• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sea Rayder…. To fix or sell

TDavis

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Motor locked up, trying to decide to fix or sell as is. it’s a 175 Sport Jet. looks like pulling the motor in one of these is not too bad. anyone know if a short block can be purchased or if a power head from an outboard be used?

E151A3C6-6707-4832-A88A-B8ECE075F9CF.jpeg
812A3701-C4E7-462A-A496-FD64FDBC77A7.jpeg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had a similar boat with the same motor and pump. I bet yours was very quick when it was running. Sorry to say, I think you are better off selling it as is. It was hard getting parts for it when I owned one in 2004. It’s almost impossible to get parts for it now or anyone to work on it. Still I read that the block is the same as Mercury’s 6 cylinder outboards of the same eta. Sugar sand and seadoo used 200, 210, 240 and 250 hp sport jet platforms for a while as well. You may be able to find one being parted out online.

TDavis

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What do you think it would be worth as is.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No clue as I saw a seadoo from the late 90’s being almost given away online last night. I would advertise it as a parts boat and emphasize what the trailer as well as the block and pump are worth.

TDavis

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Update on the jet boat, so it turns out I jumped to conclusions on the motor being locked up. Had a little bit a time today to look at it and the fly wheel is spinning on the crank. I put a ratchet on the flywheel nut and was able to spin the motor over. Just wondering if there is a carter key or something that connects the fly wheel to the crank? I ran out of time and need to look into it more before taking the flywheel off.

Attachments

Last edited:

TDavis

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Found a magnet separated from the flywheel and broken. Thinking that is what stopped the motor. Found the flywheel teeth chewed up. I believe the crank is ok. If I purchase a new flywheel and put it on. Is that all there is to it?
Still trying to decide to fix or sell as is. Appreciate any info

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know the answer to the flywheel,

that's a nice looking boat,
not running I would think you'd be lucky to get $1k for it,
running I bet you could get at least 3 if not $5k

TDavis

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't know the answer to the flywheel,

that's a nice looking boat,
not running I would think you'd be lucky to get $1k for it,
running I bet you could get at least 3 if not $5k
Kind of what I was thinking, flywheel is 500. So thinking to try that and see. Probably sell either way

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Sharp boat and matching trailer. If its running now, why get rid of it? Lack of use or interest? Should sell quickly, these were pretty popular in Ohio for people who had big boats that never took them from the dock. Easy way to swim platform hop from boat to boat up and down the marina.

TDavis

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sharp boat and matching trailer. If its running now, why get rid of it? Lack of use or interest? Should sell quickly, these were pretty popular in Ohio for people who had big boats that never took them from the dock. Easy way to swim platform hop from boat to boat up and down the marina.
Thinking of getting something that I can fish out of as well as go to the sandbar. But you are right, now that it’s running, kind of torn

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Thinking of getting something that I can fish out of as well as go to the sandbar. But you are right, now that it’s running, kind of torn
Understood. That makes a great entry level boat at that price point, and from the couple photos it looks very clean. Other than the age, I would imagine it will sell quickly. Those size boats are nice as they are easily towed behind small SUVs/Vans and pull nicely. My uncle had a Sea Doo Challenger about the same size, great boat and fun! Never been on a Sea Rayder but seen plenty of them on Lake Erie. Who doesn't love a Sea Ray / Mercury combo.

adc5282

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Motor locked up, trying to decide to fix or sell as is. it’s a 175 Sport Jet. looks like pulling the motor in one of these is not too bad. anyone know if a short block can be purchased or if a power head from an outboard be used?

View attachment 191629
View attachment 191630
I have a 1994 Sea Rayder. Really fun boat. I had the engine rebuilt, so we’re strong there. But it needs a new jet drive.

TDavis

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 1994 Sea Rayder. Really fun boat. I had the engine rebuilt, so we’re strong there. But it needs a new jet drive.
I have seen a few on Facebook marketplace, craigslist, ect. Being parted out. Also some of the parts are still available new. Mine ended up just needing a flywheel. Was able to order a new one from mercury.