will never go back.

I didn't have the waverunners when you helped me, I do owe you one!

betterwhenitswetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
just an update guys, since all the oil was drained even from the engine I tried 2 quarts of fresh oil in the tank only, turned the engine over no plugs... didn't move a single bit. Installed plugs ran it for 2-3 seconds same oil didn't move at all.

The pressure rotor is supposed to pull from the tank... sigh I guess its officially coming off.

Last edited:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was going to say... even running it for 2 to 3 seconds and turning it over all this time with no oil getting to the motor isn't healthy at a minimum.. u have to diagnose the issue but I would be worried about doing any more engine to rotations with no oil... may just be time to dive in like u said!

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
just an update guys, since all the oil was drained even from the engine I tried 2 quarts of fresh oil in the tank only, turned the engine over no plugs... didn't move a single bit. Installed plugs ran it for 2-3 seconds same oil didn't move at all.

The pressure rotor is supposed to pull from the tank... sigh I guess its officially coming off.
What did you end up finding here? I am having a similar issue with the oil pressure light coming on.