• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sea Doo Switch 21

tiagoweiler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi I have recently purchased a Sea Doo Switch Cruise 21 230hp. Wanted to ask for recommendations on engine map upgrade or any other mods to gain more power. I have fond and engine remap from Torxracing, anyone has any experience with them?

Thanks!

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
I wouldn’t do anything with tuning/re-mapping until your warranty runs out. If you have a warranty issue, the dealership will know what you’ve done as soon as they plug in and read the diagnostic codes. More than likely, they will deny a warranty claim, and you’ll have to pay for repairs yourself.

tiagoweiler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wouldn’t do anything with tuning/re-mapping until your warranty runs out. If you have a warranty issue, the dealership will know what you’ve done as soon as they plug in and read the diagnostic codes. More than likely, they will deny a warranty claim, and you’ll have to pay for repairs yourself.
Thanks a lot for your reply and concern. I have taken the boat to South America so I don’t have anymore warranty coverage. Having this in mind would you recommend any remap or mod?

thanks

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Standard factory programming is often done in an overly cautious manner, in order to increase the longevity of the engine. There are definitely noticeable differences in performance with changing the factory set up. Trying to “max out” the performance level with tuning and bolt on parts without changing internals can lead to premature failure. I haven’t modified my boat engines, but enjoy it when it comes to cars. Just remember that the performance claims are usually made for jet skis, and you’ll be lucky to get 30% of the stated speed gains with a boat. If they claim a 7mph gain for a ski. You may only get 2mph on a boat.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I think the Switches are too new for any tunes. Figuring that engine is a tuned up version of other motors, I would think it is pretty much maxed out for safety. Sure you can always up the boost, but I don't think I would risk it. Getting parts in the US is hard, getting them to South America will be even harder.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think the Switches are too new for any tunes. Figuring that engine is a tuned up version of other motors, I would think it is pretty much maxed out for safety. Sure you can always up the boost, but I don't think I would risk it. Getting parts in the US is hard, getting them to South America will be even harder.
It would be interesting to know which motor they dropped in there in comparison to their PWC line. As we all could guess SeaDoo didn't design a whole new engine for the Switch line. Green Hulk or other mod forums may have tunes available that would apply.

That being said, I would think the tune and impeller pitch would be specific to the switch, as that same motor is now pushing much more weight. So a tune that is out the for the PWC version of the same engine, may apply, but now you have a totally different power curve that may cavitate or fall flat on it's face.

Proper modding would require a person to look at the whole driveline. Engine, tune, intake, pump and impeller

tiagoweiler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Standard factory programming is often done in an overly cautious manner, in order to increase the longevity of the engine. There are definitely noticeable differences in performance with changing the factory set up. Trying to “max out” the performance level with tuning and bolt on parts without changing internals can lead to premature failure. I haven’t modified my boat engines, but enjoy it when it comes to cars. Just remember that the performance claims are usually made for jet skis, and you’ll be lucky to get 30% of the stated speed gains with a boat. If they claim a 7mph gain for a ski. You may only get 2mph on a boat.
Yes I understand that, not looking to max it out was just wondering if the power curve could get a little better. Actual power is not that bad but when towing a skier it could be much better with a little more power. Engine is the 230hp. Not also looking for more top speed just to be able to maintain speed when I have some people on board and a skier behind. Thanks!

tiagoweiler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes actually they are too new for tunes, I would say impeller pitch and other mods may be later available but now just looking for a small gain when I have a skier behind. Parts is an issue as you say and also not looking to risk anything, just wondering if there was any tune available that is not risky.

Thanks!

tiagoweiler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It would be interesting to know which motor they dropped in there in comparison to their PWC line. As we all could guess SeaDoo didn't design a whole new engine for the Switch line. Green Hulk or other mod forums may have tunes available that would apply.

That being said, I would think the tune and impeller pitch would be specific to the switch, as that same motor is now pushing much more weight. So a tune that is out the for the PWC version of the same engine, may apply, but now you have a totally different power curve that may cavitate or fall flat on it's face.

Proper modding would require a person to look at the whole driveline. Engine, tune, intake, pump and impeller
Engine is the 230hp in my case. Would thing there are some tunes available as it is an engine that has been available for quite some time. Not looking for a complete modding for now, just a little gain with a tune if the case is that it can be done without risk. I am just looking for a bit more power and being able to maintain speed when I have some people on board plus a skier behind.
Thanks!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As I mentioned in the other thread, try looking up Riva Racing and Maptuner X. You may find something there for this Switch. They have kits for other Switches.

Tallboy56

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Switch
Boat Length
Engine is the 230hp in my case. Would thing there are some tunes available as it is an engine that has been available for quite some time. Not looking for a complete modding for now, just a little gain with a tune if the case is that it can be done without risk. I am just looking for a bit more power and being able to maintain speed when I have some people on board plus a skier behind.
Thanks!
You do have the L key set to 5 , right? Also, the Cruise model does not come with the "ski mode module" but you can add it. Not sure if that would help you with your control while pulling a skier or tube. Hey, it's a pontoon boat... not sure I want mine to go much faster.

Tallboy56

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Switch
Boat Length
Some of the comments regarding the engine don't mention that the 230 hp is the Rotax 1630ACE supercharged version. Looking at lots of BRP vessels, it looks like the 1630 ACE is a common engine with various performance packages available. I read recently that they will offer a 325hp version of the same engine in a PWC. Yikes!

steelhorse454

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My opinion is that you may be pushing that same jet ski motor too much as it now resides in a heavier boat. (aka Pontoon).
Even if minor, you may be reducing engine life, and reliability.
I contacted RIVA about upgrading a few things on my Yamaha AR195 boat, ( 250 HP Supercharged )and they informed me that their parts are not for Yamaha boats but for jet skis only.....My guess is because of the weight difference. There is a reason you don't see BOAT mods listed. At least this is the email response I got.
Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Some of the comments regarding the engine don't mention that the 230 hp is the Rotax 1630ACE supercharged version. Looking at lots of BRP vessels, it looks like the 1630 ACE is a common engine with various performance packages available. I read recently that they will offer a 325hp version of the same engine in a PWC. Yikes!
Since Scarab uses the same engines, the 325 hp Rotax is also going to be an option with the new boats as well.

Jim

SwissDoo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The 230 is not the same engine as the 300 or 325!
Maptuner has a tune for the 230, claim to get over 250. Also approved for boats.

I have only good to say about them.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Switch
Boat Length
Thanks a lot for your reply and concern. I have taken the boat to South America so I don’t have anymore warranty coverage. Having this in mind would you recommend any remap or mod?

thanks
Ola thiago,

Text me in wtsp +5598991430123 i have some ideias!